Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cassette question
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Hi guys

Whats the difference, except the size range & possibly weight, between MTB & Road cassettes?

I’m looking for an 11-28 cassette for the CX bike which has a 105 rear mech and where as there seems to be loads of this type branded as MTB cassettes the only ones branded as Road are a lot more expensive 😕

So, any one know if there is a difference or is it just the likes of CRC & Wiggle grouping stuff together which can be used for either discipline?

Cheers

PJM1974
    Free Member

The gear range is much wider on a mountain bike cassette. 11-28 is do-able on an MTB, but it’s very, very rare (you can order this size in Shimano SLX trim). You’ll simply run out of climbing gears quicker.

Remember that most MTBs run between 11-34 and 11-32 although 11-36 is falling into favour lately. A roadie rear mech probably won’t cope with this range, they tend to be much closer ratios.

Downhillers on the other hand do tend to go for roadie cassettes and mechs, but there are DH specific groupsets which sidestep this.

br
    Free Member

Normally road cassettes are both lighter and cheaper than the MTB – have you checked weights against prices?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt there a difference in spacing between road and MTB 10spd cassettes also? I think 9spd is the same though.

druidh
    Free Member

You can use a Shimano 10-speed MTB cassette with Shimano 10-speed STIs. You just need a 9-speed rear mech.

PaulD
    Free Member

In general Road cassettes go up to 27T, so have mechs that track that range. These mechs will usually run up to 30T but Shimano do not guarantee it.

MTB cassettes run up to 36T so have a mech that will track this.

Saint is an adjustable mech for road or MTB cassettes.

The cage length (short middle or long) is merely a means of taking up the chain slack and is usually approx 25, 35 and 45 teeth range measured as the total difference between large+large and small+small sprockets+chainrings.

So in summary, get a mech to match the cassette max sprocket with a cage to match the range of front and back rings.

PaulD

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok sorry I’m not sure if I’m being a bit thick & not understanding what you guys are saying or if its me not explaining myself properly (most likely the latter!)

I want to run a 9 speed mtb cassette on my CX bike which has a 105 short cage rear mech. Will this work?

Cheers again 😉

br
    Free Member

I want to run a 9 speed mtb cassette on my CX bike which has a 105 short cage rear mech. Will this work?

Depends on how many teeth the largest ring has as, as said above, your 105 will only work upto 27/28. If you want to run a 11-32/34/36 cassette, then you’ll need a new mech.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A 28tooth rear cassette WILL work. With a 32 or larger the top jockey wheel may catch on the largest cog.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cassette question’ is closed to new replies.