Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Canyon bikes vs big brands ?
  • policemanjim
    Free Member

Looking at the Nerve XC 7.0 at £1600 the spec is world class and not much else competes, but the drawback is obviously warranty, no shop to nip it back to etc…
    Or are canyon frames a big no no ? Please advise me..

Should i invest in Canyon or look at the bigger brands, (cube, specialized, trek)

Thanks James

snaps
    Free Member

Very big in Germany when we hit the trails there last year & one of the guys was well chuffed with his after two years use.

meandyuk

I’ve got an xc 6.0 and i’m really please with it, nice geometry and kit for the money. I gave it a proper ragging around dalby in the soaking wet yesterday – slightly regretting that as i’ve spent the whole day cleaning sand out of it, but that would be the same with any bike in those conditions of course.

I believe the 2012 models are out next month so might be waiting for one of those or see if you can get a deal on the current models.

tomm
    Free Member

i was tempted by the very highly specced canyon DH bike but the shop i help out in has serviced a couple of canyon road bikes recently and nobody was very impressed. i can’t remember the full list of things that the mechanic picked up on but i remember the rear wheel on one not fitting in between the dropouts without pulling them apart and the other was the opposite and needed reigning in with the skewer.

i got the impression they were a little like intense in the build quality department. they look the part but no two frames are exactly the same. i’ve only seen two though!

tonyg2003

Canyon – fairly big (modest undrstatement alert) on the road side of things. At least one TdF team rides their bikes. You should be fine with them.

flow
    Free Member

Saw one at GT yesterday, fugly and cheap looking, even with decent parts.

lucien

Canyon is a “big” brand, just not in this country!!!

Garry_Lager

I would for sure, but it depends on what type of purchase you’re looking to make. Sometimes you just want something generically good to get the job done, particularly with a fs. Other times you want some class and personality in your ride (more for HT’s IME). I certainly wouldn’t discriminate between a canyon and a cube, say.
    What’s the linkage like on the nerve? If it’s simple to look after you’ll never need it in the shop in any case.

Garry_Lager

d post

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can you buy them here?

john-charles
    Free Member

Just went through the same dilemma,they look like great bikes and the spec is excellent value for money.

However I’ve just had a rather unpleasant few months dealing with a large company trying to get a faulty bike fixed, this did resolve itself and I ended up getting a refund. Off the back of this I decided to buy from a LBS where I could pop in and actually see the people who owned the shop rather than having to rely on some form of customer services set up where people who can actually make decisions may be a number of unnecessarily unpleasant conversations away.

In addition to that right now shops are clearing out their 2011 stock so you can get some pretty hefty discounts if you look around/ask.

Saying that the customer services at Canyon have been reported as being excellent so may be worth the punt. Let us know how it goes if you do,

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of nerves and they are nice looking, seem well built ‘n detailed, ride nice and worth a 2nd look.

The only functional issue with one was a RS aircan losing all its air 2 or 3 times in a week (of Spanish abuse).

The second issue was the lead time; one bloke waited an awfully long time to get his bike. Maybe this was a one off problem. Sh!t happens etc. Apparently CN were very helpful about it despite not coming up with the bike 😕

I have never built, serviced or lived with one so cant comment on the tolerances or other issues as per the above posts…. they seem like nice bikes though.

stanfree
    Free Member

Ive got a Nerve Xc 5 and Im well pleased with It . Well specked and built and got a free torq wrench and shock pump with the delivery . I dont know about It looking ugly but each to there own , Personally I think Orange 5’s look rank but were all not the same thankfully. My bike was delivered on time and the only problem I have had Is a dodgy poploc which Cullen at Canyon Uk is addressing . My other choices before purchasing were the Boardman F/S or at the time I could have had a discounted Pitch and Meta 5 for £1500 but I’d have been overbiked for the riding I do .

samuri
    Free Member

I have a roadbike from Canyon, very impressed with it.

I’m sure they have a distributor in the UK now.

meandyuk

Stanfree: what happened to your poploc? mine is now unusable as it won’t ‘un-pop’, i think the spring is knackered on it – doubt its a canyon fault

postierich
    Free Member

Git a canyon nerve 6.0 and its been grand so far only changed the saddle and Notube stans the wheels for the money £1350 its been a snip for some Lakeland abuse,not planning on changing anything even the brakes are good.
    Not a looker!!!

Canyon Nerve xc by Richard Munro, on Flickr

tomaso
    Free Member

There were two out yesterday on my club ride, both were bottom of the range Nerve XC with RS forks – one red and one black and both looked good. Rear clearance for a big tyre (more than 2.3″ looked tight). but the bikes looked as capable as any other modern mountain bike.

If I didn’t like my Pitch so much I’d contemplate buying a Canyon AM.

Euro
    Free Member

Next time I replace a bike, the Canyon website will be getting a thorough going over. Well made with a decent spec and a fair price.

flow – Member
    fugly and cheap looking, even with decent parts.

If you want beautiful and luxurious try the Orange website?

nobbyq
    Free Member

Hi guys ive had a canyon strive for 3 months and i love it , service is good , with a fan site on facabook , where you can ask question of any nature and a guy from canyon replies or helps out , so far i am impressed !

marco
    Free Member

Me too!
    I have had a strive for about 3 months and its ace. Great bike, very well built, great spec and great customer service…buy one now!

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got one of their top end road bikes and I cannot fault it. Handles amazingly, looks stunning, the kit is top notch and the frame quality is very good. I wouldn’t hesitate to reccomend.

wagenwheel

My girlfriend just bought one of these, really happy with the build quality and the service. 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

I dont think the pic’s do them justice, Canyon’s look way better in the flesh, the finnish takes the pee-pee out of my Santa cruz, i’ve only ridden the Torque, it was fun.

mintimperial

I’ve got a Nerve AM and it’s flipping ace. My one support query (about tubeless wheel compatibility) via email was answered by a UK support chap within half an hour. Had no problems with it at all so far (four months or so).

yunki
    Free Member

An old school friend of mine has just recently bought a Canyon to race in the Absa Cape Epic 2012.. he’s got access to some pretty sound advice..

As said before.. Canyon are a large established brand on the continent.. the world is a far larger place than UK/USA

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bikes vs big brands ?’ is closed to new replies.