Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon to steel??
  • Timmo
    Free Member

hey all! i am in a bit of a quandry here,
    have recently managed to break my old carbon frame (alloy rear drop out on the brake side collapsed when was d#cking around!!) and have had to rebuild my old tech full susser to keep me riding, but am really not enjoying it!
    so have been looking at frames to replace it and have been noticing a lot of positives over the on one 456, and at the price it is its particularly caught my eye,
    the trouble is, the way the carbon bike was in its stiff, direct feel, chuckable, light weight and snappy'ness were what i loved about it (apart from the obvious looks!!) and having not had any real experience on steel frames but dont want to commit to it and find it doesnt do what i like??
    so really the question is are there anyone out there that has either gone from carbon to steel or has both carbon and steel HT for a comaprison??
    i know the general rule is to ride them and get a feel etc. but on a frame only buy its not so easy??
    the other thing is that a replacement carbon frame almost identicle to the one i had can be had for just over £200, so there isnt a Massive jump in prices of them both! would be a lot easier if one was £400+ and the other as per the on one!!!
    any help or tips for a confused mind greatly appreciated!!

Timmo.

clubber
    Free Member

You can't do a comparison of all carbon and steel as so much will depend on the design.

Some steel bikes are flexy/stringy/comfy, some are more rigid than most aluminium frames.

Some carbon bikes are dead and lifeless while others are comfortable and yet stiff in the right directions.

What sort of riding's it for? With that, some specific frame recommendations would be easier.

FWIW the 456 is not a springy steel frame.

Daffy

Weight will NOT be comparable unless you buy a Cotic Soul…even then, it'll still be over 1 lb heavier.

Steel won't be as stiff either.

Timmo
    Free Member

sorry forgot to say its mainly Xc based riding wirtht a bit of 'aggressive xc' here and there if youlike,
    cant really go much over the £200 mark as aiming to save that by feb. (or ask the parents and inlaws for cash for christmas and Birthday – feb, to go towards it)

Daffy

Stiff and light? With aggressive tendencies? Sir needs a Santa Cruz Chameleon….second hand of course!

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the £200 carbon replacement is your best bet. Or a second hand frame off here.

Or IMO just a good aluminium frame.

karnali
    Free Member

timmo do you have alink or any more info on the carbon fraem that is just over 200, fancy a look at that

ta

I_Ache
    Free Member

What about a standard inbred frame?

Timmo
    Free Member

karnali, here you go!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Carbon-Fiber-Bike-MTB-Mountain-Frame-18-Frame_W0QQitemZ370285527346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item5636bcc132

if you look at the ones ending today they are just on the 200 mark rather than 215! build up into a Very nice light HT!

have had a suggestion of a handsome dogg talisman too which at atc is currently £60! could be a goer that??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon to steel??’ is closed to new replies.