Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a free website design program?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I need to build a simple website – are there any free (simple) tools out there to help me do it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tons, but you need to know more about the site you want to build before specifying the software to make it.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Okay, well it's going to be a website for a company offering classes. It doesn't need to be complicated – just a few sections detailing the timetable and details, some photos and a section to get in touch with me.

Any suggestions of specific programs?

packer
    Free Member

Don't know of any decent free ones, but most paid for software offers a free trial which should be long enough to do what you want.
    Try Apple iWeb or Adobe Dreamweaver.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So it's a static site and probably doesn't need to include on-site payment handling? You can easily make do with something like seamonkey or coffeecup then. Then if you need something more you could spend a few quid and get something simpler. As mentioned above though, you could try a trial edition of one of the biggies, but remember the trials dont usually cover commercial use.

The linux geek in me wants to say "just use a text editor", but thats a bit mean.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

You could try Joomla. Most ISP's offer it as an install option. There's lots of plugins to over complicate the issue, but for basic use you just pick a theme you like and type the articles.

TheFlyingOx

nVu is free, and does pretty much everything you'd need.

This site tells you how to use it.

I got a book called "Create your own website in a weekend" for about £5 from a remainder shop and made this, http://www.aecmilitant.co.uk although, admittedly, it took a lot more than one weekend and I later picked up another cheap book on HTML.
    There's a few good HTML tutor websites around for free now, so you don't even need to buy a book.
    One of the best tricks I learned was to right click on a page and "View Source". This will show you the HTML code for that page. Pick a simple website that is something like what you want and us it as a template.

eckinspain
    Free Member

thanks everyone.
    coffeeking, yes just a static site and payment handling won't be needed. Will those programs you mentioned be able to provide a "Contact" section?

SaxonRider

I have had good luck with Moonfruit. Their templates are quite attractive, and easy to edit.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

NVU

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Mr Site?

konabunny
    Free Member

argh – I was trying to be helpful and explain as I have just gone through this but I was making it more complicated and confusing.

Google three things:

using blog as template for website

using free website templates

using Kompozer to make own website

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The contact system can be as simple as displaying your email address – most browsers will take you to an email client if you clicked on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a free website design program?’ is closed to new replies.