Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Carbon 456 – Any reason not to?
  • GRAEMEJONES

When can us short-arses get a 14 inch frame then please ?

chakaping
    Free Member

When can us short-arses get a 14 inch frame then please ?

Just order one from one of Flow’s catalogues for a fraction of the cost!

neallyman
    Free Member

Yunki, take a deep breath and untwist your knickers.

taking a c456 to fort bill doesn’t sound even the slightest bit unreasonable to me.. there’s plenty of evidence of people (real men)downhilling hardtails.. and I’m sure I’ve seen enough photographic and anecdotal evidence of people downhilling on steel 456s.. why would the c456 which has undergone the same rigorous CEN testing fair any worse..?

I never said or mentioned unreasonable anywhere. You thought I inferred it was unreasonable but that wasn’t my point. I’m aware that ‘real men’ have ridden hardtails down fort william. I’d still like to watch NW ride his C456 down though. Interested to see if he rides it down in ernest like a bike should be ridden or if he slow-rolls it down winding in and out of every available smooth bit and avoiding the rough. Reading some of his posts NW sounds like he rides hard and/or as you would say like a ‘real man’ (ref a recent post I read about him surprising downhillers on an uplift at Inners on his hardtail) so the result might tell me a lot about the C456, which i’d maybe consider buying depending on how that turns out.

honourablegeorge

But looks do matter George, otherwise Brad Pitt wouldn’t get near a script, would he?

Laugh all you want, Gary. I’ve carried the burden of Brad Pitt-like looks for years, and often struggled to be taken seriously as a result.

*cough*

From what I read getting a carbon frame to pass CEN is easy

yanboss

Why so anti China and the Far East?

I don’t think anyone complains that these boats are made in China…

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki, take a deep breath and untwist your knickers.

sorry.. day three nicotine withdrawal and the blind unwavering faith that only an on-one owner can understand have left me itching for an argument after this thread..

knickers duly untwisted.. I’d like to see that day too for the exactly the same reasons.. video evidence would be ace
    churz.. 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

This is an amusing thread indeed 🙂 They are butt ugly though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Elvis designed the c456?

What I want to know is, will there be an aluminium version? Carbon/Ti weight for steel money?

andyl46
    Free Member

16 stone, 6ft 5, 20″ C456 with 32 Talas forks (this one as it happens, though its had a few bits added since then)

http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/your-ride/q/514111508_andy-lyle46_carbon-tara

I use it for everything from 8 hour adventure races to as close as I get to downhill to arsing about on the jumps at my local trails. And it works on them all so far.

Drop the forks to 4″ and it climbs well and descends like a classic xc bike. Bang them out to 6″ and it spills your pint and offers you out to the car park. Ok, not really, but it does encourage you to ride lika a hooligan, looking for drops and potential air time.

To answer the OP’s question, if you like or dont care about the looks and dont have any of the fork compatability issues, then I can think of no reason why not.

hora
    Free Member

Its **** heavy for a carbon frame? Kinda defeats the point.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s a long-travel hardtail. What are you comparing it to?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Don’t get having a 6″ hardtail though

yunki
    Free Member

Its **** heavy for a carbon frame? Kinda defeats the point.

It’s over 1.5lbs lighter than it’s steel counterpart though isn’t it..?
    And £300 odd cheaper than the Ti version..?

How does it defeat the point of carbon ?

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Apparently the Santa Cruz V-10 Carbon frame has the carbon over half an inch thick in places. Kinda defeats the point in Carbon…….

chakaping
    Free Member

It might be heavy for a carbon XC bike (I don’t know if that’s true) but it’s amazingly light for a long-forked hardtail.

druidh
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Hmmm

Tongue-tied?

D0NK

OP i’m 6’2″ and was unsure whether to go for med or large went with a large with a 50mm stem, maybe not quite as chuckable as the medium would have been but it does me alright and I can put a slightly longer stem on for a more stretched position. If you just want a bike for ragging around go smaller, for a more allrounder go large.

GHill

For the original question, I’ve personally had terrible customer service when something went wrong with a purchase from on-one. I probably won’t buy anything from them again.

hora
    Free Member

TBH? Not interested in c456/don’t like the look of them etc. Its soon to be joined by the Titus El Gopping. So it makes alot of sense to group some serious ugly bikes together.

D0NK

So it makes alot of sense to group some serious ugly bikes together.

well I need something to offset my stunning good looks, yin and yang innit.

hora
    Free Member

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member

Just wondering, are these ‘far East’ frames the same as ‘far East’ car tyres

Errr, no.

The vast majority of carbon frames are made in the Far East.

I found the other day that for Biancchi etc to put ‘Made in Italy’ on their frames they have to add at least 50% to the value of the frame on Italian soil. So they buy their frames ‘raw’ from China and have them sprayed in Italy. They argue that spraying the name of the brand on the frame increases it’s value by more than 50% so they can then put the sticker on it.

On-One/P-X have never made any pretence of doing anything other than designing stuff in the UK and having it manufactured in the Far East. They do this well and order sufficient volume to keep prices down and allow them to afford to be able to have specific jigs and moulds made where necessary.

To suggest they are rebadging ‘off the shelf’ frames is, I think, really poor – they may not always make frames that everyone likes but they are doign it honestly

My comment was aimed at the cheap ones popping up on ebay, NOT ones that are developed somewhere & then produced in the Far East to take advantage of the cheap labour.
    My comment was meant to be flippant, but I do liken it to the cheap car tyres from the far east that use familiar tread patterns from ‘properly developed’ tyres, but have poor construction and rubber compounds meaning that although they look like good tyres, they are in fact rubbish.

andyl
    Free Member

Some serious trolling going on here.

Flow, I have a hunch you don’t really have much knowledge of composites?

avdave2

Flow, I have a hunch you don’t really have much knowledge of composites?

I don’t think he’s ever heard the phrase “when in a hole stop digging.”

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Flow earlier today

PSA; if you google image search “deep hole” put safe search on 😯

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I have a Matt black one. Finish = bloody awful, frame = strong, light, comfy and mega fun.
    Running a lyric @140mm, hope V2s, wide bars etc. I love it so much the only thing thats making me sell it next month is some bugger gave me a shot of a Lynskey 29er last weekend.

andyl
    Free Member

brake-neck – guy in my LBS sent me out on a Giant Anthem X 29er and I had a similar feeling – but at £3k for the Giant my C456 is safe…. unfortunately.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Well I’m hoping to just change the majority of the parts from the 456 over the the new frame, not going for Lynskey though, too damn expensive for my tastes especially since the 456 is only 10 months old. I will miss my 456 though, sold a slappy 314 to get it and the carbon blows it away for what I do.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the finish brake-neck? Is it the clear lacquer on the bare carbon? My road bike has a bare carbon finish and damn it looks sexy. Much nicer than carbon weave imo. Do you just not like the look or is it scruffy?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

The clear lacquer is peeling away on the seat tube and in general just scratches/marks very easily, I love the look of the carbon and if I were keeping it it wouldn’t take much to give it a quick respray. I forgive it the poor finish when I’m riding it though, surprises the hell out of me what it can do/keep up with.

Northwind

neallyman – Member

I never said or mentioned unreasonable anywhere. You thought I inferred it was unreasonable but that wasn’t my point. I’m aware that ‘real men’ have ridden hardtails down fort william. I’d still like to watch NW ride his C456 down though. Interested to see if he rides it down in ernest like a bike should be ridden or if he slow-rolls it down winding in and out of every available smooth bit and avoiding the rough.

<thread necromancy> Sorry, was away for a few days and just saw this

I’ll not be able to get up again before the lifts close 🙁 Hadn’t noticed the BDS on the last weekend so that’s my plans screwed.

You’d not learn an awful lot about the bike from me tbh, you’d need a much better test pilot (trying to keep up with Jesse Wigman showed me how it should be done on a hardtail, pretty awesome, I don’t have that in me). So it’ll be somewhere over 8 minutes I expect, I’m going to be slow up in the rocks without the skills compensation. Exactly how much over, I just don’t know. But I’ll be there to ride the trail not ride round it 😉

But to put it another way, I’m as confident in its ability to put up with me as I am with my BFe. That doesn’t mean I’ll be keen to crash it into a massive rock to test it!

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – Any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.