Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • car question – glove box latch broken
  • Keva
    Free Member

I’m selling my VW Golf and after placing the advert I remembered that the service history and one of the MOTs from a couple of years back is locked in the glove box. I closed it once and the latch fell apart leaving it impossible to get into without what appears to be prising it open breaking the rest of the latch off, possibly causing further damage. So… what to do ? There is FSH from a VW dealer in there up to 80,000 miles and the rest of the book is full up with stamps from the garage I used. If I break the latch to get it, how do I go about getting a replacement and what is it likely to cost ?

oh and btw.. the car is 1996, 1.8GL dragon green, 118000miles, 2 owners, new cambelt, e/w, e/sr, e/m, PAS, mot Apr2011, tax June 2011, VGC (except glovebox latch) FSH somewhere in there >>> reliable car.

Kev

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Take the engine and gearbox out and go in from that side.

firestarter
    Free Member

Scrappy ?

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s no way in other than to break it from the top of the latch.

Had this on a Mk3 Golf I bought. If you go gently…you won’t damage the dash bit too much.

beamers

Common fault on the Mk4 as well. Mine broke, but wouldn’t stay shut. Due to the way the glove box door was constructed it required a whole new door.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Oh and scrappy/ebay for a replacement one. Should be £5 or less.

thomthumb
    Free Member

blu-tack it shut.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will it really make much of a difference to a <£1K car?

antigee

post in the classifieds
    OT WTD glove box catch needed…
    OT FS car for sale…
    that way you could double the number of times you can bump it up the front page – just a thought

molgrips
    Free Member

Scrappy for a new door.

Keva
    Free Member

ok.. ta. Will try and prise it open gently, try e-bay for a replacement and in the meantime blu-tac it closed.

cynic-al… no one really wants to drive a car with the glove box flapping open or a gaping hole in the dash do they ? Plus it lowers what is otherwise a very nice car.

Kev

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘car question – glove box latch broken’ is closed to new replies.