Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cancelled sportive, am I right to be slightly annoyed? *Refund content*
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Was all set to take part in a Sportive last Sunday, which I (and three mates) were very much looking forward to. However (as you know) it rained heavily on Sat night, and on arrival at the venue Sunday morn we were told ot was cancelled. It seems a river/stream burst its banks and flooded one part of the course (presumably a part tan was on both the 50 mile and 75 mile route). Disappointing but ultimately if its floaded, its floaded, its not their fault.

The informed us that we would be emailed in the week as to the “next step”. I assumed ac hoice of refund or credit fo ranother event. No.

We were emailed today to say that refunds were not on the cards (aparently in the T&Cs, fine) and that we had a choice of 3 events we could now transfer our credit to. This company has 31 road sportives next year. From March to December.

What do we have on offer to transfer to? Three of them, the first being in July. I entered this event in September. Therefore it will be a minimum of 10 months then that I am actually able to take part in an event that I have paid for, alternatively I can just forfeit the entry fee all together.

Am I right ot be extremely annoyed?

bencooper
    Free Member

Presumably the earlier events are already full up?

I’d say it sounds reasonable to me.

Lifer
    Free Member

There’s always a third way:

druidh
    Free Member

Assuming that this same Sportive runs next year, I’d have expected them to simply give you entry to that. Anything else is a bonus.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Presumably the earlier events are already full up?

I’d say it sounds reasonable to me.

They aren’t, then have one event currently full, which I have excluded from the 31.

meehaja
    Free Member

third post, suggests third way. Perfect.

scaredypants

Was it in the new forest ?

There were 2 fords on the typical wiggle route that were impassable, one was taped-off by the police. I walked over the chicken-run bridges but hundreds couldn’t really have done so (and I did duck under the tape). Couple of flooded bits of road too.

Shame, but I guess if the earlier ones are full, …

Edukator
    Free Member

I have no idea why anyone pays for a sportive held on an open public road.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah but what about the OPs question?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Was it in the new forest ?

There were 2 fords on the typical wiggle route that were impassable, one was taped-off by the police. I walked over the chicken-run bridges but hundreds couldn’t really have done so (and I did duck under the tape). Couple of flooded bits of road too.

Shame, but I guess if the earlier ones are full, …

Correct, Devil’s Punch Bowl. I don’t have a problem with them cancelling it.

The other events are not full, in fact none of them are!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Personally I would have thought that entry to any of the other 31 events would have been reasonable but what do I know.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    I have no idea why anyone pays for a sportive held on an open public road.

POSTED 6 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Because there are only a couple of closed road events in the UK?
    Because they wanted to?
    Because there OK and you get directions, a feed stop or 2, timing etc.
    Many reasons

As for cancellations what did the T&C’s say when you entered – check to see if they are consistent and if they are then thats what you agreed to when you ticked the box. If not you have grounds to complain. – Sorry to be blunt.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d want a full refund. You paid for something and they didn’t supply it. I can see how that might be a problem for them so a credit note to be spent however you want would be the next best thing and just about acceptable. What they have offered is a joke.

scaredypants

I didn’t know we had a devil’s punch bowl round here – you sure you weren’t near guildford ?

(I suppose they’ve probably had to offer everyone a space on some event or other and so are restricting options to stop you all going for one that’s soon & getting pissed off with them again and again as they all fill up ?)

sugdenr
    Free Member

Just because their t&cs tell you something thankfully doesn’t necessarily make it true.
    I would expect your legal rights to be that they dont have to refund if they can offer you a reasonable alternative.
    If the alternative is not reasonable – and whay is offered is not then they must refund you.
    I sugeest you give them a choice of 3 that you are prepared to accept and if they cant make space then demand a refund.
    As I keep telling everyone I find a completed one of these http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf is 100% persuasive in 100% of cases.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Thanks all (only those who agree with me of course).

Sugdenr – well put. I may actually use the modern day court system for this, I paid wih paypal…….

I just can’t believe they think its acceptable to hold on to our money for such a long period of time. Why not offer the three choices as the next three events? Am also surprised that they are not covered by their insurance for weather-related cancellations.

faz083
    Free Member

They’re sitting on your money for 10 months making interest on it. I’d be annoyed, tbh.

aP
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for my refund from the Gran Fondo Cymru. I’m fairly certain it’s never going to happen.
    Life is shit sometimes. Live with it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Good luck with paypal, just took me 1.5 months getting them to stand by payment protection for a non-ebay item.
    BTW for paypal you need the European Small Claims Form…..

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d be expecting a full refund. What happens if you’ve already got plans ie a holiday booked etc that clash with the local alternatives next year? You paid for something, they didn’t provide-what were the t’s&c’s?

jota180
    Free Member

In the 1st instance I’d email them back thanking them for there offer but declining it and tell them what options were acceptable other than a full refund and see how it goes.
    You might want to also inform them that SOGA over-rules their TCs.

druidh
    Free Member

Does SOGA cover “services”? I thought it only covered “product”.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d expect a refund from the organisers if they cancelled. I believe insurance is available to event organisers to cover cancellation in the event of bad weather. If they decide not to take that up then it’s up to them.

jota180
    Free Member

Does SOGA cover “services”? I thought it only covered “product”.

The ‘Supply of Goods and Services’ does but it’s irrelevant at this stage, just making them understand you’ll take it further if needed

crazy-legs

Radical thought but maybe try contacting them before you go off on one on a forum?
    “Dear organiser, thanks for your offer but I can’t make the alternatives, please arrange refund/gift vouchers/free entry into an alternative sportive/moon on a stick*”

*delete as applicable

ourmaninthenorth

They’ve failed to provide a service. Claiming that the weather stopped play won’t be enough – they should have (a) planned for these contingencies and (b) ought to have insurance to cover this.

Demand refund to be paid ASAP and in any event within, say, 7 or 14 days. Point out that after that you reserve the right to charge interest and take whatever necessary action to recover.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cancelled sportive, am I right to be slightly annoyed? *Refund content*’ is closed to new replies.