Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Car tax question
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether you can still tax a car using a V11 reminder if you've SORNed it since the reminder?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Nobody?

I have recently moved and so the V5 certificate is at the DVLA for change of address, I'm wary about doing it online since I don't trust that they'll have updated their details before sending new tax discs out, so want to go into a post office and do it. I have the V11 but not sure if I can still use this if the car has been SORNed since that was issued.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Ask the post office or ring DVLA.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The DVLA are on strike and the post office are closed

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

If it's sorn, you need to go to the post office with the v5 unfortunately. Can't do it online

ebygomm
    Free Member

But I don't have the V5 🙁 well, only half of it anyhow

Does this mean I can't tax my car until I get the new V5 through

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yes, I believe that is the case

ebygomm
    Free Member

But that can take up to 4 weeks and the DVLA say not to contact them until 6 weeks – arrgghh

I see now that it says "Note: If your vehicle needs taxing within the next four weeks please take the registration certificate to the Post Office® to tax and fill in section six." But I wasn't in a position to tax the vehicle when I changed the address as it was offroad after being stolen.

Moral of the story: don't get your car stolen, let your car tax run out and move house in the same month!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Car tax question’ is closed to new replies.