Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • car crash, keep getting phone calls
  • anagallis_arvensis

Someone ran into the back of us at some traffic lights on saturday. Mrs was driving lights changed she stopped care behind didnt. Once I'd established that the dog hadnt been squashed I had to deal with some bloke (foreign) telling her it was her fault. I told cassie to sit in the car took blokes name, number reg etc and gave him mine, and refused tro talk about who's fault it was as I can have a bit of a temper, especially when the lady of my life is involved. Since then I've had a number of phone calls with him demanding my insurance companies number, which I gave him. Depsite my company calling him prior to this after I reported it. Had 6 messages today to call him.

Given that I refuse to argue with idiots (unless its hainey re global warming or england rugby fans :lol:) what can I do. Just glad I did give him my address.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

shop him for harrasment?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As long as you have exchanged all the details you need to – insurance details, name, address (which I thought was a legal requirement actually, but may be wrong) then don't worry. Quite clearly you have done the right thing.

I would log all the calls just in case you need to report the harassment at any point though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon was clearly thinking along the same lines as I was. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I would not enter into any dialogue with the other driver. Inform your insurance company of the continual calls and aggressive nature and explain to them that if you do answer you will ask him to contact his or your insurer as the intermediaries.

tails
    Free Member

Report him to immigration you might be in luck.

uplink
    Free Member

Just glad I did give him my address

Legally – you need to give him it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I had my recent accident (I drove into the back of someone – arse) I was told quite clearly by my insurance company not to speak to the other party at all, report any phone calls without answering questions put to me, forward any correspondence from him or his insurance company to them unanswered.

hora
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Good point, he could be loading his questions and recording the conversation. Thats probably why hes ringing soo much- to get you to word an answer in a way that he could present it as 'evidence'.

Has he said 'so you braked hard just before the lights no' etc?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that sounds about right Hora – I guess all he can do is continue to refuse to answer any calls as he has no legal responsibility to do so now all details have been exchanged.

Harry_the_Spider

Years ago a bloke drove into the back of me. The cost to repair the damage was far higher than this bloke had expected so he got a bit shirty over the phone. I told my insurance company that he had treatened me (they were already involved with processing the claim and it was they who told him about the repair estimate) and they told me that they would sort it out. The phone calls stopped.

allthepies
    Free Member

>The phone calls stopped.

Yeah, occasionally Direct Line sanction "wet" ops.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I don't think you have to give your address. The last time some tit drove into my car, I gave a business card and just took his reg and phone number. I gave this to the insurers and let them deal with it; that's what they are paid for.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Ignore

And I also dont think you need to give your address and phone number too, just your insurance details

He ran into the back of you
    There can be no argument it wasnt his fault
    Unless he says you reversed into him……

anagallis_arvensis

I will let the insurance company know then, the reason I said he was foreign was to imply that he might not understand the local rules, even if the lights hadnt changed its still his fault. I explained at the time the lights changed we stopped and he was arguing it was our fault as they were only orange. So my saying well we'll let the insurance deal with it he might have misunderstood the implied, **** off your talking shite.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get the number he is phoning from blocked

uplink
    Free Member

And I also dont think you need to give your address and phone number too, just your insurance details

I don't think you have to give your address.

You're legally obliged to give your name & address to anyone else involved in the accident – in England & Wales at least

matthewlhome
    Free Member

a few years ago someone ran into the back of me. We swapped details etc and then once he heard my car was a write off he kept calling saying that he could get it fixed for me etc. Was a pain for a while but refused to deal with him – only via insurance. It turned out that he was uninsured and tyring to sort it himself without being found out.

Leave it to the insurers and keep out of it, especially if you are likely to lose your cool with him.

Pigface
    Free Member

Its Backhander trying to tell you how light Hooky is 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Tell him he fecked the scam up, you're supposed to crash into the back of him.

backhander
    Free Member

Yup, and I don't think you really have a temper. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider hijack- did you say you own a Vectra estate? Can I pick your brains? I'm thinking of either a diesel or 2.2 petrol one.

bassman
    Free Member

He is at fault running into your car emergency stop and all that.
    Do not speak to him,it is an insurance claim you could also go through a vehicle claim company that give you a hire car and all charges to the other party as he ran into you.
    very expensive for him, does his licence have his name and picture on it.
    Report to the police as harasment.
    wife has whiplash but getting better report personnel injury to wife, and dog stressed Vets fees.
    that should slow the phone calls.
    Hope the dog is ok.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Hora – if you are thinking of spending your own money on a vectra then i can give you some advice? Dont bother!

We have them as company cars and they are not really very good. They are big and spacious but there seem to be no end of problems with them. Of the 4 people in my office, all 4 of us have had problems with them (and none are over 3 yrs old).

edit: dont want to sound ungrateful about getting a car, but if i were spending my own money then it wouldn't be on a vectra (or probably a vauxhall)

KT1973
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    >The phone calls stopped.

Yeah, occasionally Direct Line sanction "wet" ops.

😆

Harry_the_Spider

hora – Member
    Harry_the_Spider hijack- did you say you own a Vectra estate? Can I pick your brains? I'm thinking of either a diesel or 2.2 petrol one.

I do, but not an estate. 2.0 TDI on a 54 plate. It's OK.

hora
    Free Member

Harry/matthewlhome -ta.

I really want something that is cheap (sub 4k), spacious carrying capacity and RELIABLE!

(Sorry for the hijack)

singletracksurfer

I was under the impression that the person who goes into the back of someone is at fault – period.

They are driving too close if they cannot stop in time – for whatever reason.

hora
    Free Member

singletracksurfer – unless the car in front was racing/brake-testing/driving erratically/or the daddy…road rage.

"I was minding my own business and a driver flashed me from behind, cut me up and then started braking/waving his arm out of the window. I lifted right off and I was really worried for my well being. At the lights he was waiting. He then slammed the car into reverse and connected with my front end. I have two independent witnesses (friends who will say they arent friends)…

It would be then be murky.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hora, on the highjack we have a friend with a Vectra which has been nothing but trouble.

Get a Mondeo instead – much better car and more reliable

hora
    Free Member

Mondeo's not without its own troubles either!

enfht
    Free Member

Divert your mobile to the local Chinese TakeAway?

davidrussell
    Free Member

^ or back to the guys mobile? 🙂

Trekster

hora – Member

Harry/matthewlhome -ta.

I really want something that is cheap (sub 4k), spacious carrying capacity and RELIABLE!

(Sorry for the hijack)
    @ £4k unlikely to get something that is reliable these days.
    japanese/skoda or Passat

Neighbour has just binned his 2nd vectra after 9mths hassle with Vauxhall and bought a Honda crv. The 2.2 has a design flaw in the oil system causing camshaft and other problems. Another mate wrecked 2 engines, work/reps car so only inconvenience to him.
    The hire company wife uses has stopped usinng vectra due to customers complaing about how poor the driving position is, amongst other things.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘car crash, keep getting phone calls’ is closed to new replies.