Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cannondale 1.5" headset reducer question
  • norbert-colon

Hi Folks

I’m re-building a Cannondale Gemini frame at the mo (1.5″ headtube with cannondale adaptors to reduce to 1 1/8th) and have some Pikes to put on.

I was contemplating removing the Cannondale adaptors out of the frame and just using a reducer headset. (there was a thread a while back about someone doing this)

However, in addition to the issue of the fork crown hitting the downtube, I was concerned that this would drop the front end down too much and overly “steepen” the front end?… there are old Pyslo U turns on there a the mo..

Any thoughts as to whether I should just leave the adaptors on and fit a standard headset?

Cheers

julioflo
    Free Member

The hope step down has about 10mm of protrusion out of the bottom of the headtube, for the reasons you are talking about. I think there is an FSA one that has similar 10mm protrusion

norbert-colon

That’d probably do it just about… but the adaptor thingy is at least 20mm..

I also think I read somewhere that only the specific cannondale cane creek headsets go into this adaptor.. or have I got that wrong?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MadPierre

I had a Gemini with Psylos new back in 2001 and the Cannondale adapter on the bottom added quite a bit of height to make the geometry right.

I reckon running Pikes without it would give a pretty steep head angle as the Pikes ain’t that long.

I got rid of the adapter and went for just a headset when I swapped to Z150 forks which were much longer and that worked fine.

Loved that frame – started out with 125mm forks as an XC bike and finished up with 200mm double crowns as a full on DH bike. That’s what I call versatile!

norbert-colon

Thanks for that MadP.. that was my thinking.. don’t want a steeper front end really.

I’ve had this frame ages and every time I look at swapping it I can’t seem to justify spending the wedge when something else doesn’t seem to offer me much more.

MadPierre

time to shop for some longer forks for it then! 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale 1.5" headset reducer question’ is closed to new replies.