Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon Seatpost
  • actiondan
    Free Member

I seem to have overtightened my seatpost collar and cracked my carbon seatpost,i.e, slithers of carbon are comming away. Will this be of major detriment to the overall strength of seatpost? I think the actual core is aluminium, it’s a bontrager, wish I’d had a torque wrench…doh! 😳 Advice welcome

Dibbs
    Free Member

If it was me, I wouldn’t be using it, sorry.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you’ve been so ham-fisted that you’ve not only cracked the surface epoxy/gel coat layer but crushed it to the point that actual tows of carbon are wandering free on the surface then I think you know the answer already.

Even if it’s not quite as bad as that, but the surface is cracked then the chances of water being absorbed between the plies and aiding delamination is high, so it’s still bin fodder.

The fact that it’s aluminium cored is to give you some residual strength if the carbon ‘rod’ fails (the aluminium tube will bend without the post just shearing off) – it won’t have enough strength in and of itself to compensate being damaged to the extent you describe and carry on working safely.

nickc

If the carbon is just there as decoration then **** it, who cares, but if it’s structural, it’s probably fit for the bin I think

actiondan
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, was kind of expected said answers & yes I know I’ve been ham fisted fookwit 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

slithers of carbon are comming away. Will this be of major detriment to the overall strength of seatpost?

😆

New seat post time.

epicyclo

Epoxy a section of broomstick up the inside. End of problem.

nicko74

Epoxy a section of broomstick up the inside. End of problem.

a section? Shove the whole damn broomstick up there – voila!

epicyclo

It used to cure our dodgy steerers when I were a lad…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the aluminium tube will bend without the post just shearing off

😆 bollocks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.