Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon seatpost… Google's 4th suggestion! how hot are hairdryers?
  • nedrapier

Looking after a mate's Spesh Allez while he's out of the country. the idea is I get a road bike, he gets a his bike well taken care of and maintained, and it's one less thing to put into storage.

He's a few inches taller than me, so 1st thing is to move the seatpost. Or not. Well and truly stuck.

Slightly tickled by the fact that if you type "Carbon seatpost" into Google, the first suggestion after "cf sp grease" and "cf sp 27.2" is "cf sp stuck"

I've tried 3 in 1 for 2 hours and mighty twisting, Coke for 20 hours + mighty twisting (during which I found out that the LH BB cup is seized too) GT85 and mighty twisting. And boiling water + mighty twisting at each stage.

So should I leave the coke in for longer, leave the penetrating fluid in for longer, or try a 2000W hairdryer?

And how quick do I need to get the heat on? Does the CFRP expand too?

What about the bike upside down with ice water in the seatpost while I try the hairdryer?

I need some sort of loosening, because I reckon the clamp's twisting in the post with the mightiness I've meted out thus far.

Cheers. Fingers crossed my stewardship doesn't start with a big bill!

nedrapier

Right. Hairdryer is bobbins.

Is coke or penetrating oil going to work if I leave it for longer than the 20 hours I've tried already, or am I well into hacksaw territory?

Ta.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

never had a carbon one stuck. the way i have used (might damage the seatpost, but frame will be fine) loads of penetrating oil, removed saddle and wheels, and put the seatpost in a vice and gently twist left and right pulling. be patient, it can take a while.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Silly question, but have you taken the clamp right off the seat tube and tried 'torquing' the clamp splice (huge screw driver or bolster, hand twisting only)?

nedrapier

Cheers dave/dan/doris/Mr(s) Metcalfe

With the twisting I've done so far, the clamp's twisting in the seatpost but the post is stuck fast in the frame. more twisting without more loosening in the frame isn't going to get me anywhere, unless I Araldite the post/clamp join.

Which might be an idea.

nedrapier

Love Tubs, No I haven't!

Will do now. Give us a minute…

nedrapier

Or 55. Tea got in the way. bacon sarnie on malted granary with tomato, rocket pesto and a smidge of ketchup. and a kronenbourg.

Tried that, more oil and jiggling. No dice so far.

Will leave overnight, coke up in the morning and leave for the weekend. Breath held, but only metaphorically.

frank4short
    Free Member

If you're desperate just cut it. Then get a hacksaw blade & extremely carefully cut through the length left in the seat tube on 2 sides. Though i might suggest only resorting to this after exploiting all non heat based attempts to get it out.

nedrapier

Just put this on another thread, but thought I'd finish this one off in case someone goes searching and finds this later.

– coca cola down the seattube over a weekend
    – forcing apart the clamp slot and spraying GT85 (I used the handle of a table knife in an adjutable spanner)
    – boiling water round the top of the seattube.
    – Once you've got it moving a bit, then comes the mighty heaving:
    – left foot in the downtube/seattube junction, heel of the right hand pushing the back of the saddle towards me, left hand on the nose, pulling and twisting. I won about a millimeter of seatpost per quarter turn, then I had to return it to center for another twist n pull.
    – apply more boiling water when it starts too get trickier, every 3 or 4 quarter turns
    – repeat as necessary.

wear gloves! I lost skin on 2 fingers and have a big blister int eh palm of my hand.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seatpost… Google's 4th suggestion! how hot are hairdryers?’ is closed to new replies.