• This topic has 61 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Can of worm, would you:
  • smell_it
    Free Member

Rickos – fair enough, but the chap who stopped had no idea how serious it was and just stopped to ask if i needed any help. In fact, i tried to tell him all was in hand, as i’d nearly pushed my way into buxton, with the intention of picking up some clothes and a hotel room, and going to some outdoor event type thing as it was a glorious day, and i could get a wheel sorted in the morning. But he engaged me in further conversation and in no time were heading back to manchester.

dantsw13

I actually quite enjoy helping people. A Thankyou is nice, but not always forthcoming.

Fixing bikes is part of the fun for me, but not for all. We have a load of kids (16-18) in our ride group. To start with, none of them even had a tube. Now they all carry a tube/pump/tool and do a lot of their own spannering at home too.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Euro rider content.

martinhutch

A Thankyou is nice, but not always forthcoming.

Really? How depressing!

When I see someone with mechanicals, I’ll always ask if they’ve got everything they need, unless it’s obvious they are sorted.

Northwind

I’ll loan stuff to anyone, tbh I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t. But when it comes to giving stuff away I do tend to apply a little thought including “Should you know better”. So the family we bumped into at Nant y Arian with the puncture and no tubes or pump- they can have a tube to get them home, and a bit of advice fixing the bikes up too while we’re at it.

But the guy on the £5000 bike at glentress walking down the fire-road with a flat, sorry chap, you can walk. Either you should have known better, or you will by the end of today.

juan
    Free Member

Well bear in mind people, I am not talking on helping a fellow rider out on a trail. I am talking on a ski resort with people who don’t even carry water. So basically the worst that can happen to then is to take the lift down again or a walk down to the car park.

GW
    Free Member

I’ll loan stuff to anyone, tbh I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t. But when it comes to giving stuff away I do tend to apply a little thought including “Should you know better”. So the family we bumped into at Nant y Arian with the puncture and no tubes or pump- they can have a tube to get them home, and a bit of advice fixing the bikes up too while we’re at it.

But the guy on the £5000 bike at glentress walking down the fire-road with a flat, sorry chap, you can walk. Either you should have known better, or you will by the end of today. Uh?
    Why should the family not know better too?

simondbarnes

I can’t believe how many **** there are on this thread. I always try and help out a fellow cyclist if I can.

GW
    Free Member

it is singletrackworld and it’s not like you’re new here

project
    Free Member

3 things put me off lending tools ,

1,working at a house, plumber asked to borrow electric drill, i said yes, 10 mins latter, he gave it back he had been using it to drill a large core out of a brick wall for a tumble dryer vent, his comment i think your drills crap and is smoking was enough never to lend a drill again,

2,stopped to help a roadie who asked to borrow a pump, he undid the valve fully and the end ofthe pump shot out to which he gave it a good shove back and bent the pump in half, saying i think its broke.

3, stoped to help a fellow so called cyclist, on a cycle path fix a puncture, as i was fixing his puncture looked round and he was riding off on MY bike, chased him and grabbed bike, he fell off, he wasnt happy so rode back and threw his wheel over the large hedge, which made him more unhappy.

There are some fools who dont care about others tools and dont buy their own.

simondbarnes

it is singletrackworld and it’s not like you’re new here

You’re right, I should know better. Still disappointing though.

maccruiskeen

I actually quite enjoy helping people

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d say “Sling your hook, loser!”.
    In fact it would probably be shouted at them as I sped past on another Strava run.

PMSL.
    +1 for Njee20 and similar. Really saddened to think/hear people would consider not stopping. I believe in karma in as much as if everybody treated others as they hoped to be treated, we’d all be in a better place. We’re not even just talking about general man in the street, we’re talking about someone with a similar passion and interest, a kindred spirit. If we can’t help each other out where are we? 😕

Juan, when your’e crashed with a bust collar bone, are you expecting the guy you left to walk back to the resort to get a tool before continuing his day’s riding to turn the other cheek and help you out? Just a thought, like.

juan
    Free Member

Well can’t the guy carry it’s own tools? And of course if someone is injured I’ll help. Same goes on a real trail with mechanical, I’ll help I might even consider helping roadies although maybe not;-p. And I return the question to you crashtestmonkey, will the guy I lend my tool too, slow down be courteous and don’t try to push my GF of the side of the green/blue track when he goes down?
    I am just saying that you should be prepared, specially if mtbing is your thing…

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve all got me thinking now. I can’t actually remember the last time I needed tools on a ride. Puntures can be repaired without and when the bike in is good condition and ridden well, what can go wrong?
    I might start saving a bit of weight now, cheers guys.

singletrackmind

Stopped in a race to help a lady swap a mech hanger .
    Stopped car on way home from a ride to help a roadie doing the ‘postie scoot’ as he had snapped a chain .
    Usually first in group to get stuck in and help. Normally much faster if you find your tube in the bottom of pack, unravel it and stick in a few pumps of air to give it some shape. in the meantime I have the old tube out and checked tyre for FOD.
    A group of riders on holiday with no tools? Tourists or day trippers probably , and yes I would stop, but I normally ask if help is required . Be rather rude to ask then ride off saying ‘Eat my dust loosers’

dabble
    Free Member

There are some fools who dont care about others tools and dont buy their own.

njee20
    Free Member

Even if I’m not able to help (ie I’m not giving someone my sole tube if I’m on a 5 hour ride) I’ll still stop and say ‘I’m really sorry I’ve only got the one’ or see if they want to phone someone or something.

I find it a bit sad that So many people are such knobs frankly, not surprised mind.

jono84
    Free Member

I usually ride in a group an my mates are less prepared than i so im the kitchen sink kind (there getting better ) we have a few things between us all to get us going if im in said group an come across some one who needs help I’ll normally give it as i have the comfort that my friends can look after my bike if i was on my own tho id be a bit put off the idea of stopping as i dont know if as soon as i get off my bike he\she is gonna nick it leaving me with some supermarket special. …. Could happen?

grum
    Free Member

I find it a bit sad that So many people are such knobs frankly, not surprised mind.

Yes nobbish not to stop but also nobbish to expect other people to always sort you out (when you are experienced enough to know better), and to be ungrateful when they do.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I agree, but I’m personally not so bitter and resentful as to not help people because they may not be thankful. For all you know they lent their last tube to someone else who was unprepared.

juan
    Free Member

For all you know they lent their last tube to someone else who was unprepared.

nope they were not. They weren’t even carrying water with them.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Can of worm, would you:’ is closed to new replies.