• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Sum.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car bump insurance question
  • HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Hyperthetically speaking…
    Reversing error
    £350 damage to neighbours car door
    Scratch to our car
    Approx 10yrs no claims protected
    Policy holder and named driver on wife’s policy
    Premiums currently £220, £260 a year
    Claim or settle cash? How much might insurance go up?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d do cash on basis of my limited but similar experiences.

nealglover
    Free Member

No point paying having no claims protected if you’re not going to claim when needed is there ?

Depends how much your excess is though I suppose ?

Mine is £500 quid, so wouldn’t be much point in me claiming really :mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HantsNightRider
    Free Member

No excess on third party claims
    Only on claims to fix my car which doesn’t need fixing

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought the excess was only for your own damage not the third parties damage

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

No claims discount is protected, but insurance still goes up due to claim doesn’t it?

nealglover
    Free Member

No claims discount is protected, but insurance still goes up due to claim doesn’t it?

Never thought of that (doh!)

Although I doubt it would go up by enough to warrant paying £350 out to fix the car yourself ??

nickdavies

It’ll go up on both policies the OP is insured on though, which over a couple of years could be a few quid and the aggro.

I’d suggest asking your insurance the question – they might be chilled about it as it’s not your vehicle and it’s a low value claim. You can only ask and work out the premium difference to work out if it’s worth it.

If you don’t claim though i’d probably ask yourself if there’s any point paying the 10% extra to protect your NCB.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Is the NCB protection a con? You always have to declare an accident and they price the insurance based on that?

v8ninety

Cash job, don’t mention it to the insurance companies (they WILL keep a record and hold it against you) no detriment to 3rd paties car value (stays HPI clear) don’t have to declare a claim for the next FIVE YEARS, with resultant premium hikes. Insurance companies are like bookies, they may pay out in the short term, but they will get it back off you in the end, with trimmings.

IMO, never worth going through insurance unless you can’t afford the lump sum outlay. You’ll pay for it one way or another, best just get it over with.

All hypothetically of course, because you are obliged by the terms of your policy to declare ALL accidents no matter how small so they have a justification to fleece you even more can protect you in the event of a claim.

FuzzyWuzzy

NCB isn’t a good as many think, as has been said the insurer still knows about the claim and it will affect the premium come renewal, although a good NCB will save you some (whether it does in the long run would depend on how much extra you’re paying for protected NCB).

Personally I wouldn’t declare it for £350, over £500 and I would.

Sum
    Free Member

Claim or settle cash? How much might insurance go up?

Go online and get insurance quotes with and without the accident declared. The price comparison websites should give you a rough idea of how much extra you will be paying over the next few years. £350 sounds like a cash job to me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car bump insurance question’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts