Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canon DSLR lenses wide angle options. novice needs help..
  • hosepipe
    Free Member

i have a canon 450D. it has the standard 18 to 55 lens. I want a very wide (but not fisheye) lens for it, for landscapes. I don’t have 400 quid for a sigma 10-20 zoom. is there any cheaper options? old manual focus lenses? any help appreciated… my last camera was a nikon F2 film camera! no idea about dslrs. ‘in my day’ on my old film camera, a 24mm lens was very wide.. but what is the equivalent on this dslr xmas prezzie??

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The tamron and tokina versions are both supposed to be good but are cheaper.

Also the 14mm samyang is reported to have excellent picture quality but is mf only. Also can’t be used with most filters. It is only £260ish though.

zokes
    Free Member

Your 450D has a ‘crop sensor’ meaning that what lenses were wide on ‘full-frame’ film, are now less wide on your 450D as the edges get cut off by the smaller sensor. Consequently, a 24mm lens on your camera is actually a 24mm * 1.6 = 38.4mm lens. So to get an effective focal length of 24mm, you actually need a 15mm lens.

The next problem is that rectalinear wide angle lenses are very difficult to make, hence the expense. Also, as crop-sensors are a new concept, there aren’t many old lenses you could use with an adaptor, and certainly none which are autofocus.

My only suggestion is a gamble on a 2nd hand Sigma / Tokina / Tamron (all similar prices and quality), or that SamYang. I’ve read several good reviews about the SamYangs – MF shouldn’t be an issue for landscapes, but the lack of filter capability would be.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Yeah, a used one is your best bet. Try here.

stew1982
    Free Member

yep that sigma is a top buy!

Megatron

Like you I have a 450D body, and got the Tamron 10-24mm lens to go with. Its a little bit faster then the Sigma, and paired up with a Canon 50mm lens does most of my bike photography needs.

Tamron lens in action:

IMG_7658 by Mike Clark, on Flickr

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

+1 for Tamron.

vorlich
    Free Member

Maybe not wide enough for what you’re after, but FWIW the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a great value lens. Significantly better than your Canon kit lens. I got rid of my 17-50 when I moved to full size sensor, when used wide it was sharper at the edges than my current Canon 24-105 L.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think you have to accept that if you want excellent quality images, you’ll have to pay If you can accept that cheap isn’t necessarily going to be nasty, but it ain’t going to be excellent.
    Tamron are good for the price.
    Have a look at these.
    http://www.ffordes.com/
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kerso/m.html

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, a used one is your best bet. Try here.

Are you SURE?

For £22 more you can have a new one (Your used one had £8 delivery)
    http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33641

One Stop Digital are superb, too.

I looked at all the used ones when I bought mine, and they are simply too much money IMO.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Sigma 10-20mm aren’t that good, the Canon 10-22 and the 12-24 both are far better IMO

Cougar

Are you SURE?

Not particularly. It was just £100 cheaper than the £400 quoted above. I figure Google works as well for everyone else as it does for me so I didn’t spend a great deal of time bargain hunting.

But yeah, for the sake of £20, might as well get the new one. Lenses hold their value unusually well.

nmdbase
    Free Member

That was Tokina 12-24

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sigma 10-20mm aren’t that good, the Canon 10-22 and the 12-24 both are far better IMO

Well, for £190 extra the Canon bloody well should be!!

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33333

But the Sigma 10-20 is far from shoddy….

This lens is sharp! At 20mm, resolution tests showed it matched, and at one point even slightly out performed the venerable Canon 17-40mm L.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked at that Sigma.. turns out there are some advantages to being an Olympus user 🙂

On Four Thirds, the new Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4-5.6 offers a wider angle of view and markedly superior optics in a lighter and more compact package

zokes
    Free Member

turns out there are some advantages to being an Olympus user

The fact that the company are in dire straits and as a result there may be no access to accessories or spares if they go under? 😉

Pity – they do / did some great products, but hiding that much debt, then sacking a new manager for questioning it raises some, ahem, questions about the longevity of the brand.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If I really wanted to shoot super wide, I’d shoot 35mm film – ’cause I’m a cheapskate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the company’s situation is somewhat dire.. but on the plus side at least their lens standards are open 🙂

All the more reason for me to buy a 9-18m – to help the company out, and to snap one up before they disappear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Canon DSLR lenses wide angle options. novice needs help..’ is closed to new replies.