Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Carbon, as suitable for mtb stuff as cream cheese…..
  • nimo
    Free Member

well, my carbon answer bars are knackered. I made the stupid mistake of riding my bike over the winter , in the wet and a bit of occasional cable rub as rubbed through the carbon . Brilliant , fantastic. I am now looking around for some handlebars made from cardboard, or maybe pastry for a replacement of a similarly suitable durability……
    Oh well , at least I don’t have anymore of the devils thread on my bike.

Simon

Cable rub on your bars? 😕

ojom
    Free Member

Oh so it’s not the cable rubbing that’s at fault. It’s the carbons fault.

I see….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ScotlandTheScared

Yup – sounds like poor set up to me – nothing wrong with carbon bars.

njee20
    Free Member

TBC +1

nimo
    Free Member

its a little known fact , but bikes do have cables…..

tomhoward

Not that should rub on the bars though…

Simon

Cables rubbing on handlebars is a new thing to me.

Northwind

I’ve got a wee rub mark on one of my bars from my gravity dropper cable- because I set it up wrongly in the first place, then I neglected it afterwards. So that probably means carbon’s unsuitable for bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some EA50’s you could have, but I’d not advise riding with them as the aluminiums suffered from cable rub so they’d probably snap.

DickBarton

Set your bike up properly so the cable doesn’t run. I’ve got an alloy frame with rub marks on the linkages, also alloy…they will snap, frame and linkages.

It isn’t carbon that is bad, just the op’s inability to set his bike up properly. How short are your cables to rub your handlebar?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Single speed + brakeless = Zero cable rub (I took the chain off to reduce any chain slap induced carbon chipping too).
    Simples innit.

nimo
    Free Member

as I said it is occasional cable rub at full fork compression and with a bit of bar turn. no cable rub in workshop situation. one wet gritty day at affan was all it took. I notice a very defencive tone to most of the replys. lucky for you you are all so fantastic, This will never happen to you. Sleep easy

cynic-al
    Free Member

NOt being funny but why are they getting binned for a bit of cable rub?…is it actually worn through the carbon? Or just the lacquer?

singletrackmind

So lets re – write this
    I set my bike up really badly and now its broken but its not my fault .
    I should have known that the chocolate chain rings I bought from the Cadburys mini Egg Bird were dodgy

Simon

Not defensive – it’s just something I’ve never experienced, and I was surprised cable rub had knackered your bars. Have a nice evening 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I had cable rub wear a flat spot on one of my alloy frames. I better bin it in case it breaks. You should all throw out your alloy frames too.

Carbon is awesome, cables can wear through anything given the right conditions.

nimo
    Free Member

it has worn a flat on the front of the bars, through the laquer , graphics and carbon layers under that I would guess it is probably about 1mm deep. Not knowing the wall thickness it is impossible to say how much is left. It is on the front edge of the downward curve. anyway, just sounding off having found 100 pound plus bars wrecked.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not send a pic to Easton and ask them?

It’s not in tension there, so may be OK

IanW
    Free Member

This thread needs pictures, having trouble imagining these abrasive cables.

nick3216
    Free Member

100 pound plus bars

f*** me that carbon fibre is heavy shit

at least with ally bars you’ll save nigh on 99.5 lbs

ScotlandTheScared

Could you check the wall thickness by taking out the bar plugs and looking? I dont know if wall thickness would be constant throughout, but might give you an idea of the minimum thickness and an idea of how far you went through.

TooTall
    Free Member

I made the stupid mistake of riding my bike over the winter , in the wet and a bit of occasional cable rub as rubbed through the carbon .

one wet gritty day at affan was all it took.

So……..which story is it?

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve had carbon windsurf masts for years. Sails rigged and downhauled under tension rub on the mast all the while, winter or summer with sand griding at it too and not just gently either. Only thing which ever broke one of those was a wave.
    Sounds like the bar was made of black painted cardboard in the first place.

andyl
    Free Member

it’s actually the epoxy that has very poor abrasion resistance.

There is a very well known material called polyurethane which is very good at resisting erosion and this is what so called ‘helitape’ is made from. I would suggest everyone, especially the OP, uses it in places where cables may rub – whatever your frame material as even steel is susceptible. The problem does not lie with the material but the poor set up and preparation.

Cable rub in an aluminium bar is actually likely to be more dangerous.

bol

It is amazing how quickly cable rub will go through carbon though. IIRC one year Specialized had to replace the stays of most carbon Epics because the Brain cable was routed wrongly and rubbed through. I saw one with a big hole in the chainstay after just a handful of rides.

I guess it is a lesson in set-up learned the hard way for the OP, but it doesn’t mean carbon isn’t a good material when treated right. There are still a lot of old monkeylite bars out there that have been going strong for years.

Northwind

“one day at Afan”- just so you know, I doubt anyone believes that for a second.

HTH.

astormatt
    Free Member

I do actually believe it could happen in a day Northwind, I will get a picture of my cable rubbed carbon cube after approx 5-6 hours riding.

druidh
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been rubbing my cable since I started reading this thread and it’s not worn through yet.

Northwind

astormatt- he says he used it like that for the winter, yet it wore through in a day. It definately could happen with bad enough setup but he’s contradicted himself.

astormatt
    Free Member

Hope the images work ok.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oh nasty. But if it was mine just put something over it and get on with riding.
    If this threads still going I shall dig out a pic of my old carbon giant hard tail which is almost worn through on the
    Chain stay yet won’t fail

druidh
    Free Member

Looks like that cable outer is too short. I’d just recable it and ride it.

iain1775
    Free Member

Poor set up and lack of maintenance failure FAIL

astormatt
    Free Member

I agree with what you are saying NW, to be honest I missed the bit about riding it over winter as half cut, but my point being I could believe it taking a day to rub through carbon as mine did. If you do know that you have rubbing why leave it? Asking for trouble.

astormatt
    Free Member

Umm Iain it is a brand new bike so not my problem, luckily I decided to change tyres and catch it when i did cubes fault for the rubbing as whoever built it at factory made front mech outer too short.
    Anyway it is currently in bike shop as warranty claim for new frame being sorted.

GregMay
    Free Member

TMP…has too be.

rootes1

This thread needs pictures, having trouble imagining these abrasive cables.

me too – just can’t see how cables would rub the bars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine was a shifter cable that exited at just the wrong angle and the cable rubbed on the ‘riser’ bend.

cardo

Have a look to what happened to my mates carbon bars, this was last week in the Peaks and no cable rub whatsoever!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Carbon, as suitable for mtb stuff as cream cheese…..’ is closed to new replies.