Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What big cushion like tyres for a Singlespeed in winter?
  • Kryton57

So fat, fast rolling and grippy in mud, to replace the plasticky feel of trailrakers??

(and in case you are wondering why… 🙂)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fast rolling and grippy in mud?

druidh
    Free Member

Husker Du

BigJohn

Bontrager XR4

jonba
    Free Member

Those bontys were cheap on JE james a while back. 2.4″ mountainkings mk 2 would also work. What I run on mine.

sparkyrhino

+1 for xr4,still on offer at allterrain cycles, big and comfy.

wwaswas

tbh, if you’re doing singlespeed properly you won’t be sitting down much anyway 😉

motorman
    Free Member

Bontrager Big Earl Wet Stability Control 2.7″ £14 JeJames

here

Dunno if they are any good, but they are big, squishy & says on the tin they do mud n’ stuff

Kryton57

I’m liking the xr4. What’s the difference between Team issue (available) am Expert (seems hard to find)?

fizzicist
    Free Member

Another vote for XR4 – they come up big, roll fast, grip like shit to a blanket and aren’t pricey. Big Earl are disappointing by comparison.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I’m looking for an XR4 for this exact use.

As they come up big I’m assuming a 2.2 is sufficient, but I can’t find any 2.2 team issue’s in stock anywhere apart from evans i.e expensive.

glenh
    Free Member

I find Maxxspeshager moononstick 2.345s are excellent.

wwaswas

2.345s

😯 good God man! Everyone’s on 2.347’s this winter – the extra air volume makes all the difference.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

tbh, if you’re doing singlespeed properly you won’t be sitting down much anyway

I tend to disagree with this, the more you can sit down on the climbs, the more grip you’ll get as you weight will be on the back wheel and it actually becomes easier than standing. My mate Mark Deacon is really good at this and he very rarely stands up on climbs. He was one of the few people who could actually keep riding at Twentyfour12 as his SS technique is so good. Together with his guts and determination it got him 2nd place in 24 solo.

Kryton57

Cheers for the Bonty XR4 recommendations. I rode them today (2.2s) and they were superb and predictable in mud, and fast rolling and grippy on soft forest loam. Good cushipning too at 35/30 psi. They do come up big I wouldn’t want the 2.35’s.

They’ll be staying on for a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What big cushion like tyres for a Singlespeed in winter?’ is closed to new replies.