Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • can of worms – Helmet replacement…..
  • iainc

3.5 yr old lid, used twice a week. never had a big crash but a couple of OTB dings and branch encounters. keep it going for another year or replace ??

Yes, i know i ‘want’ a new one but can’t really justify on wants alone 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Getting towards the end of its life I would say. If the OTB ones actually gave you any noticeable impact it should have been replaced then

iainc

TJ – do you buy into the 3/4/5 yr replacement thing ? I am a bit sceptical. The OTB put a 20p sized ding about 1mm deep in it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes I do buy into that. a ding that size its scrap anyway. that area of the poly will never work as well again

The poly degrades with time slowly and with uv exposure more quickly so it depends on usage and storage how long they last. 5 years is an average,

iainc

cheers for that, methinks that order button at Merlin is about to clickety click !

alfabus
    Free Member

who made the lid? check out their crash replacement policy – you may be able to get one cheap.

for instance, Giro replace up to 3 year old helmets for a lot less than RRP if you send it back to them with proof of purchase.

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/

Dave

iainc

it’s a Giro Xen, but over 3 yrs old. Unfortunately cannae find exactly where/when I bought it – online at 1 of 3 places but can’t find on my account histories

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The Giro crash replacement program is useless, once you’ve factored in the postage cost of sending in your old helmet you only save a couple of pounds.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet it’s fine.

iainc

The Giro crash replacement program is useless, once you’ve factored in the postage cost of sending in your old helmet you only save a couple of pounds.

yeah, I reckoned that – it would cost me just short of £70 for a replacement Xen while i can get a new Xar for just over £80.

Al – I think it probably is too……

iainc

so before I splash £80 on a Xar, any alternatives ??

beanieripper
    Free Member

yes, dont waste the 80 quid, take your other half out for a meal…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes – get the helmet from your LBS thats fits you properly – don’t buy mailorder

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You guys really think a dented helmet is fine? get a grip. After an impact it rebounds out most of what it was compressed but the internal structure of the EPS is damaged. It will also more than likely be dented on the inside as well.

Dents that are visible means it has lost a lot of it meagre capacity to absorb impact.

toys19
    Free Member

You guys really think a dented helmet is fine? get a grip. After an impact it rebounds out most of what it was compressed but the internal structure of the EPS is damaged. It will also more than likely be dented on the inside as well.

Teej I refer you to my post in the economics thread.

elaineanne
    Free Member

seriously buy another helmet !!!! dont buy online try lots on as all helmets are different….. especially Specialized hemets…they only fit specilized heads’ apparently… 😉

iainc

I know which one I want and have tried on in shop. I also asked them how close they could get to Merlin’s price, as I would happily pay a wee bit extra to support the LBS, the guy said that if he was me he would buy the Merlin one as they couldn’t get within £15 of the price.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fairy snuff

iainc

aye, I still feel a tad guilty about not buying from the shop having tried one on there but they are happy about it, so hey ho

Mister-P
    Free Member

they are happy about it, so hey ho

No they are not happy about it, they just know they can’t compete so are being gracious.

iainc

Mister P, agreed, however I do buy a lot of stuff from them, so they accept in this case that buying on line is reasonable.

Anyway, this is in danger of going off topic !

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Personally, trying something in an LBS then buying online is a massive insult & abuse of the LBS.
    As said, they aren’t ok, just resigned to it.

Anyway I have a Giro Xen & Urge Endur-O-Matic which I love.

edsbike
    Free Member

Large, matte black, hardly used Xen for sale here if you’re interested? It just can’t get a comfy fit after a few rides with it. Email me if you’re interested.

Ed

iainc

eds – sorry, a bit too big for me, but thanks anyway

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘can of worms – Helmet replacement…..’ is closed to new replies.