Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car tyre repair? I assume this is for the bin?
  • sam_underhill

Hit pot hole covered in leaves last weekend. Tyre deflated within a few metres. I’ve only just got round to inspecting the damaged tyre.
    Apart from this, the tyre has about 5mm tread depth and in otherwise good condition. Any chance this is salvageable or only fit for the bin?

hmmm…. google images link not working very well.

Clicky here

snaps
    Free Member

I’d say that was repairable with a tyre plug– but the tread is looking low to use heading into a British winter!

bear-uk
    Free Member

Yes I recon thats goosed. In the old days you could have put a tube in it but I think thats not done now.
    Might be worth taking to a Proper tyre Co and let them make a decision.

There you go. 2 different opinions already 🙂

sam_underhill

Definitely around 5mm tread depth remaining using my gauge. It seems a shame to throw it away unnecessarily. As it’s a front, it’ll probably be sensible to replace both as well.
    Probably not worth risking it for the sake of a couple of hundred quid for some new tyres?

benji
    Free Member

Throw it away it’s a deflation by structure failure not a foreign body, e.g. screw or nail. Check the rim isn’t buckled as well.

diz

As benji says it’s just not worth it for the cost of a pair of new tyres.

Basil

Junk.
    Now check the wheel

sam_underhill

Cheers folks.
    Consensus concurs it’s ruined.
    I’ll deffo check the wheel. Despite being an “alloy wheel”, no surprises it weighs a ton. No obvious cracks. May be made of pig iron.

timba
    Free Member

retro83
    Free Member

Can’t zoom the pic, is it just the small cut in the middle or is there more damage ?

sam_underhill

Yep, just the split in the middle. It’s about 10 – 15mm long.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope – anything over 5-8mm foreign object won’t take a plug – sorry.
    Structural damage as above is a no-no.

sam_underhill

I’m convinced. New tyre it is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre repair? I assume this is for the bin?’ is closed to new replies.