Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carbon Whippet, equivalent frame without a BB92?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

As mentioned previously on here, going to be used a lot for commuting and had decided on the On-one whippet carbon, however somebody pointed out the use of the BB92 and warned me against it. Upon reading reviews this BB doesn’t seem particularly brilliant especially considering what a commuting bike will be put through.

So, Whippet equivalent? Ideally with a the natural carbon black look.

Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

eBay special.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

That’s what I had come into my head, was going to look up any horror stories from them.

avdave2

I went for the C456 partly because of the bb on the whippet as I didn’t want to buy a new chainset. It’s still a light frame and more versatile than the whippet. I run mine as an xc machine with 100mm forks with a slackset and it’s great.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

@avdave2 – That’s really my only other option, but I have a bike for mountain duties, I feel going down the C456 route means bigger forks etc, whereas the main idea behind this build is a full carbon fast commuter.

Ohhhh decisions!

P20

I’d have a look at the eBay carbon 29ers

GSuperstar
    Free Member

See I kind of want to stay away from 29ers purely based on the 2nd hand aspect of not so many parts about.

I think the Whippet is literally perfect other than the BB92 🙁

shaggy

Whats wrong with BB92? I’ve had it in two frames with no problems.

mrjmt
    Free Member

One of them carbon cycles things?

darryl1983
    Free Member

Does it need to be Carbon? the Scandal is a similar weight and reviews seem to say it rides very well.

honourablegeorge

BB92 is fine, except that the cheapo plastic-shelled Shimano BBs that come as standard on a lot of bikes are shite.

Even at that, mine lasted a good year.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Yeah I’m wanting it specifically for the carbon aspect but I’ll have a look at the Scandal.

That exotic looks amazing actually, will start checking up specs etc 😀

The BB92 I’ve read a lot of bad reviews on, but more so from the fact as mentioned before, with a standard BB it’s easier to find parts 2nd hand.

Thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Apart from different tools to fit/remove it there’s no issues IMO with BB92. Mine’s been fine for ages, as least as long as HT2 BB in previous bikes.

honourablegeorge

GSuperstar – Member

The BB92 I’ve read a lot of bad reviews on, but more so from the fact as mentioned before, with a standard BB it’s easier to find parts 2nd hand

Not sure I follow you there – the parts are no different, other than the BB itself – it uses standard Shimano Hollowtech cranks. Unless you’re buying second hand BBs, which would be a bad idea regardless of standard.

avdave2

For a commuter I’d want something I could run a UN55 in.

mrjmt
    Free Member

The other thing that put me of the whippet when i was thinking about one was the chainring bolt / bb area interference issue when using a triple.
    Not sure if thats been sorted yet (other than taking a file to your crankset). Prob wouldn’t need a granny ring on a commuter anyway though…

GSuperstar
    Free Member

For some reason I had in my head that it needed different cranks to purpose fit the BB92? I can only presume I’ve thought that while mixing up what people have said about chain rings not fitting.

I’ll only be running a single ring upfront, I suppose in that case I shouldn’t rule it out from the BB.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Whippet, equivalent frame without a BB92?’ is closed to new replies.