Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Cars you bought for fun II
  • righog
    Free Member

For some reason it seemed like a good time to resurrect this thread 😆

Cars you bought for fun 1

Here’s one of mine ( now gone )

I Still have not bought a replacement due to life getting in the way but it will be some form of cheap 2 seater roadster..In which i hope to disgust some people while driving it 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

God I miss it.

1990 Eunos 1.6. Cheap coilovers, wide tyres, no cat or centre silencer & a ‘loud’ silencer

It was awesome.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A slightly beefed up one of these.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I once bought a Sierra 2.8 XR4x4 for fun.
    The intention was to strip it out and go to track days. But never found the time.
    We did take it around the estate where I work (Private road) and it went like a stabbed rat.
    Sold it to a bloke who took it to a track day and put it in on the grass, span and wrecked it.

It was funny when we bought it, the guy was selling his pride and joy (for £500) and was amazed we were just getting it for a laugh.

matt_outandabout

I never have.

🙁

sweepy
    Free Member

I’d love an old landy, but I’d worry it was too reliable. practical and economical. To avoid these pitfalls as a 19yr old I brought myself one of these

(not this one but I couldn’t afford film with all the petrol and insurance bills, this is the closest pic I could find)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Like this.

Duffer
    Free Member

Not mine, but pretty much identical:

Bought for the grand sum of £450 quid, about 10 years ago (it was a ’96 / P reg). Bonkers brilliant turbo fun. It chewed it’s own gearbox in the end.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mk2 Toyota MR2

It was almost like the day it drove out the factory (it was 12 years old). I loved it, the wife hated it 😆

SaxonRider

@sweepy: I take it you’re American or Canadian?

I can’t imagine that Pontiac would have been all that manoeuvrable around the roads of GB.

Is it a LeMans, btw? What year?

globalti
    Free Member

The only vehicles I’ve ever actually owned were about a dozen different motorbikes and this:

Sadly missed, sold to a bloke with zero mechanical sympathy who told us: “I just want something to run into the ground.” From the current MOT record that’s exactly what he’s in the process of doing.

jimw
    Free Member

I had two Alfa Romeo 1600GT Juniors as second cars in the late 80’s early 90’s one after the other. The first was mechanically very sound but had body work issues that I sorted out,. Should never have sold that one but….The second had a good body but problems with the transmission I never fully got to the bottom of. should never have bought that one but….. Sold to fund a round the world trip.

If I could have combined the two I would have had a cracking car.

Both were fun to drive about in

sweepy
    Free Member

Good spot Saxonrider, it was indeed a LeMans sports coupe, 73/4 I think
    I’m British, was living in London when I had it and it didnt feel too unwieldy. Not that I cared anyway, I was a kid and thought I was the dogs nob in it 🙂

alexpalacefan

I had one a bit like this:

Bought it with the contents of my £1 and £2 pound coin jar. It was great until the sunroof started leaking. The smell of leather and walnut replaced by wet dog.

APF

leftyboy
    Free Member

Don’t have any pictures to hand but had one of the original Williams Clios which was a bonkers little car – probably one of the best cars I’ve ever owned from a fun/driving perspective. I also had an E30 M3 and an E36 M3, the E30 was sublime but the E36 was a better road car overall.

I now drive 2 x boring Fords but on the plus side they do transport bikes well!

atlaz
    Free Member

Not mine but I bought one. Uneconomical to repair properly as a 24-year old. Drove nicely but was a pain in the arse so I moved back to London and sold it.

SaxonRider

Had it from 2003 until 2005, in which time I drove it as a rolling restoration. The best was when I had to make my way from Manchester to Lampeter in it. Man those roads were AMAZING in that car!

Daffy

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Camping. trips, mountain biking, pony club rallies, shopping and school runs. No carpet. No aircon. I removed the bulkhead and put a quick release seat in the back and gave it a tow bar for the horse box. We’ve had more fun in and thanks to this in the past year than all my other cars combined.

Daffy

Followed by this:

timber

Mazda MX5 Mk2 1.8iS
    Porsche 944S2

Fun car is now a Panda 100hp, we tell ourselves it’s practical, but nothing can be transported safely with that little suspension and such limited use of the brake pedal. Very fun drive.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Picked up a 205xs 4 months ago. Cracking car. Cam, skim and a 4-2-1 manifold and it’ll be all over the gti’s. Cam belt last weekend, just fitted mintex pads and disks today. New beam and B6 shocks next weekend. I earn enough that I don’t need to get my fingers dirty with cars so I must still enjoy it!

geoffj

And

And

and if my new contract works out I’ll be able to chop in the ever so sensible 320d tourer for something like Daffy posted above

Duffer
    Free Member

Picked up a 205xs 4 months ago.

Any pics? I love 205s, especially those without 1.9 engines…

oliverracing

Bought this last week!

158bhp and 850kg so should be lively!

Needs a fair amount of work, waterproofing, soundproofing and generally needs a bit of tidying up, but hope to have it as my only car for my final year at uni after placement.

righog
    Free Member

OLiver racing…Midas Gold ?

oliverracing

GTM K3 😀

olly2097
    Free Member

This. I bought this for fun. £370. Failed mot. Needed very little.
    0-60 in 7.2 (apparently) and weighs bugger all.
    It’s the VTS not the common as muck VTR.
    Stripped with bucket seats etc. Awesome on track days for no money.

Future classic the 16v VTS. I tell thee.

sijackson
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a Land Pig. Couldn’t believe how shite they were in standard form so had to spend the next two years rebuilding it. Stock on the outside but now running a Eales 4.2 V8 on EFI, a trick Ashcroft five speed, fancy diffs, big Zeus brakes, power steering, 900×16 on 1 ton rims and reworked suspension. It’s a thirsty but fun way of dragging bikes around.

richmars

Can’t get the photo link to work, but I’ve had two kit cars for fun, a Westfield sold when a got married, and the current 7 lookalike, which is about 400kg, 110bhp, 12000rpm red line, 6 speed sequential gearbox, and bleeding ears within 30 minutes.

dannybgoode

None yet but I keep looking at Alfa 147 GTA’s or Alfa GT V6. Completely daft I know but as the last few weeks have sown me you only live once…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought one of these new after a stonking bonus back in 2005, I still have it, it’s ace. 3.2 DSG. (this isn’t my photo, but it looks the same, apart fro RHD obvs)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Had a few mx5’s now, and an mr2 which was my favourite. Looking to get a mk1 mx5 this year. Have a real itch for an integrale though, prices are rising so if i want to scratch it it’s likely now or never.

richmars

Have a real itch for an integrale though, prices are rising so if i want to scratch it it’s likely now or never.

Been there, got the t shirt!
    A few years ago, I knew I wouldn’t be able to afford to keep it for long, but it was pretty good year! (red, 8 valve)
    I also keep looking at prices. maybe if I sell the kit car and a kidney.

onandon
    Free Member

Sijackson, that, is a fantastic vehicle.

bobbym
    Free Member

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Lancia-Delta-HF-Integrale-Evolution-Outstanding-Example-/271890866819?nav=SEARCH

I imported this from Japan, kept it for year then sold it to Walkers. They’ve had it for about 18 months now. Deeply regret selling it, but I had promised the Mrs that I would only keep it for a year.

pictonroad

All of my vehicles are bought on utterly spurious basis, I don’t commute by car and generally cycle everywhere so practicality doesn’t really feature. Here the ones that are in my photobucket, there’s been loads. 😳

And currently this:

But the financial circumstances dictated by 2 kids and 1 income means that this will almost certainly be the last. It’s been fun.

Edit- no idea how to link to Flickr images on a phone, you’ll have to use your imagination.

richmars

bobbym,
    Nice, mine below. I was single at the time, but still didn’t have the money to treat it right. Sold it to a bloke from New Zealand who had come over to find one, and was staying with mates two doors down!
    link to photo as image thing not working for me this morning!

tenfoot

MG Metro. Not the sexiest of cars, but quite sprightly and very nimble. It even had red seat belts

My current company car, a 120d M Sport. Now I know I don’t own it, but when I joined my company I had a choice of this or a very boring A3. The car is costing lots more in tax, because it’s loaded up with toys, but it does go like stink, and it’s got red leather seats. Red leather seats! 😯

pictonroad

I pulled a 3.5l engine out of a 7 series and stuck it in an E30 estate, that was a weapon… 😈

That’s as many images as I can cope with loading on this forum with a hangover. (Admittedly the white BMW may have had a hint of practicality to it but it was a definite heart over head decision and utterly bankrupted me..)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cars you bought for fun II’ is closed to new replies.