• This topic has 34 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cane Creek Double Barrel & Orange 5
  • Matt_B
    Free Member

Has anyone tried this combination? I see Dirt have run a feature on the pair. Interested to try it out as I cant believe the weight penalty will be that significant?

Does anyone know if you could run a Ti Spring on that small a shock? (Unsure of eye to eye length on a 5).

Cheers!

mybike
    Free Member

I to I = 190mm
    I'd like to try it but thinking the 2010 RP23 with the valve whasit would be cheaper option

Matt_B
    Free Member

Im sure the Boost Valve wotsit is great (ive tried it) but just wondered if anyone had tried the CCDB setup as that must be awesome? All at a cost of course as £600 is alot to justify!

Matt_B
    Free Member

Anyone?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I understand it that there are only 2 CCDB shocks in the world that are in the right size to fit a Five. Dirt have one and one of the other mags have the other. A friend of mine might be getting the third one. Hence, there won't be a huge amount of opinion available yet.

Sim

I had one on my Patriot, really changed the way the bike felt (for the better) once it had been tuned in. Much improved pedal-ability and very controlled on rocky descents.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Funnily enough I've been talking to Stif in Leeds about exactly this setup just this week. They said the same as matthew_h about there being only 2 shocks in the world that'll fit.
    BTW a shock plus Ti coil is nearer £800 from them so it's a serious investment.
    If you check out the Cane Creek site in the States it lists the 190 x 50 as an option on their order form so it is possible to get one. Much cheaper in the States too, but they don't ship direct to the UK, you have to use their importer.
    I also called Stendec (CC's listed UK importer)and they are selling them for £625 for a longer 203 x 57 version. Didn't ask about the 190 x 50 cos I've moved on to thinking about a SC Heckler with the DB instead.

momo

MBR have the other one, they got it for comparison in their recent air shock test.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Just checked CC's website again and it definitely lists 190×50 as a std option. Thinking about it, it also says somewhere that it is entering OEM partnership with, amongst others, Turner, whose 5 Spot is a 190×50.

If you have a friend in the States who'll forward post you one, it should be pretty easy (and cheaper) to get one.

Rex
    Free Member

I've got a 190×50 CCDB on my 5spot. Great shock. Got mine from richard at gravity sports.

don't see where the 'only 2 will fit' comment has come from unless there is interference with the frame and shock dimensions and they have to adjust them especially for the 5.

if you can, do it!

momo

The only 2 in the world comment came from MBR, who had stated that CC had custom made 2 shocks to suit the Orange 5, one of which they had, and the other was with another publication in Monmouth (Dirt)

Matt_B
    Free Member

Ive been speaking to Malcome at CC and he didnt seem to think getting one would be an issue.

grantway
    Free Member

So how different will it be to my RP 23 and what improvements over the Rocks,Roots
    will it be?
    Has I have asked about putting a coil shock on my 5 AM and most DownHillers
    and shops say dont bother.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i'm thinking about one for my patriot (i'm really not interested in the "it'll be better on a horst link frame" crap)…

the CCDB comes with lots of options for spring size

165 x 38mm (6.5" x 1.5")
    171 x 44mm (6.75" x 1.75")
    190 x 50mm (7.5" x 2.0")
    200 x 50mm (7.87" x 2.0")
    200 x 57mm (7.87" x 2.25")
    215 x 63mm (8.5" x 2.5")
    222 x 63mm (8.75" x 2.5")
    222 x 70mm (8.75" x 2.75")
    230 x 70mm (9" x 2.75")
    240 x 76mm (9.5" x 3.0")
    267 x 90mm (10.5" x 3.5")

Rik
    Free Member

Malcom at cc has said that the only negative is the weight. Positives are more control, a feeling of bottomless travel, improved pedalling ability without a comprising on the ability to handle small bumps. Improved action on multiple hits, less stiction. Basically if you dont mind the money which is a lot or the weight which again a lot, about a pound more than a rp23 then there are no negatives.

Steve Jones also rates the shock as being on another level.

Oh and I dont thing Ti spring is an option as its not available in that size,plus it is supposedly better to run more sag than normal on the shock as its more controlled. So i would not like to buy a Ti spring straight away only to find out it was the wrong weight!

I missed the MBR test last month due to being in France, if anybody would like to share what they said or could send me a scan of it would be much appreciated.

the_lecht_rocks

improved small bump response.
    increased perception of 'depth of travel'.
    infinite adjustability.
    better control.
    plush damping.

why not buy one ?

cheaper than most 2010 forks as well. don't understand blowing a gash on forks and not on a shock……….??????

Matt_B
    Free Member

If anyone has the MBR article (or the Dirt one) would you mind scanning it in and sending it over?

I think Nukeproof do a Ti shock in the right size? I'd probably try it with steel first though. Or just pop and see Stendec down the road.

hora
    Free Member

I saw this. The downsides are weight of the unit (very heavy) and cost (very expensive).

dont see the point unless its gravity assist and your rich.

messiah
    Free Member

Or you believe all air shocks are gash (like me… air is for tyres 🙄 , metal is for springs 😀

Anybody tried an Avalanche shock?

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com

the_lecht_rocks

cane creeks customer service is second to none – free springs in the post to me from the US, incredible 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

like me… air is for tyres , metal is for springs

Til you have to pedal up and along stuff 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Has anybody decided to spend a wodge of cash and invest yet?

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Ok
    Although I do not ride Orange, I drop some serious money on my CCDB to fit on Canfield CanCan. First ride in 2weeks time, I am still waiting for a mounting hardware to fit my frame. I will be racing so should have a nice feedback.
    Surely it add some weight but I am fairly heavy rider so extra pound or so it not going to make much more difference for me. Mind I am not an XC rider so my feedback might not be easily applicable to an XC application but nevertheless I am very excited to try that new piece of kit.

Matt_B
    Free Member

I havent invested yet as still deciding on whether to get a 5 or a Heckler but if there's only 1lb difference between the CCDB and the RP23 that sounds great!

Rex
    Free Member

okay, so i'm a complete nerd:
    190×50 RP3 = 240g
    190X50 CCDB (550lb spring) = 876g

that's 636g (1.4lb) difference, fact fans.

buy one. the weight really isn't an issue when you consider the advantages.

scuttler

Bend yer knees a bit more and spend it on beer 'n' tabs instead.

UK-FLATLANDER

I've got a CCDB on my 5 Spot, which is the same size as a 5. I got a Ti spring with it, but that was 18 months ago – not sure if they are still doing the small Ti springs. Certainly make the back end hug the ground. Just be prepared to get a fork that does it justice.

Rik
    Free Member

Its only a pound heavier than a RP23 if run a Ti coil on the shock. Its 1.4 pounds with a steel coil.

mozzie
    Free Member

Just buy an Intense tracer or 5.5 for ultimate handling

jonzo
    Free Member

I've been riding a 2010 AM 5 now for a few months with the RP23 Boost Valve, which doesn't provide any answers in my opinion. Still blows through it's mid stroke! I could get it Pushed apparently and valved with more compression damping but the CCDB sounds as though it has enough adjustability to make it compliant in most conditions, ie: Trail centres or Alps.
    Weight is always an issue but it the end result is "going faster" surely it has to be considered.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cane Creek's Ti springs only come in 3" and 3.5" strokes but Nukeproof springs do fit and are of course cheaper. It may be that the CC springs are lighter for any given stroke length and weight (lb/inch) but a much longer stroke length than needed will add weight any way.

I have a CCDB in my workshop, waiting for a new Nicolai Helius AM to arrive so they can get it on!

loco_pollo
    Free Member

A CCDB is on my wishlist, will probably get one early next year. The rp23 is brilliant though, I wonder quite how much better a CDDB will actually be. I'm not a pro rider or anything; maybe I would be better off spending the money on a skills day 🙂

Rex
    Free Member

it's lots better.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I have a CCBD Ti spring on my socom and its awesome. takes a lot of playing around to get set up because its so adjustable.

it is much better than the Fox's have have on my other bikes, I'd put them on all my bikes if they'd fit and if I could afford it.

Rik
    Free Member

I'm sure i read on one of the other threads that one or two people had done this now??
    Any experiences or photos

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Double Barrel & Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.