Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cardboard Helmet
  • rootes1
    MrSparkle

That’s good. I’m beginning to think that this one I made out of bog roll isn’t so good. Especially when it’s been raining.

thomthumb
    Free Member

paper cuts. ow.

LHS
    Free Member

Nice design, use of cardboard has been tried and tested before. It does offer high energy absorption and better controlled deceleration than EPS, but the properties of it over time are questionable, and from the work I have seen before, the thickness of the outer shell tended to be thicker to provide better support to the cardboard matrix and when taking the thickness of this outer layer into account it decreased the protection due to having lower flexibility.

Maybe not as relevant to cycling but it offers very poor intrusion / penetration protection, so your head would be more prown to injuries from things penetrating through. This is more applicable in aerospace though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That would be right manky after a couple of sweaty rides.

superdale
    Free Member

Right I am off home to cut two holes in the box of Krave I finished at breakfast & save myself a fortune. 🙄

Trimix
    Free Member

It makes some good points. Our normal helmets are pretty crap and do tend to leave us feeling more safe than we are.

I used to work for a company that made them and the test they needed to pass the standards was laughable, it in no way represented a normal crash.

rootes1

I used to work for a company that made them and the test they needed to pass the standards was laughable, it in no way represented a normal crash

yer rubbish standards…they are everywhere..
    bit like the BS toilet flush test…

toilets must be able to flush away two ping pong balls…. ‘realistic’

Japanese on the other mould realistic turds from soya etc and use those for their flush tests

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cardboard Helmet’ is closed to new replies.