Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon worrier…….?
  • FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Evening all.

I really like the look of the On-One carbon 29er race but are carbon frames a good idea for long term ownership?

Today I took a piece of flint from the garden and gashed it across an old steel frame, an old ally frame and, don’t laugh, an old carbon squash racket. The racket looks buggered, the metal frames don’t.

Is carbon really a good idea as an MTB frame for someone who rides a lot and doesn’t change frames often?

Thanks!

FC

cullen-bay
    Free Member

so long as it is decent carbon. eg not made for on-one. also, buy carbon if you think it is worth it for the warranty period.

Wookster

DO NOt I SAY AGAIN DO NOT BUY A CARBON ANYTHING!!! I rode a carbon tennis racket ( the 29er of the racquet world) at les get last week it broke carbon entered my little toe (I was wearing flip flops) and through my blood stream it has entered my brain stem. The Doctors say it will be fatal they don’t know when but they say it could be any moment nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww…………………….j.gvjbvjbcghfxhgugvjh.

Carbon is fine I’m in a better place now and Mother Teresa is doing whips over the doubles on a Mojo HD…….. 😆

Coleman
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.
    Live fast. Die young!!

PS. All my bikes are carbon but I’m only 55.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

wookster got away lightly i think.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I think!

I must admit the two year warranty from On-One seems a bit poor compared to the ten year / lifetime warranties from all the big manufacturers.

Cullen-bay, do you think there are issues with On-One carbon frames?

scruzer
    Free Member

any more stories/tales/truths?

rustler
    Free Member

Check out the niner website, there is a video of a chap giving their carbon fork a right bashing with a hammer. And I’m guessing that cullen chap above is some kind of material scientist, who has personally tested On-One carbon kit to the extreme, in order to make such a statement…thought not. 😉

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Ooooo cheers rustler, that’s just the sort of real world mashing type proof I’m after. By the by, do you ride carbon?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I really like the look of the On-One carbon 29er race but are carbon frames a good idea for long term ownership?

they’ll be good for two years (warranty period)

stories of BB’s coming out of the planet X track frames, the SL’s seem to be reliable, so it’s who knows!

if I wanted something to last forever I would buy something with a lifetime warranty

IA

I had a carbon DH bike that lasted 6 years till i crashed big and wrecked it, and put myself in intensive care.

The carbon bits were fine, it was an alloy part that cracked.

parkesie
    Free Member

Road bikes carbon, mtbs steel had various carbon bits never broke a thing its always been the alloy parts that snap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon worrier…….?’ is closed to new replies.