Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cassette moves on hub
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I don't know if the title describes the problem correctly.

I have read this: Skipping Chain and my problem seems to be very similar.

I have noticed that my cassette does have quite a lot of lateral play on the hub. possibly 2mm or so. Is this acceptable? It seems to me that 2mm is a substantial amount compared to a chain width.

TIA

Andrew

wwaswas

1) the cassette shouldn't move/rock at all.

2) are you sure it's not the whole freehub moving rather than the cassette on its own?

Keva
    Free Member

tighten it up ?

you'll need one of these :

like this >

Kev

cynic-al
    Free Member

2mm play at the big cog in not unheard of for shimano freehubs at least.

How old is the chain/cassette? Could be wear.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Can't be sure if whole hub is moving. Looks like cassette only.

Chain is brand new.
    Entire wheel is a Mavic Crossmax ST

The cassette also rotates (clockwise and then back) a bit when the chain bounces up and down (a la chain slap). Is this normal? I only noticed it on the new bike (pre-used drivetrain, except chain which is new).

wwaswas

are you using the mavic 'we made the freehub too wide' spacer with the cassette?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The cassette also rotates (clockwise and then back) a bit when the chain bounces up and down (a la chain slap). Is this normal? I only noticed it on the new bike (pre-used drivetrain, except chain which is new).

When freewheeling? Yes.

rickmeister

Probably the usual wear in the nylon bush inside the freehub. Another sympton is freewheel "howling" at speed….

Its a simple fix, 30 mins. Get a kit from ebay and DIY, save some cash.
    clicky

There are videos on how to do this from facetube. Search for Rogue Mechanic

If you buy a kit from the States, I just got caught for £13 tax.. but its still cheaper.

HTH Rick

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I took it to my LBS and he agreed that it wasn't right. He inspected the hub for play and it was fine.

He added some spacers from a 10 spreed road cassette. This reduced the wobble but didn't eliminate it. Tried a new cassette. No improvement.

As I was rushing off for the weekend I took the wheel with my old cassette and the spacers. The first time I tried to pedal it jumped all over, but it was soon fixed with a few turns on the barrel. Rode the bike hard over the weekend without any problems. 😀

Also, after I mentioned the Mavic extra-wide hub feature, he had a look in the Mavic catalogue and found a spacer that fits the grooves on the hub so hopefully, even the remaining wobble will be eliminated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cassette moves on hub’ is closed to new replies.