Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car question – winter tyres
  • leffeboy

Just about to put the winter tyres on and wondering whether it is a good idea to put the tyres back on the same wheels they came off last time (FR, FL etc). I’m not sure there is a point but I do see that some garages mark the tyres before they take them off. The tyres aren’t directional in any way that I can see

nealglover
    Free Member

If they are not directional it won’t make too much difference.

Unless they have any uneven wear patterns that is. If the inside/outside edges are different or the fronts are more worn than the rears etc.

Other than that it won’t matter.

(unless the rears are wider than the fronts ??)

leffeboy

That’s kind of what I thought and I can’t see any funny wear. Garages might just do it out of habit to save them the faff of checking tyres for anything special

nealglover
    Free Member

Think mainly they do it in case the front and rear Tyres are either different size, or different type.

Mine has Larger rear wheels so has different Tyres at the back. One smaller garage didn’t spot this till they had fitted and balanced the rear Tyres onto the front wheels, and had to start again.

Marge
    Free Member

In the industry it’s considered best practice to diagonally swap (LF to RR etc) to ensure even wear across all 4 tires…

leffeboy

I was wondering about that as well. I remember years ago it was advised to rotate your tyres but I hadn’t heard of that being done for quite some time now. Always good info. on teh stw

jimw
    Free Member

edit: didn’t read post correctly! ignore 😳

leffeboy

No arrows, I checked, but thanks for the warning anyway

nealglover
    Free Member

In the industry it’s considered best practice to diagonally swap (LF to RR etc) to ensure even wear across all 4 tires…

Mine would very odd if I did that :mrgreen: (and it would fail the MOT too)

Loads of cars these days have staggered wheels front and rear that couldn’t be swapped diagonally. But I see the logic in general.

leffeboy

edit: didn’t read post correctly! ignore

Actually I’m quite glad you reminded me. The tyres I was putting on did have arrows on the, but I might have been temped to think it was just some sort of marketing flash as it wasn’t very clear 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car question – winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.