Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Carrying stuff on a ride (darkside)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

to avoid death

Pansy!

My pump is pretty light; but more importantly CO2 only works once 🙂 Two punctures and you're screwed.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – if I showed you the junction, you'd understand…!

druidh
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

My pump is pretty light; but more importantly CO2 only works once Two punctures and you're screwed.

Take an extra cartridge?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bike junk in saddle bag. Down sleeping bag, beanie, merino longs, baselayer in dry bag, food, waterproof and lights, phone, wallet etc in pockets.

If you're not riding for two days, you probably won't need anything in the dry bag.

Micro sized saddle bag contains tube, real patches, quick patches, pump, asthma inhaler, multitool, tyre levers, powerlinks, brake pads, gear cable, zip ties.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think I may be underpacking.

Rides of 20-150 miles have the same kit (pump, tube, CO2, multitool, levels, chain link, chain tool).

Drinks on a short ride (up to 60 miles) in one bottle. Poss refilled if hot.

Food for up to 70 miles = 2 gels in back pocket.

Other pockets have phone, bank card, ID, cash, house key, inhaler.

Why the need for all these extra provisions? Are you all going on expedition?

this ^
    just use jersey pockets, have a small pump/co2 thingy (it works as pump too) a lightweight tool, park patches and tube. still enough room for food/keys/phone.

can even fit a gilet, armwarmers or a stowaway jacket if needed. i have a small saddlebag but only used that on the tour of flanders for more tubes and extra food.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Two punctures and you're screwed.

Not if you have more than one cartridge. But I get where you're coming from. I use c02 so I can get the tyres up to a proper pressure, the mini pump I use does as an emergency 'get me home on 60psi' job only.

Can't believe someone up there carries brake pads with them.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you're doing 400+k and the pad material comes off the backing, you fancy doing the remainder on one brake?

For a 200k road ride all I take is the saddle bag and some food. Its not like caliper brakes get this issue.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you're doing 400+k and the pad material comes off the backing, you fancy doing the remainder on one brake?

No, but I'd fit a set of pads that were fit for the trip before I set off.

druidh
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member

For a 200k road ride all I take is the saddle bag and some food. Its not like caliper brakes get this issue.

And the probability of pad material coming off is? It's something I've never had happen to me. I can think of lots of other eventualities which might require the carrying of spares too – where do you draw the line?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

LOL at the indignation.

where do you draw the line?

Taking an extra bike? For 10g of brake pad, which packs up absolutely miniscule, I can't see the issue. Its like taking a gear cable, which can be used as a brake cable in an emergency. Unless you snap the frame in half you're probably covered for every likely eventuality.

Like I say, I never bother with caliper brakes, I just make sure there is plenty of rubber left on them, and i wouldn't bother if I wasn't off out for several days.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can get 90psi from my mini pump as it's pretty narrow bore. Doesn't take that long either. A lot faster and easier than pumping up a 2.3 with my wider bore mtb pump, actually 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't take cables or pads, but then I do carry my phone so I can phone the Mrs to come and rescue me 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

See, I don't have that luxury.

I can get 120psi from my mini pumps.

On a quick road ride I just jam a pump and tube in my back pocket.

RealMan
    Free Member

Take the **** suitcase off the back of the saddle.

Think I'll just stick with my "**** suitcase" then.

Thanks for the Ventoux tips ourmaninthenorth, we're actually going to do all 3 climbs in 1 day. I'm just hoping its not too windy, or I may get blown off my bloody bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ah Ventoux. I died a thousand deaths, but I was dead chuffed I did it. No wind on the day we went up, jeez, the heat coming up from the road.

RealMan
    Free Member

What chainrings and cassette were you running when you did it? I've currently got a normal 34/50 compact and 12-27 cassette on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I leave an innertube taped between my saddle rails, pump fits in the frame, phone, keys, wallet in back pokets, maybe a cereal bar as well.

1 bottle of water per hour in this heat, if I'm out for more than 2 then either
    a) drink less
    b) stop and fill them up, plenty of places if you know where to look!

What else do you need? At this time of year even the rain is warm, and if its winter and raining I just dont bother! Half the appeal of road bikes to me is the lack of faffing needed to get going.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What chainrings and cassette were you running when you did it? I've currently got a normal 34/50 compact and 12-27 cassette on.

I did Ventoux on 39×25, this may have contributed to 500 of my 1000 deaths:

I felt fine on the preceeding 4 (small) climbs, then BANG! Completely blew before I even made it to Chateau Reynard. So it was a case of sit back and grind like a dog.

RealMan
    Free Member

I did Ventoux on 39×25

If I feel bad at all while riding it myself, I will just think of you, and will instantly MTFU. You must have at least 5 testicles, all the size of tennis balls.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, it's just the way he walks 😉

Besides, you'll note that he didn't exactly find that gearing comfortable… (and it's worth noting that a lot of the TdF pros who rode Ventoux that year rode the same gearing…)

RustySpanner

Some or all of the following:

Seatpack:
    Multi-tool, two spare tubes, repair kit if it's a long ride.

Rucksack:
    Pump, map/guidebook, camera, phone, keys, wallet, lights, spare mini-lights, waterproof, possibly a spare layer, sunnies wrapped in a buff, jelly babies, couple of granola bars.
    Camelback if it's a long ride. Usually forget to take the compass and whistle out, so they stay in as well. Suntan lotion.

Two bottles on the bike.

If it’s a really nice day and I know there’s a pleasant café or pub on route, I may take a book.

After all, it's not a race, is it?

RealMan
    Free Member

If it’s a really nice day and I know there’s a pleasant café or pub on route, I may take a book.

I love that image.

clubber
    Free Member

I wonder if it's possible to buy a book cage to bolt on your bike in place of a bottle cage 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Nah, get a thin enough book, and you could probably stick it on one of those handlebar map holders for audax riders. Then you can read while you ride..

crazy-legs

You're obviously all a bunch of amateurs. I have one of these following behind me at all times:

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Carrying stuff on a ride (darkside)’ is closed to new replies.