Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • cassette tightness.
  • larry

Just how tight should I do up my cassette? Should I keep going when it starts making that horrible clunking noise or is that over doing it, I have done it for years but have a feeling I have been doing it wrong! no harm done it seems but how tight is the correct tightness? I have no torque wrench by the way. Sorry its such a numpty question. 😀

Jammy111
    Free Member

tight enough, but not too tight 😆

PJay
    Free Member

Every cassette I've ever fitted (and it's not that many) have had 40Nm marked on the lockring. I only work on my own bike so I've not really managed to develop a 'feel' for torque so do use a torque wrench. I don't know how 40Nm translates into 'feel'.

What clunking are you refering to, lockrings make quite a loud cracking noise as they're tightened. If your cassette is clunking as you ride something doesn' seem right.

lipseal
    Free Member

Why ask if you have been doing it for years without problems? 🙄

nmdbase
    Free Member

Erm, buy a torque wrench and do it up to 40NM, that's how tight it should be 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice and tight – the cracking is serrations designed to stop them coming undne – I wind it up nicew and tight with a big spanner. 40 nm is the equivalent of 4 bags of sugar on a metre long spanner. Quite a lot.

larry

Cheers all.

DM52
    Free Member

40 nm is the equivalent of 4 bags of sugar on a metre long spanner.

brown or white sugar? 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

African or Jamaican sugar ?

lipseal
    Free Member

Need 80 bags if its splenda sugar! 😛

aracer
    Free Member

Every cassette I've ever fitted (and it's not that many) have had 40Nm marked on the lockring

The ones I've done have said "400kgfcm" – almost the same as 40Nm, but not quite – I think you're undertightening 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘cassette tightness.’ is closed to new replies.