Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car paintwork cracking
  • TenMen
    Free Member

My Ford is only 5 years old, but just under the petrol cap, the paintwork has started to blister in a small spot and is about to crack. It’s only a tiny spot, but obviously I want to stop it getting any worse. The paint around the spot has lost its sheen, and I’m worried it will spread. I know nothing about car products for things like this; any ideas what to do? The blistered spot is raised and will need smoothing out, but I’m presuming sandpaper is out…

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t touch it yourself.

1. take to dealer and ask about paintwork warranty. Unless it has been inspected by them every year they tell you ‘tough’.

2. Failing that ask around for a decent local bodyshop or try a mobile dent/paint repairer. The body shop will normally re-spray the whole area, the mobile guy will try and do a much cheaper fix.

TenMen
    Free Member

Thanks – option 2 it is!

lump

If its just the lacquer that has blistered then it can be sorted out with out the the need for body shop. Any good detailer will be able to machine back the paint to correct it. If you want to send me a few pics (in my profile) ill have a look for you.

TenMen
    Free Member

lump – you are a star, will do it tomorrow when I’ve sobered up a bit!

TenMen
    Free Member

lump – managed to get a friend of a friend to sort it out, thanks anyway

lump

No problem

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like rust under the paint if its gone a bit dull.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Is it a Ford Ka? Seems to be a common place for rust for some reason.

TenMen
    Free Member

It is indeed a Ka – I was too embarrassed to mention it at first…

unsponsored
    Free Member

GF’s Mum has a Ka, everyone I have seen tends to rust on the lower edge of the cap, even without damage from a fuel pump.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car paintwork cracking’ is closed to new replies.