Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • carbon frame iscg
  • alex222
    Free Member

are there any 5″ – 6″ travel carbon bikes out there with iscg tabs? I can think of none. I know SB66 C should have a removable mount but is that the only one? SC blur LT no mounts Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon no mounts and IBIS mojo sl, hd & the other one – no mounts. Is there any particular reason for this? Or can any one think of a frame that fits this criteria?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no mounts. Is there any particular reason for this?

Probably a difficult load to deal with, why not just use a BB mounted chain device?

alex222
    Free Member

Just the tightness of not wanting to buy a new chain guide. this is all hypothetical currently anyway.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

carbon enduro?

alex222
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to say 135×12 maxle light or 142×12 type drop outs is also part of the remit. Which enduro carbon doesn’t have.

messiah
    Free Member

Good job it’s hypothetical… bombers to the head if your thinking of buying a carbon frame around your existing chain guide… unless it’s made of woven supermodel ladygarden plucked by your good self and hence has huge personnal value.

IA

You’ve got coin for a carbon AM bike but not a chain device? Stop penny-pinching 😉

frank4short
    Free Member

Carbon nomad. Though i’d have to agree with those above that say it’s a nonsense letting your existing chain device dictate your choice of new frame. When realistically pretty much every carbon AM frame on the market will cost in excess of 2-2.2K for the frame alone.

alex222
    Free Member

I have a saracen ariel currently. Which I am not intending to change anytime soon. Should I wish to these are the parameters. Though there don’t seem to be many options available.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I think the manufacturers are too scared of risking it. Clearances are tight around the BB and the volume of material is normally greater with composites so there is probably good reason. I tried to fit a BB mount ISCG adapter to mine which wouldn’t go anywhere near.

You could probably make it as part of the aluminium BB insert and carry the loads into the frame okay (no different to a BB mount one then) but you would have to shape the frame around it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nomads C has ISCG05 tabs.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Just incase it wasn’t clear already, NOMAD C. end of thread!

jonk

just buy a BB attached iSCG mount

vinnyeh

Just incase it wasn’t clear already, NOMAD C. end of thread!

Although the Mojo HD and the dedicated MRP chain guide will still cost less than the Nomad.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

True, especially when they are £1750 for a HD mojo from a certain L’s bike shop 😛

fbk
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Spicy come in carbon now?

compositepro
    Free Member

Probably because a carbon frame will shatter into a million pieces and any dust generated will migrate towards your heart so there was no point in marketing such a toy

Or so the theory goes if you read the or stw

jimjam
    Free Member

fbk – Member

Doesn’t the Spicy come in carbon now?

Yes, the 916. The 2011 zesty had iscg tabs so I’d presume the 2012 one will as well. Zesty and spicy not available as frame only though which is what I pressume the op wants.

it sounds like the op is choosing his carbon frame based on the rear wheel and cg of his existing bike? Personally I’d get the bike with the best geometry and performance which would be an enduro/stumpjumper without a shadow of a doubt depending what side of 5 or 6 inches he wants to choose from..

alex222
    Free Member

I thought carbon had better loading characteristics than almost any other material though in almost any loading situation; ie point loading as you would find in an iscg type mount.. It is a hypothetical question. If Nomad C has iscg tabs why doesn’t blur ltc or blur trc? Just curious really.

andyl
    Free Member

I thought carbon had better loading characteristics than almost any other material though in almost any loading situation; ie point loading as you would find in an iscg type mount.

Don’t understand what you are on about there so can’t comment on it.

alex222
    Free Member

I thought that carbon is a material which can take loading (forces being applied) better than most materials. Is this true?

Also asking why if SC make a Nomad C with iscg mounts why the other frames blur ltc and blur trc don’t have the iscg mounts?

Vortexracing

Don’t understand what you are on about there so can’t comment on it.

you really have not got the STW ethos have you? 😆

Moulding CFC (Carbon) tabs on a BB shell will be a pain in the arse, Carbon does is not always better than metal in certain cases.

simondbarnes

Trek Remedy 9.x

simondbarnes

Stumpjumper FSR Carbon

andyl
    Free Member

you really have not got the STW ethos have you?

damn, slipped up there…erm quick I need to have a quick rant/insult/bombers/what tyres/helmet or not/childs face… 😀

Alex – I get you now…

You can design composites to take load directions in tailored paths better than other materials where you just have physical geometry to play with. ie you align more fibres in the main load direction.

But the problem with something like ISCG tabs is the area is very confined and the forces can be quite brutal – impact from below, chain catching under full power etc. It is hard to build the tabs out of composites to take the direct loads and then also transfer them into the frame. I’m sure it’s not impossible though, just needs more work and then verification testing.

Another problem is the lack of space for tabs as you will see that composite frames are more heavily built around the BB. A lot of this is just confidence in the material, redundancy and the shear cost of really optimising the structure.

All of this can be got around with work and thinking of new approaches and working to meet the specs of an existing standard made for metal frames is always hard to do when a material is very different.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘carbon frame iscg’ is closed to new replies.