Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Can't drink alcohol for a while…
  • Topov
    Free Member

For medical reasons which I won’t bore you with, I can’t booze for a couple of months. Now, I’m not alcohol dependant or anything but I’ll miss a glass of wine with a nice meal etc. Alcohol free beer is rank, mostly with a sickly after taste, question is, are there any alcohol free wines that are worth a try, do they exist even?

I realise that there is no substitute for the real thing!

ski
    Free Member

Not found anything that is a good subsitute to the proper thing, you do get used to not drinking though, takes a couple of months mind 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

No substitute I’ m afraid.
    Would be interested to know (briefly) the reason behind the forced cessation though.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I tried a few alco-free wines and tbh you´re better off drinking pond water.

cloudnine
    Free Member

pure grape juice

sunnrider
    Free Member

Just remembered the gf doesn´t drink alcohol but she does like Krombacher 0%, of all the beers that one´s not actually that bad.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wouldn’t even cross my mind if someone took away my alcoholic drinks forever – just move to nice soft drinks instead.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Adams Wine?

or alternatively Shloer

stumpy01

Yeah, as above. I used to drink Krombacher alcohol free if I was designated driver, when I lived in Germany.

Cobra alcohol free is also OK and you can get that in most supermarkets.

I find with non-alcohol beer, so long as you don’t have it after normal beer, or take a swig of someone else’s beer, then it’s fine. It’s when you get a direct comparison of the two that you realise it really isn’t as good.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just try without. You’ll get used to it and maybe not even bother going back to it. You might come out of this happier, wealthier and healthier 😀

TheFlyingOx

Just arrived back offshore to find the place littered with Becks Blue alcohol-free beer bottles. Tried one at morning coffee break and it’s actually pretty good. Certainly better than the Kaliber pish they gave us last Christmas.

Topov
    Free Member

I’ve tried Becks Blue and Cobra, both have that weird after taste thing going on. Maybe I’m just too discerning? 😉

Back to Schloer I guess, or pond water…

ski
    Free Member

pure grape juice

That’s a good call, thinking about it

chakaping
    Free Member

Try becks blue again with quarter of a lime squeezed in the glass before you pour it. Seriously. Sweetens it up and masks that alc-free taste with a limey tang.

I prefer it to mass-produced lagerpiss like Carling etc.

camo16
    Free Member

As long as your nostrils are functioning normally, there’s always glue. 😉

toby1

Erdinger do an alcohol free beer which is pretty good from memory, personally I’ve never tried an alcohol free wine though, would just be odd I guess.

Fruity combinations and milkshakes all the way 🙂

mintimperial

There’s a couple of bottled alcohol-free weissbiers that are actually rather pleasant. Erdinger do one and so do Schneider Weisse, if I recall correctly.

ransos
    Free Member

We tried this when the Missus was pregnant: http://www.waitrosewine.com/230905979/Product.aspx

You won’t be fooled into mistaking it for the real thing, but it’s a pleasant drink.

mogrim

pure grape juice

Loads of sugar, though.

jeb

Buy a nice espresso machine, ecm, rancillo, something decent, get into the whole-barista-hipster-dang, very enjoyable, as a placebo-pseudo-thingy, another good addiction! 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Asda do a wine called Fre in red, rose and white. The white is a bit too sweet, but I find the others acceptable.

TiRed

Elderflower presse

Can’t stand (unfermented) grape juice.

KT1973
    Free Member

As long as your nostrils are functioning normally, there’s always glue.

And booger sugar!!

hora
    Free Member

Smoke weed? Thats what I’d do if I couldn’t drink

maxray
    Free Member

Erdinger do an alcohol free beer which is pretty good from memory

Had a few watching the footy round a mates when my wife was ready to drop minmaxray before xmas.

Rank!!

Kind of occurred to me what’s the point of drinking the amount I normally would do with real alcohol. I wouldn’t sit n drink a 2 litre bottle of coke or whatever.

Even if its just a glass of wine with a meal it is both the taste and the relaxing properties of the alcohol.

I would go down the coffee route I think.. or weed 😉

loum
    Free Member

mushroom tea

derek_starship
    Free Member

Kind of occurred to me what’s the point of drinking the amount I normally would do with real alcohol. I wouldn’t sit n drink a 2 litre bottle of coke or whatever

Exactly.

Drinking alcohol in all its forms – just a socially acceptable method of administering a drug that acts on the central nervous system.

Love it!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+1 for the tea of the mush.

The next few months will fly by.

hora
    Free Member

2lt’s of Coke is probably just as good/bad as drinking alcohol. What do they put into alcohol? They never put the contents on do they….

juan
    Free Member

And your problem is exaclty?

organic355
    Free Member

the non-alcoholic beer from tescos isnt bad, it comes in a 6 pack of small cans, think its Bavarian or something like that, get ot cold enough and its ok.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Krombacher +1
    Quite nice actually (for alcohol free beer)

derek_starship
    Free Member

And your problem is exaclty?

juan – who are you addressing with this?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

In typical bombastic style I quit boozing (a bottle or two of red a night, most nights) as well as my 40-100 fags a day habit recently. I’ve tried quite a few soft drinks but none hit the spot, except whole milk with ice in it. Really works for me.

igm

Tonic water

juan
    Free Member

The OP derek, it’s not like not drinking is actually that hard if you’re not addicted. Or even life threatening.
    From the top of my head of things you can drink if you don’t stand water:
    fruit juice (plenty of different juices/cocktails available)
    Sparkling water
    all kind of sirup
    A mix of the former two
    Coke
    Fanta
    Orangina
    red bull
    tea
    coffee
    chocolate
    milk
    squashes
    lime and soda
    and I am probably missing an awfull lot.

RicP
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s ‘Alcohol Free’ wine is actually ok.
    Rose is the most drinkable of the 3.

mogrim

2lt’s of Coke is probably just as good/bad as drinking alcohol. What do they put into alcohol? They never put the contents on do they….

They do, usually. British lager is often a bit of an eye-opener, the amount of crap they put into it.

Kuco

I tried a few alternatives but never liked any of them, just drank squash or watered down fruit juice.

djglover
    Free Member

Hey, Bavaria White is a GREAT sustitue for beer. It does taste like wheat beer… Seriously a nice drink. I always like to have a couple after a run. Its a malt drink, rather than a beer with the alcohol removed too..

All other 0% beer is crap though, including Bavarias other NON white one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Can't drink alcohol for a while…’ is closed to new replies.