Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car engine leaking – ideas?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Ok, not really a car, a Pug 406 1.9dt 1999. Apparently it's leaking like there is no tomorrow. So far:
    1. oil change guy – your turbo is running dry and will blow up in a few miles (6.8k miles ago),
    2. I don't know what it could be, I need a wash (a guy at the car test centre).
    3. **** it, nobody checks it in Ireland (NCT cert.)
    Any ideas? I'll be seeing a mate who runs a not-officially-in-existence garage on Monday, should know then but the curiosity level is getting rather high.

steveh

Leaking oil i presume? How much? Can you not put some card underneath overnight, then the next day use the mark on the card to give you the exit point and try and trace it back to the source?

mafiafish
    Free Member

You need to establish what fluid it is and where from.

mmb
    Free Member

wipe away any visible oil with a rag, top up sump with fresh oil,run engine and look for signs of new leakage, don't worry about leakage if you keep it topped up it will be fine and the oil will always be fresh which is most certainly good, just use cheaper oil to cut costs till you get it fixed. check sump for loose bolts or a crack,check oil filter is tight.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So long as you're not blowing shedloads out of the turbo seals you won't have too many problems.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It's engine oil. The tray underneath the engine is full of it so no drops on the floor in the garage 🙂
    The engine doesn't smoke unless I gun it to 4000+ rpm in 2nd off a junction. Even then it's only a bit, a small bit, of white smoke. I had the oil changed last Summer, the lad said my turbo was running dry but almost 7000 miles and no change.
    The emissions were fine, the rattle of a diesel engine present (it means it actually works), still does 40mpg or better if I drive sensibly.
    Could it be a cracked engine? Google likes the idea of such.
    BTW I need it to stop leaking in order to get the car through the Irish car test – NCT.

triop
    Free Member

wouldn't of thought its turbo then, there would be clouds of blue smoke and the inlet tracts, after the turbo-intercooler etc. would be wet with oil. You need to get a torch and get your head in there. Oil don't flow upwards so look for the highest wet spot, if its that bad it shouldn't be too difficult to see.
    Good call on the oil filter loose, i'd check that
    Good luck – got one myself an excellent family taxi when all the bits that are going to fall off have. 😀

singletrackmind

Cracked sump
    Sump gasket
    Drain plug washer failure

hora
    Free Member

Stop driving the car until you know what the problem is!

Hairychested
    Free Member

hora – Member

Stop driving the car until you know what the problem is!

Will you push me to the mechanic then? It's only 35 miles across the hills 😉

hora
    Free Member

how much does the car 'owe' you?

I remember seeing this in Halfords:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=184523&langId=-1&cm_mmc=Sitename-_-Engine+Oils+%26+Additives%2FMaintenance+Fluids+%26+Additives-_-Na-_-Wynns+Engine+Stop+Leak+325ml&source=shopping&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=lixpmp&istBid=t#dtab

Prevents and stops engine oil leaks without demounting
    Restores the elasticity of rubber and neoprene oil seal rings and O-rings<
    Lubricates and maintains engine seals in good condition
    Will have no effect on the viscosity or performance of engine oil
    Is compatible with all mineral and synthetic, single- and multigrade oils
    Does not harm catalytic converters

bruneep

will do the same thing, so I've been told.

hora
    Free Member

Officer: So how did the engine explode Sir?
    Driver: I decided to add some baking products to my car

😆

Hairychested
    Free Member

The car owes me a lot – I washed it the other day and since then it hasn't taken me across Europe nor to the Ocean nor to any other new and exciting place. Moneywise? I bought it for a grang, changed oil and filters, fitted wipers too. Oh, and bought a new radio for 18 quid off eBay for it. In return it has been a reliable, cheap to run, big and ugly member of my family. It's not going to be written off anytime soon.

hora
    Free Member

Then stop driving it around. Get it properly inspected then decide what product to use? If its something that is economic to repair you could be causing a transition into economically unviable.

Engines are like human bodies- if you feel ill, you listen to your body. You dont carry on exercising/straining it do you?! 🙄

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Old oil filter removed, did the seal come with it? New filter screwed on, seal on seal won't seal, if that makes sense, engine pisses new oil away very quickly. Check the area under the oil filter mount (front of engine between block & radiator isn't it?)

Those pug diesels have a rubber seal around the rocker cover, they perish and piss oil out regularly. I'd suggest a good root around the rocker cover and see if there is any sign of leaking, if there is it will usually be the side of the engine closest to the bulkhead (furthest away from the radiator).

I had a Pug 305, 309, and a Rover 218 that all used the same/similar type engine, all needed the rocker cover gasket replacing at least once in my ownership. Dirt cheap to do, easy to do – half a dozen bolts (ish) and you're away – some piping to remove if turbo & intercooler fitted IIRC. Don't bother with the stop leak stuff for this, it just won't touch a leaky rocker cover gasket.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Oil filter seal leaking, seen these work loose. Sump cracked or corroded through if its steel/gasket leaking. If its coming from the clutch cover end could be crankshaft oil seal. If its a lot of oil its likely to be a gasket/seal, none of the other faults tend to drop a lot of oil quickly. Does it have a oil cooler? Pipes to and from engine could of worn through.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It's the hose connected to the turbine, leaking somewhere there, probably the sealing washer needs replacing, maybe the hose too. So says the mechanic.

5lab

any oil in your water? should be fairly obvious. if there is, hg is gone

Hairychested
    Free Member

Nope, just some oil. Shouldn't be a problem to fix if spares are available. I'll get the car properly done up and that should ensure a couple of years of driving without any major headaches.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car engine leaking – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.