Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cat repellent spray (interior)
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Just got new sofas, would like to deter my cats from scratching it – anyone got any recommendations for repellent sprays that work?
    The last cheap one I used had no effect…

wwaswas

We’ve ,managed to train ours to only use the scratching post by putting it in the lounge and using lots of catnip on it – I think ‘distraction’ may be the only real technique that’ll work if you don’t catch them doign it and use the old ‘spray with lots water’ technique on them.

cranberry
    Free Member

We used Feliway for one of ours when she started marking everywhere when there were other cats in the house. It can apparently also be used to deter scratching:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/a/Feliway.htm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

+1 for Feliway.

There’s a spray we use and have liberally dosed the new sofa with it. Scratching post is alongside it. Fine so far (about three months)

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

there is a joke there about middle aged IT consultants MTB’ers and pussy [cat] repellant but in light of the current crackdown I am reluctant to risk it

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My rescue kitten started scratching and weeing everywere, I don’t mean spraying, I mean everything was a litter tray. We used feliway and he’s now chilled out and we haven’t had any accidents. It’s expensive but works. The spray them with water technique is controversial in it’s effectiveness according to my vet who sold me the expensive feliway.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

For info, it’s just one of the cats that goes mentalist on occasion & runs round everywhere usually ending up with her hanging off one of the old sofas, pulling herself along sideways.
    Highly amusing, but she never takes interest in the scratchposts, unless she’s in this funny mood – in which case, she runs from one end of the house to the other, uses the scratchpost then finishes her episode on the sofa…

Guess i’ll just get whatever the pet shop has on the shelves.

hels
    Free Member

She might be bored ? Does she have any toys ? My cats fave toy for getting rid of pent up energy is a wee laser pen thing, she can chase the dot of light for many many hours. Sadly I get bored first.

Or you could throw a rug, or even a “throw” (they have them in “design stores”) over the main area of claw purchase, that might be quite entertaining.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I’ve heard a citrus cleaner / degreaser works well to discourage cats from making a ‘mess’ in the same place more than once. They generally hate getting anything citrus-y on their paws.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They generally hate getting anything citrus-y on their paws.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

ha – love that pic!
    Hels, she’s not bored, we keep her plenty amused playing, etc. She doesn’t do it much at all, just that when she does have a good stretch/claw she uses the sofa or bed-base. The other cat does the same but politely uses his scratchpost, she rarely bothers with hers (or his).
    Both cats love fleecy throws/blankets – I don’t want to be covering the entire living room in them though!

I got some spray at lunchtime, does have citronella in it, as well as some sort of repellent chemical.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cat repellent spray (interior)’ is closed to new replies.