• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Can anyone remember when ?
  • discoduck
    Free Member

MTB’s had a tyre on the front wheel twice as fat as the skinny back wheel, before the era of front suspension,

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go that far but yes, I remember a wider tyre on the front. However, suspension forks were already here by then. Although they were short travel flexible things at the time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Still often run a fatter front than rear

pacerc100
    Free Member

I can remember back in 1989 using a 1.5″ Specialized hardpack on the rear. Mainly because my old Marin had really bad clearance. Think I still have one in the loft.

discoduck
    Free Member

I can recall it being about 88 or 89 ?
    I think the tyres were called farmer johns or farmer johns cousin ?

Great whacking things they were up front,

tomhoward

Tioga factory dh 2.1 on the front, factory xc 1.95 on the back of my (at the time) hardcore hardtail. Circa 98/99. Rad times!

mrphil
    Free Member

Hutchinson Jumbo 2.4 iirc in 2000, ran that on the rear on my old Club Roost stinger, up front a 2.1 tyre, forget what now.

avdave2

Tyres on my 86 Rockhopper were an enormous 1.5’s. 18″ chain stays took care of comfort at the back. At the front I eventually ended up with a flexstem

amplebrew

Kona had the A Drive and B drive tyres which were a 2.3 front and a 2.0 rear.

I think they also had propulsion and equilibrium tyres as well which were a 2.1 front and 2.0 rear.

I used to love my flexstem 8)

I always lusted after the one piece titanium Flexstem and handlebar.

theboatman
    Free Member

I currently run a specialized capt 2.2 up front and 2.0 on the rear on my Soul, but i do only have a 100mm of suspension, they are run tubless! but my stem is also a 100mm…the front tyre is such a chod that the diameter of my front wheel is near bang on to my mates new 650b wheels. I’m so old skool, nu school retro cutting edge, it’s well plastic….

jamj1974

I can remember when this was customary OP. I believe Kina used to do it as standard.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yes I think I can remember this iirc it was circa spring 2013 and everyone decided the in thing was to run a Schwalbe Hans Dampf up front and a Nobby Nic on the rear 😉

bigrich

yes, this morning when I looked at my bike

singlespeedstu

It’s still a good idea.

5″ front/2.35″ rear. 😉

Corner Floatage. by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Drac

“Front suspension will never take off it’s just bike manufacturers trying to coin in by changing something so the masses get sucked in to buy them by using marketing. Magazines are sucked into this too and don’t help by hyping them up. Anyway who would pay £1000 for a mountain bike”

Ah takes me back, you never hear anything said like that these days.

DT78
    Free Member

Generally I still run a bigger tyre on the front for a bit more grip…except on my winter/mud bike which has a tiny 1.8 medusa on the front and a bigger 2.0 mud x on the rear. Seems to work really well cutting through clag

discoduck
    Free Member

I remember the girvin flexi stem……. The pre cursor to the Answer Manitou elastomer fork….. I’ve still got a pair of them on an GT Zaskar that’s not been ridden for 15 years !

wordnumb
    Free Member

DT78:

except on my winter/mud bike which has a tiny 1.8 medusa on the front and a bigger 2.0 mud x on the rear.

Interesting – how does the Medusa perform up front? It’s my default rear tyre (1.8) in mud, snow and ice but I’d never considered run one in front as well.

igm

DT78 – I can remember when 1.8 was big. People used 1.5 Continental Cross Country for the muddier days.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone remember when ?’ is closed to new replies.