Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car Written off…..accept offer or reject
  • bruneep

Ok, so I wrote my car off last week, insurance say its a total loss and have offered me £2.5k accept or reject?
    To buy another car of same standard would cost me about £4K.
    What will happen if I reject will they come back with an improved offer or do I have to prove the valve of the car.

Ta

B

hora
    Free Member

Go on Autotrader etc- search for similar spec cars within your area (40miles)- print off the flattering ones and send them to your insurer. Never accept their first offer.

Marmoset
    Free Member

As Hora says – That's their first 'lets see what we can get away with offer' Hang out for closer to £4k, especially as prices are on the up in the 2nd hand market.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Or sod the leg work, & just ask them to replace it like for like as you can't find one for that amount & its what your entitled to.
    It normally works.

bruneep

anyone had luck with the sod it option?

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, but I did have good success with a car that I was offered 250 for, was probably worth 400 but I found several good examples of for ~900 in teh area and they gave me 600 after the second refusal. I now only go with policies that have guaranteed valuation clauses though.

hora
    Free Member

Agree with Marmoset. Not everyone has a car tucked away for a scrappage scheme to buy expensive new cars. So used car market is picking up- thus affecting you when you'll look for one 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

we had an old clio that got broken into, chap turned up, offered us 250 quid, we laughed and said no, he said ok, 500. bizarre. Don't forget, not only do they try and offer you less money than what the car is worth, they will also bump your premiums up next year.

Legalised robbery.

_foxie_
    Free Member

i wrote my car off last year, and negotiated more for it than i was prepared to accept for a cash sale… dug up some autotrader and pistonheads ads, and stood firm.

Del

you bought indemnity when you took out their insurance. this means the insured should be in no worse position after a claim, than they were in before the claim. make use of the term in your dealings with them. **** leeches.

hora
    Free Member

samuri, in your case I would have just scrapped the car 🙁

I had an accident a few years ago that was 100% not my fault and they've still bumped up my premiums every year since.

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, we did. It got scrapped and we got 500 quid. They bumped up my wife's insurance which I think is pretty poor. As you say, it's not our fault the car got broken into, why should we have to pay extra?

hora
    Free Member

No no- I mean declined the offer of payout, scrapped the car and took the hit. Ive done various online quotes with and without my no-fault claim and its circa £100-£300 more ontop annually for me since 2005. ****. I was sat minding my own business and was rear-ended.

bruneep

Offer rejected waiting for them to get back to me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car Written off…..accept offer or reject’ is closed to new replies.