Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • carbon frame durabilty?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

can anyone tell me would a carbon frame ht take around 3ft drops? i'm interested in them for their weight obviously but am not the smoothest of riders?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

easily

organic355
    Free Member

I woke up from a dream this morning where I vividly remember that I had snapped my carbon frame at the seat tube, I hope its not an omen of things too come!!!!

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

great cheers

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

if i go with carbon i fear i will be having dreams like that often ha! its one thing that definatly puts me off, worrying on the trail whether or not i should do this drop or wimp out for fear of damaging my bike… i mean by no means will i be hardcoring a carbon frame just having fun on the trails.

ojom
    Free Member

It will be fine.

RepacK
    Free Member

Carbons fine – GT (I think its GT) use a carbon frame for some of their DH'ers. The Santa Cruz Blur LT comes in carbon & thats quite a hardcore trail bike. Dont believe the nay-sayers.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Why should it be any more of an issue than an alloy frame?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

i have just heard a lot of talk that carbon for mtb is a no no. best for road bikes because it breaks easily with drops and bangs etc. like carbon racers say only get one season out of a carbon frame after that they wouldnt trust it etc.

GlenMore
    Free Member

* sniggers *

ojom
    Free Member

thomas – you should try a few out and see what you think.

also… people may have been pulling your leg or making up the usual 'my mate says' style rumours.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

right o cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez. Resolved in 12 posts. What fun is that?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Gt make a world cup downhill bike….from carbon.
    Get an Ibis tranny for a carbon bike if you throw you bikes around/ learn to ride over rather than into stuff.

ojom
    Free Member

and anyway – irrespective of anything – carbon LOOKS amazing.

see –

Lovely. Just lovely.

And –

stoney
    Free Member

What model is that carbon ht ❓

cheers.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I ride a 2000 model Scott Strike. Check out my name. Carbon is fine. 30mph tree strike and the only thing I noticed was the strange 'clack' noise it made before I passed out. That was 2003 and still riding strong.

Trimix
    Free Member

Also get some insurance from M&S with the accidental bit. If you do break it you can get a nice new one.

Back in the old days people used to worry about Aluminium frames – its just the internet hadnt been invented then so it was all gossip and letters to the bike mags.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A pal had a new carbon Stumpjumper, someone crashed into him on the last lap of its first race ride. It broke.

Another had a stone flick up into the linkage of a Stumpjumper Epic on one of the first half dozen rides and it was toast too.

I'd be wary.

I've had two carbon road frames. One delaminated at the head tube where the headset cups locate, and its replacement cracked in the middle of the top tube.

I'd go Ti next time.

ojom
    Free Member

mcmoonter – surely a stone in the linkage of any material bike would cause some problems non?
    Whose to say an alloy Stumpjumper wouldn't have got borkened too when crashed?

Plenty of other materials 'fail' so as to make carbon just another one in the list.

Stoner – its an Ibis Tranny.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MNcMoonter – funny you should say that. i got a Ti frame to complement my carbon one and snapped it in three months.

grantway
    Free Member

I do hear from guys I meet up with and a friend of Carbon
    breaking and for what I ride wouldnt want it near me.

One guy I know he had a Trek carbon trail bike and that cracked
    on the seat tube area

Another guy I know had the new stumjumper and one of the rear
    stays broke.

Recently Sun Line recalled one of the Carbon handle bars

GlenMore
    Free Member

grantway – Member

Recently Sun Line recalled one of the Carbon handle bars

Easton just recalled an alloy stem. What material is yours?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I folded a steel frame once so wouldn't touch that dodgy material again.

Keep it Real – Keep it Carbon

ojom
    Free Member

grantway – do you ride harder than mick hannah?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the material doesnt worry me in the slightest

what worrys me is that youll go out and buy an ultralight race frame and use it for something its not ….

then break it ….then come back whining about carbon being shite

youll have to choose your frame carefully as a heads down arse up race bike isnt going to mind doing the drops but your position on the bike will be all wrong a big % of the time and youll be liable to cock it up more

RepacK
    Free Member

Thats the problem right there rat – "ultralite"..If its not fit for purpose then yr gonna hv problems. I bought a SC Blur XC (cardon), ok I know its not the lightest FS carbon race bike out but it is one of the stiffest so I took that as a good thing..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘carbon frame durabilty?’ is closed to new replies.