• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Car Insurance
  • taka
    Free Member

brad if you’ve done your cbt and been insured for abit motorbikes are cheap, ive been looking at motorbikes when i passed my test to move onto bigger bikes there about £350fully comp for a 1000cc Honda fireblade or £250 for a Honda crf450 supermoto and get them limited to 33bhp looked like i might be on 2 wheels for abit longer..

timber

If you are in a Bradford postcode as suggested above, not being in it will significantly reduce your premium. Mate just moved from there to Leamington and halved his premiums on a Cooper and modified Evo. Maybe not the easiest solution for you.

Statistically, your age group and that car are synonymous with accidents = risk.
    Pick some old duffers car, the odds reduce and it gets cheaper. My first car was a lot less to insure than a mates 1.0 fiesta, mine was a 1.6 nissan bluebird, comfiest seats ever, like a 3-piece suite in a car.

taka
    Free Member

ive also got a hx7 postcode but there’s not much difference in the prices

Hairychested
    Free Member

My brother drove a Skoda Felicia 1.3 and paid 300 fully comp. Got a Punto 1.3 3-door 1998 and got quoted 600 fully comp. Why? Cos small cars are used by inexperienced drivers a lot more than large ones.
    Same with a mate whose old Polo 1.9 diesel worth maybe a grand was quoted at 1.5k 3rd party. When he changed to a Nissan Almera 5-door 1.6 (waaaay more powerful a car) the premium was down to 999 TPFT.
    BTW Check TPFT policies as they often are cheaper than 3rd party only.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

WOW!!

im 23 i drive a citroen c2 GT 1.6
    got my dad on there 10+ NCB an my girlfriend (21 3 years NCB) both named drivers

im the main driver 2 years NCB, insured in south london (croydon)

£443 fully comp with break down cover.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

WOW!!

im 23 i drive a citroen c2 GT 1.6
    got my dad on there 10+ NCB an my girlfriend (21 3 years NCB) both named drivers

im the main driver 2 years NCB, insured in south london (croydon)

£443 fully comp with break down cover.

spooky_b329

As others have said, try other cars such as the undesirable Micra, also go big and try some quotes for a big old estate car like a Mondeo. You could also try a small van, traditionally commercial insurance is more expensive but as a young driver, the quote could go the right way. One I would not advice is the classic car route, yes you may save some cash but you will regret it (or possibly not) when you have the accident you are statistically 50% likely to have in the first year!

Last tip I heard was to try different job titles, this can make a big difference. I’m not saying lie, but if you could reasonably give your job a different title give it a go. Try putting your age as 18 and see if it is worth holding off a year.

Oh, and the obvious one, put your voluntary excess as high as you can as this makes a claim from yourself less likely.

brad0612
    Free Member

Taka – So they’re legal as long as they’re limited to 33bhp? Will have a look at that cheers! 😮

Basil

You are approaching your insurance quote from the wrong direction.
    You may have been given the Pug but it is still an insurance group 7 car.
    Find the lowest insurance group car that you can.Many places on the net have tables of the group applied to each model of car-the group is not just dependant on engine size. AA has this information
    Volunteer for driving restrictions eg night driving, limited mileage.
    Advanced driving test can give you 10% off with some insurers.
    BBC Radio 4 had a lot of good information for gaining a good quote as a young driver on the website.
    Try very hard not to “fib” on you insurance quote. If you need to claim many reasons can be used to invalidate your cover.
    Dependant on where you live a quote of around £1000 to £2000 should be possible.

IanW
    Free Member

Changing anything other than your postcode will make little difference.

JuJuuk68’s summary is correct and combined with the insurers inability to cover premium to cost deficits in the markets results in the premiums taka is quoted.
    The only way to get it substantially cheaper would be if you find some one incorrectly rating the risk.

Its not really the insurers fault they merely do the sums, politicians make the choices that shape society.

Get a bike for a year or two, it’ll keep you fit!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance’ is closed to new replies.