Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Cannock's new Monkey Trail. Initial impressions.
  • snakebite
    Free Member

its coz cannuck is in the west mids innit, big towns all around. CyB, NyA, 7 STAINES etc are in the middle of nowhere……though Lllandegla may appear to be a half way house at times.innit m8

MikeWW
    Free Member

Is it just me that gets irritated by all these "after the event" observations. CT and a shed load of volunteers have given up a lot of time to do P2 and have done a great job. If posters feel so strongly about things why did they never get off their arses and contribute? But no, somehow they feel entitled to share their views on what other people should do but don't feel any compulsion to actually do anything (but spout tripe)
    It would be ideal of those that don't like stuff just go elsewhere. As to trees being too close together, bits been tricky, bumps on the trail-just stick to the family trails 😀

Frankers
    Free Member

I rode it on Saturday and thought it was really good.

Tbh though i'm a bit disapointed as fluffed a couple of uphill switchbacks where most who already posted said they cleared them all……. need more practice me thinks!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Anyone got any pics of this werewolf drop? I'm intrigued!

Chris-S
    Free Member

Werewolf drop

scruff
    Free Member

it's the one location where I come across riders with a profusion of Halford sourced bikes

Whats wrong with that? They are getting out having fun on bikes, why are you so superior? Would you prefer they stayed in their little council estate cul-de-sac with the other ghetto-rats smoking crack? Just because you have a spanky Ti bike doesn’t mean you have any priority over those with lower specced bikes. Helmets is irrelevant, I’ve seen carbon bling steeds ridden by helmetless riders, their call, its not compulsory.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice vid, looks like a fun trail. I'm going up on Saturday if the weather stays nice, looking forward to it. The werewolf drop doesn't look as scary as I thought but looks like it probably has the potential to catch you out especially with the narrow tree run-in! Video always seems to flatten stuff though..

Is it all a seat-down job or can it all be done comfortably with a seat at pedalling height?

st

Just to clarify one of the other issues raised. The FC have been in consultation with the respective parties for the road and rail crossings. It seems that these things take much longer to resolve than we would like to see in our own perfect world.

Again to assume that a landowner such as the FC would not have considered these issues during the development of the trail seems rather naive to me.

Over the last 8 years or so the local FC team we deal with have been nothing but supportive of our work, even today it seems that where other groups are having their trail work stifled we continue to work in partnership to develop what we believe are great trails.

Must be because we're effin ace.

maxray
    Free Member

"Must be because we're effin ace."

+1

You are to be honest, really impresses me what yo uhave managed ot get out of a landscape which it has to be said is not blessed with loads of easy altitude gain.

robidoo
    Free Member

I like the look of this trail, how easy is it to get to from Sheffield?
    I feel a mid-week ride is on the cards.

The-Tall-Man
    Free Member

Rode there satdy and have to say that they have done a fantastic job. Once its bedded in the switch backs should be a bit easier too. Not that my garden gate will be able to Maneuver round em! Two of our party managed comical dismounts mentioning no names!

andy7t2
    Free Member

no need to lower your seat for any of the trail tom, werewolf looks worse than it is easily rollable if you let go of the brakes

takisawa2

I like the look of this trail, how easy is it to get to from Sheffield?

M1>A38. Come off at Alrewas & head for Rugeley. Pretty easy. Hour & a bit maybe. If time is an issue maybe park at Phase 2 & ride it on its own & repeat the last runs. Doing the complete FtD & Monkey Trail together might be optimistic if your starting any later than 6:30 given the light.

robidoo
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply takisawa2 time would not be an issue as I would be over early, are the routes sign posted where is best to park etc?

iain1775
    Free Member

Parking really depends if you want to pay to park at the main centre and give something back for trail maintenance or not –

Birches Valley Car park (£3) cafe, bike shop, start of Follow the Dog / Monkey link
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=401852&y=317105&z=120&sv=401852,317105&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=742&ax=401852&ay=317105&lm=0

Marquis Drive car park (free) cafe, join FtD near last section (The new Tackeroo ending) and ride around back to this point
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=400624&y=315385&z=120&sv=400624,315385&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=742&ax=400624&ay=315385&lm=0

Monkey Trail start proper (if you are short of time and just want to do the Monkey – Monkey and FtD link together anyway so can always park near here and do the lot just starting in different order)
    There is a large layby nearby you can park in for free
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=402446&y=315020&z=120&sv=402446,315020&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=742&ax=402446&ay=315020&lm=0

Style Cop car park (free)- for the downhill trails, it is possible to park here and go down the hill (red DH run is very straightforward and easy) to link up with Monkey at the Lower Cliff section (M8)
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=403893&y=315775&z=120&sv=403893,315775&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=742&ax=403893&ay=315775&lm=0

lrd
    Free Member

I think it's time for the locals to stop fuelling this thread so it drops off the front page, the place is busy enough without encouraging tourists from Sheffield etc. Or, we say how badly it's cutting up and that it really isn't worth visiting until it's repaired and the rest of the trail is complete (seeing as such comments have put me off visiting Gisburn for the time being) 😆

StuF

About how long is it to get round, I've a limited time on sunday morning for a quick blast.

Drillski
    Free Member

About how long is it to get round, I've a limited time on sunday morning for a quick blast.

I would tell you, but if Alex found out I'd ever timed myself around FtD he'd have me "shot in the face".

you could look here though…..

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

Ti29er
    Free Member

What plans have the FC put forward?

Normally the FC do seem to have everything in good order, so I was wondering what's in the pipeline as I assume the business plan projected many thousands of riders using the trail?

(Has Scruff climbed down off his high horse yet?)

iain1775
    Free Member

depends if you believe all the willy waving 1hour lap time bull on chase trails 😆
    If you want to go at a sensible pace, enjoy it, take in the view and have a breather ocasionally rather than hammer round head down I would say about 1.30-2hours for Monkey and FtD

Ti29er
    Free Member

2hrs is what we did it in.
    Very leisurely as he's unfit!

It's far more scenic out there than the Ftd. Worth taking a moment at that bench near the end of the Monkey Trail.

Drillski
    Free Member

To the OP, this is not a flame, but a critque of your critique. Please feel free to dicuss.

I hope to enjoy it later in the year when it's bedded in better as it just seemed someone had seen an article on Glentress in January's MBR and then some trail images from Dalby in February's MBUK & March's pictures of Afan in What Mountain Bike and thought they'd compress everything & it'd hang together.

How will the trail bedding down make it more enjoyable to you if your main complaint is that it is a collection of magazine images that don't work together as a concept?

And those endless switch-backs!

You prefer fireroad slogs i presume? or are you aware of other options with the terrain available to the trail builders?

I got the feeling the trail designer wanted to unseat or catch the rider out, not let the riding flow.

No attempt has been made to unseat the rider, but this is mountain biking, it involves technical dificulties that if not considered and mastered will catch you out; it's not BMXing on a wide open rolled surface with huge banked corners everywhere. perhaps too many people are a little uncomfortable these days if all their corners do not have a positive camber provided for them.

I met no one out there today who could begin to "clean" the trail.

So? It's a proper red route. Try harder, improve your skills, ride better.
    It's what we call "aspirational". Soem corners require more thought than others, but most people manage most of them.

The local A&E dept will see many a rider through its doors in the coming months

Yep, they will, and they have. Having worked in A&E i can ttell you though, that though we tut at sports injuries, the workload they impose is minimal on a sunday compared to the drunks, junkies, fat idiots with indigestion, toothaches, headches, cuts and scratches, backaches, lost prescriptions, to name but a few of the detritus that clogs up an A&E most of the time. Sporting injuries are regretable, but better than sitting on your arse doing nothing.

& how long before the first fatality crossing that main road

It's a mountain biking red route. If you can't cross a road as an adult, you shouldn't be out on a bike, or natural selection will just be doing it's job I'm afraid.

I doubt anyone not involved will ever realise the volume of work that the core members of Chase trails have put in to the design, redesign, refinement, liasing and coordinating, fundraising, and not least building over many years to reach this point. I think a damn good job has been done, and I salute them.
    UP THE MONKEY!

iain1775
    Free Member

is this still going on?
    How easy is it to put Cannock locals noses out of joint!

You all did a great job building the trails, generally they are fantastic, possibly the best ENGLISH manmade trail
    Thank you very much for all your hard work and giving up your time you are absolute Midlands mountain biking heroes

however human nature means you will never satisfy everyone all of the time
    Accept it, get over it, move on and enjoy your trails for what they are!

(shame you couldnt make them a private memebers only club, seems to be what you would have preferred :roll:)

postierich
    Free Member

"Cough"
    😕 yet to see the video of you clearing the Black section Iain17775

iain1775
    Free Member

thats cause with a 3 week old baby at home I havent had time to edit the footage but also cause I dont have to prove anything to you mate!
    (and besides you wont see anything as my cables are so overly long they completely obsured the camera lens 😉 )

scruff
    Free Member

I've got 2 babies at home and cleaned both rock gardens no dabs first time. So did my dog, and hes got no bollocks.

postierich
    Free Member

Iain dont worry fella your secrets safe with me!

Btw I,ve not cleared it neither tad frightening for mwah 😉

cluck cluck!

asolasol
    Free Member

I drive that A460 twice a day, I also bike and run all over the Chase. I have to say the Monkey Trail is great, if its challenging and dangerous to some then they should have the sense to do something else.
    My main critisism is the signage on the A460, it implies a race is in progress. Bloody long race! They have been there too long and drivers will now ignore them. In fact it will undermine bona fide race signs as their validity is questioned. The signs should be directed at the cyclists, the onus should be on the cyclist to take care crossing as its a losing battle to slow down the traffic. I don't slow down as a car driver (and I should know better!) and I'm sure most others don't either. The cyclists should be aware that cars/motorbikes pass at 80mph plus and therefore cross accordingly. Any vehicle signage may lull the cyclist into a false sense of safety and make things worse.
    I see it from both sides, I've ran across that road in a running race (marshalled) and when you're against the clock you do some stupid stuff!!!
    Anyway I've harped on for too long. Storm in a teacup? Perhaps!!

Keef
    Free Member

' Drillski – Member

I would tell you, but if Alex found out I'd ever timed myself around FtD he'd have me "shot in the face".

you could look here though…..'

OMG,WTF !!! 'shot in the face by Alice'

now that's something I hope to never see…….

Fnar,fnar….

witty.name
    Free Member

Im a Cannock local and think the new trail is great but to say its the best english man made trail makes me laugh.Ever been to Lee Quarry or Dalby for that matter? The monkey trail is just what the chase needed but come on….

flip
    Free Member

I'm very local too and only rode it yesterday 😳

I can only praise it, it was hot and i only saw one other rider, i only ride there in the week it's too busy at weekends.

Job well done!!!

Dasha
    Free Member

I rode it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found myself running out of line on a few descents, but that was my fault, for not looking up and reading the trail right. I reckon once it's bedded in a bit and I'm familiar with it, it'll be a cracking course. If anybody has done that tree thing in the dry, let alone the wet, then I'm in awe of their huge bollocks, skill and the god like status that they must be afforded by their riding buddies.

tomstickland
    Free Member

I visited for the first time on Sunday (24th Oct 2010) with a party from MBSwindon. We reckon that it’s one of the best trails around. Follow the dog is a lot of swoopy fun plus some decent entertainment on rocks and wood. We did it twice; the second lap took about 45 minutes IIRC. We did the rollers at the end three times on the last lap.

The Monkey Trail is defintely the best bit for me. Really good technical uphill stuff and virtually no fire road climbs. Excellent. The three sets of rock gardens were really scarey when damp and slippery.
    We did a fun short cut down some muddly single track to that quarry, cutting our some fire road.

The last two downhill sections were awesome..

Regarding the road and rail crossing, I don’t see what the problem is. Just wait for a gap in the traffic and get on with it.

I’m quite surprised at some of the negative comments in this thread. You’ll find that those with the worst attitude are those who’d never get off their arse and do any building. Armchair experts.

Scamper
    Free Member

The rail crossing was improved last week with dual crossing gates and i think a lot of shrubbery was removed.

Two massive advantages of cannock as lack of fire road (which i beleive is going to be improved further) and lack of mud. Unless of course you like mud and fire road.

scruff
    Free Member

Scamper
    Free Member

Ah, standard issue Follow Your Dad kit?

Wookster

I rode there for the first time this week end and I loved it though it was a great trail and think its got some great features. top class work there chaps.

There was a huge amount of peopel on the trails that i saw from a chap on a 224 to a £100 quid fs tesco bike all had the same crazed grin on their faces as I did so it has got to be good! I do think a bit of rain will help as it will be hit hard with braking bumps with that volume of traffic but thats all part of the fun is the unexpected nature of the trail.

Loved it!! My only gripe is the chap who got the last baked spud in the cafe was only one spot a head of me in the que, still good sausage rolls!! 😉

kerv
    Free Member

Another positive here. Rode it about a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The bit (can’t remember the name) just before you cross back over the road/railway was fantastic.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I noticed the ‘trail fairies’ were out at the weekend building a new black run option down the old ‘original’ section of the Monkey trail 8)

bammy
    Free Member

Rode it last Sunday 24th, great weather, but looks like everybody and his dog turned out! The place was like the January sale’s, way too busy. Fat blokes in lycra on 5k bikes stopped looking at 3ft stone drops, while 20 + riders backed up behind them!! Jesus!! As for trail flow, wouldn’t know because of fat blokes in lycra on 5k bikes! Also most of the people there were not cool, no trail etiquette at all. Some were very cool though.
    Seriously some of the trail is great, some great jumps / drops some great corners. 2 hour plus drive for me, so not on the top of my list rather go natural in the Peaks. gets a 7 from me.

Hats of to the trail builders.

PS we went with a bunch of local’s who showed us some ACE off trail stuff, its out there if you keep your eyes peeled. Much better than FTD and Monkey, IMO! Nice one Phil, Kirby & Calum!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Cannock's new Monkey Trail. Initial impressions.’ is closed to new replies.