Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car Insurance renewal question?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok, i have just had my renewal through, on my current policy i have 7 years NCD, however i had an incident earlier in the year with a pedestrian stepping into side of my vehicle causing damage to car so i put in a claim which my insurer has put down as a Fault claim as they cannot recover costs from the pedestrian.

Anyhow, on my renewal it says i have only 3 years NCD now??!!. So i phoned and questioned this to which i was told they only do NCD upto 5 years and as mine was unprotected i lose 2 years off of 5 giving me 3 years NCD???.

Now i asked why on my current policy it states 7 years NCD she got a bit irritated and said she is trying to explain that they only discount upto 5 years etc etc.

So my question to those a bit more knowledgeable……

How many years should you lose for a fault claim, and why if they only discount upto 5 years do they note on my policy details i have 7 years?.

I feel shafted really, especially as the incident was not my fault as also confirmed by an independant accident investigator. 🙁

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If the contract says 7 then you have 7. Or had 7.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Obviously i am concerned about this as when i get quotes from other insurers they will want to know what claim free years i have should be around 5 years in my view, thats why i feel shafted that they are stating i have only 3 years NCD, if i’ve lost 2 years according to them it should make it 5 years.

br
    Free Member

While the other insures will pay (some) attention to your renewal NCD, its the claim that they are more interested in – and will +ve/-ve your premium appropriately.

The fact (as you say) it wasn’t your fault may help reduce the increase.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Just been onto the insurers again. They are adamant that because i did not protect my NCD they are entitle to reduce my NCD to 3 years as anything after 5 years does not count??????????? Unless protected apparently. So i’ve gone from 7 claim free years to apparently 3 years only now and will be quoted this by other insurers , how the hell does that work?.

I stated to them that it is irrelevant that they only provide discount up to 5 years and have lost 2 years as i had 7 ffs, talking to a repeating record. Last time i use the red phone.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I would argue that if their paperwork states 7 years then that’s tough titty for them. Their mistake and they will just have to sup it up. This would mean you now have 5.

Drac

How i see it.

7 years NCD is how long you went without claim, you now claimed and there’s maximum protected is 5 years. So they should offer you 5 years NCD but as you haven’t protected this you’ve lost some NCD in this case 2 years, so you now have 3 year protection.

spence
    Free Member

H, I had something similar earlier in the year (without the claim) the renewal came through stating 5 years, when queried they said that’s the maximum they use. I had gone to them 2 years previous with 9. Searched around for a lower quote anyway and found one with the AA stating 9+ years NCD. I got the broker to provide me proof in the form of a letter for the 9+ years (I had the original offer and copy of renewal from 2 years previous) and the AA accepted that.
    Don’t know if you’ll be able to do something similar if you went direct, perhaps a benefit of using a broker.

Anyway do you have a bike at the mo???????

S.

Drac

Oh and your protected no claims is with that company going to another they will ask if you’ve made any claims in the last so many years and details. They will then decide how many NCD years they’re willing to give you.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Spence….yes i have a bike, do you not read SG lol.

Drac….thats basically what they are saying. I feel its really taking the mick out of me to be honest. The incident wasn’t even down to me but the way insurance works it is. Shafted from all angles. My insurance is going from around £310 a year to quotes over and around £500 on a bloody diesel 307 for gods sake i’m 40yrs old not 17 🙁

Oh and now that i am looking for other quotes should i be saying i have 3 years NCD or 5 years NCD. Do they only take the previous insurers view on this as 3 years?

Drac

Yup they do like to find ways out of things, shop around though as it’s rarely worth staying with the same company.

nick1962
    Free Member

It’s standard insurance industry practice to f88k you over whenever they can but what they’re telling you sounds exactly what they told me. I had paid to protect my NCD and then when I claimed this year paid an extra £50 as well as an excess of £350 towards the repair.I shopped around and the difference in quotes between 5 and 3 years NCD was less than what protecting my NCD had cost the previous year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance renewal question?’ is closed to new replies.