• This topic has 73 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Capello to resign if England fail on Wednesday
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Yes, they looked clueless to me too

But the best 23 players in the country should be able to play at this level. There doesn't seem to be cohesion or communication between the players. They were poor against the USA and absolutely disgraceful against Algeria.

hora
    Free Member

Capello to resign if England fail on Wednesday

I think its more likely
    Capello to be quietly paid off if England fail on Wednesday

Capello is pretty blameless compared to the players and their lack of endeavour.

If Robert Green didn't have butter fingers, England would be joint top of the group and only needing a draw on Wednesday.

A mountain to climb against Slovenia, but not insurmountable if the players get their acts together.

higgo
    Free Member

But the best 23 players in the country should be able to play at this level.

Why 'should' they? When were we given this right?

Take a dispassionate look at some of the names in the 23 and I don't reckon we're underperforming too badly. It's more likely we over-qualified.

saleem
    Free Member

Look at Portugal 4 up at the moment against N Korea, England would probably be 0-0, desire, lacking at England, They shouldn't get paid to play for their counrty, that way you'd see who is passionate about playing for their national team.

Edit 5-0

saleem
    Free Member

make that 6, no 7-0

higgo
    Free Member

They shouldn't get paid to play for their country, that way you'd see who is passionate about playing for their national team.

Should we stop paying our Olympians, cricketers, rugby players etc too? I'm all for results based rewards but let's do it across the board.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think we all need to stop getting on their backs now (including the media) and get behind them for Wednesday.

The time for recriminations is later and, barring a spectacular change in performances, will be needed and expected.

oldgit
    Free Member

molgrips are you saying that England FC are Bipolar?

saleem
    Free Member

£6 million a year for a part time job, not bad at all.

Geronimo
    Free Member

I'm not into football, but…

I did end up watching England v Algeria

Even to someone like me, with little idea of the subtle nuances of the game, the England players appeared very poor -I found myself wanting Algeria to score in order to spice things up a little.

The manager on the touch-line appeared as frustrated as the fans and it is ridiculous that people were immediately calling for his sacking after revering him so much for the past couple of years. How much influence does the manager have on an international team that gets together fairly infrequently?

The hype for the England team and for football in general is far beyond the reality. Football really isn't that exciting for 90% of the time and the England team didn't appear to be the conquerors of the world that some deluded souls appear to think that they are.

ps. Although it isn't entirely relevant to the Algeria game, the level of pay of the players(by clubs or otherwise) and the England manager(by the FA) is obscene.

I also find the worship and adulation given to people who can kick a ball skilfully quite distasteful, but I suppose that is up to the worshippers. I hope some of the clubs go bust as an example of how ridiculous and unsustainable their 'business' models are.

Northwind

trailmonkey

Northwind, we all know that the Sun are a bunch of idiots and don't represent what the fans think, so why are you posting that up ?

nickjb
    Free Member

We've played really badly an are still in with a chance of topping the group. Must be a pretty easy group.

Northwind

Trailmonkey- because it's fun to laugh at the Sun. Don't be so defensive.

druidh
    Free Member

Fixture list for this week looks good though..

Tuesday – Mexico meet Uruguay in Rustenburg
    Wednesday – Australia meet Serbia in Nelspruit
    Thursday – France meet England in the Airport

scraprider
    Free Member

lol @ druidh so very true mate, of coures only bringing home…..the duty frees.

edhornby

ok, ok, I'll do it – I'll take on the 'poisioned chalice' that is the england managers job

I'll just go into the press conferences, hand out paper with 11 lines on, tell each journo to write who they want and then go with the majority. bob's yer dad's bro, no criticism because the press pick the team and formation.

how hard can it be, just tell the truth from the outset, that the prem and champions league are preventing us from ever winning the world cup / euro's and that we should relax and enjoy the fact that we're at least good enough to get into the top 20ish

donsimon
    Free Member

I can't help thinking that the problems are down to a player revolt and nothing to do with the manager. I feel that the presence of John Terry is not going to have a settling effect among his teammates, this article does nothing to make me change my mind.
    John Terry is a mistake! Footballers are generally not the sharpest tools and might not be able to tell the difference between protesting against Terry and damaging the team…
    Get rid of Terry and see what happens???

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'd play the 11 who haven't featured yet.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

it should be a good fixture on thursday…….. england to meet france on the plane home !!!!!

Coyote
    Free Member

Drop Terry. He's overrated and a bottler anyway. Now we can add shit stirrer to the list.

ocrider

Looks like he's been hanging out with the French players at Chelsea for too long. I wont be unhappy to see him sitting on the bench with his tracksuit on for the entirety of the match.

saleem
    Free Member

Fabio has been a winner all his life so why would he not want to be now, the mans got balls like a gorilla, had as a player and now as a manager, not scared of dropping player, he admits to not wanting to play flashy football at the cost of success, If England can't win with the team he's picked, which are the best available in the country that's not his fault it's the players, Terry as good as a player as he is shouldn't be there anyway, it should be Wayne Bridge, albeit they play in different positions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If England can't win with the team he's picked, which are the best available in the country that's not his fault it's the players

well only if he selcts the correct team.
    Playing your best midfielder and one of the best in the country out of position on the left does not strike me as genius or not his fault.
    Not picking Cole and insisting on playing Heskey with Rooney , who plays as alone striker and has never had a big target man at Man U etc is his fault.
    That said any team should have beaten Algeria and they have perfomed poorly
    I would play 4-2-3-1

mr_krabs
    Free Member

well only if he selcts the correct team.

You can hardly blame him for sticking with the team that did so well in qualification for the world cup. I'd be very surprised if he names the same side on Wednesday. It's clear that it isn't working.
    Just to think had Rob Green kept out that shot we'd be sitting comfortably on 4 points right now, only needing a point to go through.
    We need an early goal against Slovenia as we had against USA, that might settle the players so we don't end up with a repeat of the algeria game.
    Hoping this John Terry stuff means they will get at them from the 1st whistle.

iDave
    Free Member

they'll go at them for 25 minutes, fail to get anywhere, passes will go astray, then they'll bottle it, rooney red carded, and so on…..

trailmonkey

iDave has it, except for the fact that they'll probably pick us off along the way.

The game against the USA showed that Slovenia play with 2 very regimented lines of 4, they were very hard to break down and potent on the counter. However, as soon as the US changed from their lines of 4 and passed around Slovenia, they took them apart. I cannot believe that if I could see that, the England staff could not. We have to be prepared to change things, hopefully from the start, if we're going to get the result we need. I rather suspect we won't and iDave's prediction will happen.

iDave
    Free Member

England fan's, and i'm not one, fail to even register that the players in other teams may actually be pretty handy, but crucially may lack the deluded arrogance and lack of team spirit that English premiership players seem to wallow in.

How good would Man U and Chelsea be with only English players?

kimbers

i think terry seems to be having a detrimental impact on the team

i cant see that his team mates would have judged him too harshly on his behaviour with wayne bidges missus, they are footy players after all,
    but he seems very resentful of capello dropping him as captain and wayne bridges snub of him and then quitting the england squad and then his roasting in the press seems to have dented his enormous ego ,
    which is one of his strengths and something i imagine the rest of the team depend on too.

the giving up after 25 mins thing is spot on
    they are having some sort of morale problem, whether its terry being a dick, capello being a bully or their pampered lifestyle as underwear models or celeb party pap fodder i dont know

Junkyard
    Free Member

some sort of morale problem

I think they are worried about the effect of the budget on the public sector. Perhaps some angst as they thought that quantitive easing was essential to avoid the double dib recession and they are concerned about the little people?

Tim
    Free Member

They have been playing like they dont care.

Any of the 3 goalies is fine (although i'd like to see Hart given a go but not worth swapping for – James is more vocal and experienced)

Defence:

Carraghers out anyway, Kings injured, so Upson in. Terrys a **** but he puts his body on the line so he's in. Cole and Johnson have been ok.

Midfield:

Gerrard needs to get in the centre. Barry drops behind the midfield to cover the defence so Gerrard can play further forward and have a free role and so as that A.Cole and Johnson can run at their midfield. Lennon on rightwing, J.Cole on leftwing, both running to the bylines and cutting it across. Lampard has been fairly low key but he can score so keep him on.

Rooney on his own up front, supported by Cole, Lennon, Lampard and Gerrard

If we cant score, take Lampard off and put Defoe on for more pace or Crouch to get his head on the crosses.

Stop playing the long ball all the time 🙂 We need to run at the midfield and defences. long ball only works if you catch people by surprise!

Easy 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

Tim, there's a vacancy at Anfield….

Tim
    Free Member

Picking a team and looking at tactics is relatively easy

Juggling the egos of a load of semi-illiterate footballers and taking the blame when they cant be arsed to chase the ball and then lose?

Sod that 🙂

Only Rooney chases the ball down if he loses it. No-one else in the team seems to care when they make an error. Thats the problem.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Capello to resign if England fail on Wednesday’ is closed to new replies.