Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What sealant for oak-framed bi-fold doors?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

About to purchase two lots of these doors

They come completely unfinished so need weatherproofing on the outside / inner edges as well as sealing on the inside.

I will treat them before they are fitted and I am wanting them to remain as natural-looking as possible (ie, no dark coloured wood stains and in a matt finish if possible).

I already have Osmo Poly-X (from previous projects) that I think I will be using internally, but what is the best way of treating the external exposed wood? I would prefer something like the Osmo that doesn’t chip and peel if possible and would prefer that whatever I put on remains as long-lasting as possible.

Cheers.

gatsby
    Free Member

I fitted an oak door about 7 years ago and treated it with Dulux Trade Naked Wood. It’s a really good poly varnish and it’s done exactly what it says on the tin. The oak is still as bright and oak-coloured as the day it was installed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have a look at the Osmo website. They also do a UV protection oil for exterior oak.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmm, I think I have some of that stuff – not sure if it is an interior variant though (used it on interior wood floor that is in a sunroom so wanted protection from sunlight).

That would be useful….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What might be an idea is to maybe do a base coat with the Polyx (to give a bit of a wear layer), then a couple of top coats with the UV Protection. They have a base in the UK and AFAIK, are happy to offer tech support.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmmm….. I once tried that on some oak flooring (hence having the UV stuff) on the advice of the flooring company via Osmo.

I don’t recall which was round I did it but basically it never dried and the floor was ripped up and relaid at their expense.

So I won’t be trying that one again….

johndoh
    Free Member

Bugger – the UV stuff I have is interior only.

Pah.

Any other opinions/recommendations?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

We used Sikkens microporus primer and topcoat (parts of the CETOL range) on our exterior doors.
    Very easy to apply and lasts for years. It soaks into the wood and forms a protective layer within the wood, or that was how it was explained to us by a joiner.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve used Sikkens before (a single part varnish) but it did have a lovely finish – I might look into their stuff too cheers.

project
    Free Member

Ring or email the supplier of the doors and ask them , preferably an email so its in writing as to what stain protective coating to use, the doors shown above are only oak veneer and the veneer will lift if you use the wrong coating product and forget the guarantee its worth nothing usually if you use the wrong stuff and dont follow instructions to the letter of the leaflet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Good point Project – thank you.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

I have asked the manufacturers and they say ‘medium or high build microporous wood coating system’.

So – what TF is a medium or high build microporous wood coating system? Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What sealant for oak-framed bi-fold doors?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM