Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • careertrack – what job? post No.4370375
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Does anyone here choose their jobs/careers based on their personality?

I only ask as I’m looking for my next job/career and I’m increasingly being led by the kind of working environment I don’t want to be working in. I’m not overly chatty apart from people I genuinely like; I’m not great in the company of deliberately awkward people or shysters. I don’t fancy managing people and I’m not one for chairing meetings, working with external stakeholders etc. Don’t get me wrong I’m no hermit and can come across as bright and articulate but naturally I’m not one to take the lead in work and will quite happily let others do that.

I know there’s ‘outside one’s comfort zone’ and all that but I’d much rather do a job working with very few people and not having to contend with lots of external interference e.g. emails from all over the place, most of which are dealing in strategic thinking etc.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Thanks

Sundayjumper

Wow, you sound worryingly similar to me !

The question could be less about which job you do and more about where you do it. I do a lot of shuffling of spreadsheets, not very thrilling, but my current job is the best one I’ve had, and it’s due to the people. The actual work is really quite similar. My previous job I positively hated within a year. Because of so many difficult people.

I don’t know what you do, but maybe doing it for a different company in a different industry might be a good change of scenery ?

CountZero

All of my jobs have been obtained either through knowing someone who helped get me the job via a family connection, then just being lucky having the right experience for a job turning up at the right time, then three jobs on the trot where I’ve got them because I previously worked with people at the previous company, in one case I’ve worked with one chap at three successive companies.
    The last one was a sheer fluke, spotting a job advertised on here via my google searches, replying that evening, getting a call the next morning, and starting the job the day after that, with zero prior experience.
    And it’s a job I really enjoy, after the last one became a stress-ridden misery!
    I’ve always worked well with others but preferred to work on my own, roughly autonomous, but still answering to a supervisor; I really couldn’t be doing with being in any kind of organisational position, or supervisory, I just like to be given a job, and be left to get the hell on with it.
    Doing car delivery driving for the logistics arm of a major car auction company is perfect for me, there’s minimal interference, so long as I do my appraisal quickly, and get the car where it’s supposed to be as quickly as possible, within legal limits and allowing for traffic conditions, then I’m left alone to drive and listen to the radio!
    Couldn’t be better, really. 😀

Sundayjumper

I’m left alone to drive and listen to the radio

I’m a little bit jealous of your job, tbh !

RobHilton
    Free Member

OP, you sound like an analyst.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘careertrack – what job? post No.4370375’ is closed to new replies.