Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Carbon 456
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

They been around a while now, how are you enjoying yours? Likes/Dislikes? Some pics would be nice too!

argoose
    Free Member

shop built x9, apart from brake levers on wrong sides and hoses being tooo long, best bike I’ve owned by far!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just got mine before xmas, just started building it 🙂 The £299 Raw finish frame is quite raw (as you can probably see in the pic), so possibly not for someone who is precious about looks.

rhysw
    Free Member

I’m just waiting on a shim for the seat post and I’ll be taking mine up to north Wales next week for its maidan voyage.
    I also took advantage of the raw £299 price tag and I love the finish. I heard the gloss one chips really easy and can look a bit shabby quickly.
    I’ve gone for full 1×10 2012 XT group set
    2012 150mm kashima fox float rlc’s
    Stan flow rims in pro 2 hubs
    Gamut chain device
    Thomson 70 mm stem
    Race face bars
    I got this, with a lot of searching for £1600.
    If you shop around you can build a nice light strong aggressive hard tail for good money

I’ll let you know how it rides

Northwind

I like mine… Not perfect, but pretty damn good. Up there with the Soul and the Ragley Ti in my eyes. It’s covered in wee scrapes and scratches mind, the finish isn’t great- that’s what makes it an On One, right? But it’s a proper bike despite being plastic.

Mine is hideous though, otoh, looks like it started out as an ugly bike even before it melted. Still not the ugliest bike in the garage though.

forge197
    Free Member

Like mine, fast, comfortable, fun, cheap handles nice, feels stable on decents and rough stuff, for the price I built it I can’t find fault infact I wonder if it’s more fun than my FS time will tell.

No regrets

philstone

Done 4 runs on mine now, again raw matte finish.

Running Pace RC41 fighters on it with slx/saint combo – absolutely love it!

Cheezpleez

Had mine six months. Love it. It replaced a steel 456 which I also loved but the C456 is lighter and less harsh. Mine’s gloss black, no decals, and I think it actually looks great. No probs with the finish on mine. Can’t see how you could do better for the price but I know some people hate the look of them

Mugboo

God I wish I could like them. At £299 they are a bargain!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s the future bro! function over form (or something like that). 8)

P20

I also replaced a steel 456 with a carbon one. Its comfortable, nice weight and its fun. Cable routing would have been better if it was full length outer, but thats about it and thats nit picking. Its brilliant for the money. Heres mine, though its now running 1×9

On-one Carbon 456 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Northwind

What I quite like, is that people have this idea of what a steel hardtail rides like- and it’s more or less like a Soul, or similiar, right? But not really that much like a 456, which is a bit stiff and dead.

Then along comes the C456, and people think carbon = stiff, and carbon has no soul, but as it turns out it rides more like a “proper” steel bike than the steel one does.

bellys
    Free Member

I got mine just before Christmas it the x9 in black and silver full build was 1300 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PBOOC456X9/on_one_carbon_456_x9_complete_bike only been on 2 rides at first I was not sure about it. But after a ride at Gisburn on Monday I love it rides nice,light and found it quick on the trail seems to soak up the bumps nice.

mherbie
    Free Member

Happy with mine, full XT with 100mm Reba’s:

hora
    Free Member

TBH if people keep making comparisons ‘to a Soul’ I think I’d rather have a Soul.

At least ‘IF’ you decide to sell you’d easily sell it…with a C456 I think alot of people would waver with it being carbon and cheapily constructed. Its one of those ‘known to rider/user but to someone else used…’ that £300 new price tag becomes a false economy IMO.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers guys, lots of positive vibes, any more pics especially of the raw finish? And any insights into your fork choice?

variflex
    Free Member

Ordered today a satin black no decal C456.
    Managed to get a cheap 2011 RockShox RLT 140mm off ebay for under 300 brand new to go with it.

Re-using a 2008 Shimano and SRAM X9 mix of components and old Jiucy brakes.

Will post a piccy next week once built up.

wwaswas

[hijack] if anyones buying a c456 I have the Hope headset to suit std steerer forks – used for about 4 rides and in great condition. £40 posted. email in profile.

IHN

At least ‘IF’ you decide to sell you’d easily sell it…with a C456 I think alot of people would waver with it being carbon and cheapily constructed. Its one of those ‘known to rider/user but to someone else used…’ that £300 new price tag becomes a false economy IMO.

And if frame-a-day Hora wouldn’t buy a second hand one, that’s really saying something.

I’m skirting round buying one, but not for a bit. I love my steel 456.

organdonor
    Free Member

mherbie – sorry but that should be on the really bad colour schemes thread. Fugly

mherbie
    Free Member

orangutan – that’s ok I remember why I keep away from internet forums now, nothing positive is ever said.

organdonor
    Free Member

Yeah sorry, should’ve kept it to myself. Beauty’s subjective. I bet it rides great though

Edit: awww put it back up, I feel terrible now. My opinion means nothing (or so the mrs keeps telling me). 😳

v666ern
    Free Member

quite like that black and green just like organ donor really! 🙄

if only i had spare cash….

philstone

mherbie – was it black and green? Friend of mine has just bought the frame in that combo – apparently its similar to the Monster green – any chance of a lookie?

YoKaiser – heres a pic I took of mine when I first got it – gives you an idea of the weave etc… Its also a raw matte…
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/692445/Bikes/On-One/P1030508o.JPG

ivantate
    Free Member

If I had to replace my mk1 blue pig one of these would be near the top of the list. My only worry would be what some chainsuck would do to those stays.

Has anyone actually broke one yet” or is it only scaremongering this talk about sh ones.

qu1nt
    Free Member

I have one of the X9 special deal bikes & it’s a lovely bike
    Great fun, climbs very well & very forgiving of my lack of talent!

I sold my Orange 5 pro, replaced it with this & I’m glad I did 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’d kind of describe it as how a lawn looks when it’s mowed in different directions, it’s the reflection of light I assume depending on which way the carbons been laid. Or, looks like it’s been given a very basic polish, like the first process of polishing metal ready to be chromed. Something like that.

matt303uk

Really liking mine although I’ve only put a couple of rides on it 🙂

First ride on 456. by matt303uk, on Flickr

No sign of snapping. by matt303uk, on Flickr

I’ll more than likely replace the ageing 3×8 setup on it with a 1×10 for the summer, the build came out as light as my Scandal but more fun.

Still not sure why mine came with dropouts with the disc brake above the seat stay?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The flash makes it look even worse, in the flesh it looks nowhere near as bad. It’s just the light reflecting depending on the direction of the weave (or rough polishing machine) I presume.

chakaping
    Free Member

Love mine, only gripe is the cable routing is a bit weird. Can’t complain for the price though.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Heres mine, replaced the original steel 456. Bargain at £299 for the frame regards of it being ugly.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The raw looks great. One more question, the sizing is….novel(?) how did you decide on what frame to go for? I’m 5’10 and like a chuckable bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get the 16in i reckon

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Here’s mine, built with the parts i had

i’m loving it

yunki
    Free Member

this might be my next purchase when/if my steel 456 lets me down

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The geometry is the same as the steel 456 I believe. My 456 summer season was 16″ and it felt just the right size, hense 16″ carbon 456. 5’10” 32 inside leg

mingerocket
    Free Member

Pleased with mine,did the black routes at llandegla last weekend(first real ride since I built the bike) soaks up the big hits and climbs well.
    Running float 120s and xt kit.

Northwind

YoKaiser, I’m 5’10 and tbh dimensions wise I’d be a little happier with a small, other than that I’d need about 420mm of seapost.

forge197
    Free Member

YoKaiser – my fork choice was based on what was in the classifieds at the right price so 150mm Sektors and very nice they are too, thanks Renton 🙂

skywalker
    Free Member

They are bloody ugly but excellent VFM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456’ is closed to new replies.