Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Can anyone help shorten my longlist?
  • TomB

We're approaching wallet-opening time, so in the interest of indecision and trusting the opinions of anonymous opinionated forum dwellers, can I seek some STW knowledge?

The rider: me, 6'3", 13 stone, averagely fit/able/brave.
    Current bike: Merlin Malt 4 since 2004
    Budget: Approx £2000
    The new bike: 1st Full sus, do it all bike for mainly rocky up and down Lake District rides up to 4 hours, plus occasional trips away. (Keswick based)

Ruled out (for various reasons, some irrational): Orange 5, Specialized, 29ers, long fork hard tails, anything I would have to mail order. Will be keeping current bike so need a full build, not just frame.

Tests booked: Cube Stereo/AMS 125, Commencal Meta 5
    Others under consideration, not available to test near home: Trek Ex, Cannondale Rize, LaPierre Zesty, Giant TranceX.

I'm particularly keen to hear recommendations from folks that ride locally to me regularly, but all thoughts gladly received…..

Thanks, in anticipation

Tom

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

If I understand you correctly you're based in Keswick?

I'm pretty sure KMB have a demo Trek Fuel Ex..

Edit: Checking their website it's only a medium

steveh

Marin quad something either 120 or 140 version as you prefer. Ghyllside cycles in ambleside stock them. I'm not a lakes local but my folks have a place there so ride in the area a few times a year.

Mines a 140 version and feels great and like a bigger bike so i guess a 120 more xc version might suit you better.

nickhart
    Free Member

i'd look at the fit before looking at what others say on here, no offence to anyone but at 6'3" you're probably going to have to compromise on size.
    for my ten penneth i'd look into buying a second hand turner xce or five spot frame in large and the build it up. but that's me. the trek does look nice though.

Tracey

Marin Wolf Ridge should be on your demo list, Ive had a few F/S bikes and this is the best allrounder for the UK Ive had. Still taking my Enduro to the Alps though. Mines a small Im 5' 9" and girls dont tell their weight

First class climbing and awesome on the downhills

Tracey

TomB

Hmm, those marin (and Whyte) swing arms sure are ugly- do you get used to it after a bit?

KMB's only demo that would fit me was the meta, nothing else, unfortunately.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, agree on the Marin, but would also add in a Spesh Enduro.

clareymorris

I think you will like the Meta 🙂

I'm trying to think about what folk ride on a Tuesday night Keswick ride to possibly help with your choice………..but there is such a variety I feel I am only going to confuse bearing in mind everyone loves their bikes (I am not including Max in this!!!) 🙂

On-one ti 456 (Stoney)
    Pace 305 singlespeed (Stoney)
    Santa Cruz Bullit (Mark)
    Santa Cruz Blur LT (Adrian)
    another Santa Cruz, it's blue(Dave)
    Meta 5.5 (GavGas)
    Hummer (Gavgas)
    3 x Orange 5 (Clare, Anne, Steve)
    Orange P7 (Clare)
    Charge Duster Titaniaum (Rolymo)
    Orange Alpine (Lordoftheringsting)
    Trek Fuel (8 Clare + 9 Jim)
    Marin full suss of some sort (sorry Neil)
    Pace 305 (Phil)
    Kona umm it's beige… (Dave K)
    Giant Trance (Andy)
    Kona King (Gordie)
    Whatever KMB have on demo (fave so far the Yeti 575) (Graham!!)
    Whoever I have left out don't kill me!!

TomB

Cheers Clarey, I must make it along to a Tuesday night at some point, the rides sound fun (the hikes not so much!)

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Tom – if you come down on a Tuesday, have a word with Graham. He seems to have tested every bike KMB stock recently 😀 (he was out on a Cove Stiffee last night).

ClareyMorris – you missed out Albert 😥

bungalistic
    Free Member

What sort of riding do you chaps (and ladies) do on Tuesday nights? I'm not unfit, but nor am I some crazy XC whippet, but fancied coming laong sometime to sample some of the other routes, or cheeky singletrack that I know gets ridden.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you're going to try a Trance X, try a Reign as well.

I think mine is perfect in the Lakes.

boxelder

I'm a little taller than you and Keswick based. I have a Kona King – changed a lot of bits, but it would give you a flavour of a 4" lightweight fauxbar type bike. I prefer it to the Spesh FSR I had before. Mail me if interested. I'm going to try to make the KMB ride this Tues.
    Amos (head honcho) at KMB is your height and always has a latest full sus – think it's a Trek at the moment. I'm sure he'd let you have a blast. Buy from them and they'll see you right.
    I think this would make a great Lakes bike
    maybe a bit hefty, but if you're keeping the HT, worth a look.

desf
    Free Member

Heckler has got to be considered?

Demo bikes listed here.

zeus
    Free Member

Consider this another vote for the Marin Quad 140. Brilliant all-rounder, and super solid when the going gets tough.

Cheers

—————–
    Live fast, take chances!
    http://www.iRideAfrica.com
    South Africa's premier riding holiday solution for cyclists, by cyclists!

sockpuppet

i really like my five – has been coast to coast through the lakes without problem

yes, another rider telling you that the bike he picked is the best-est. i've tried to buy a different one, tested loads, and stuck with it. i'm on my second (after some thievery denied me the first one). very little remains standard, but the frame's not put a foot wrong after five years between the two of them.

you get a pretty decent spec for about 2150 – add float R QR15 and Pro2 as extra IMO – and a tried and tested design. it doesn't change year to year because it works!

clareymorris

OMG how could I miss Albert – he is the bike I see most of every tuesday!!!!

Does Adrian have a Blur or heckler – I'm not sure now!

Oh was Graham out on the fab green stiffee from KMB?!

Bungaliastic – a Keswick Tuesday is big ups, big downs, mostly rocky and quickish at times but planty of waiting when required!……….come along you'll love it and will be more than welcome 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

he is the bike I see most of every tuesday!!!!

That'll be when you're laughing as I'm slamming over the bars will it ? 😀

Graham was on the green stiffee but I think it did his back in a bit (we popped up Whinlatter with Mark).

clareymorris

…………as you are laughing at me for falling in the bracken heh heh 🙂

Dango
    Free Member

DeeJay
    Free Member

Just tested a Lapierre 314 in large – excellent bike and they do it in an XL if you need a bigger version – £1900 – it really is as good as the mags say.

TomB

Cheers all, a wealth of info as usual. Boxelder, I've ridden a mates Roscoe, and it's definitely a nice bike, doesn't ride 'heavy', very solid in a good way. Can't buy one- he's got one!

The Meta test is complete, and unfortunately it's not the bike for me. I felt too far 'behind' the bottom bracket for efficient pedaling, and riding uphill felt like I was towing an anchor (even with pro pedal on). Rocky techy uphill was easy though, very flattering. Swapping back and forth between the meta and the roscoe the difference was clear on the long climbs, and I'm not willing to sacrifice that much for the benefits the meta design brings (very nice through tight and twisty stuff though). My mate even had to use the small front cog when he got on the Meta, something I've never seen him do ever, anywhere!

KMB reckon trek ex8/9.

Now I've got more of a feel for this full suss malarky, any others I should rule out (Zesty?) on the basis of the meta test? I definitely want to keep some of the saddle up efficiency of my hardtail when it's needed, like on long but non techy climbs, but also would like something forgiving/flattering when descending over typical steep rocky terrain. Not likely to be getting any significant air in the near future, except a few inches on whinlatter south loop 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

check the warranty info. that would knock a couple of bikes off your list.
    i wouldn't buy a bouncy bike with less than 4-5 years warranty, some importers are known to be a nightmare to deal with too.

Kramer
    Free Member

Tracey – that picture was taken on the cut gate wasn't it?

steel4real
    Free Member

My suggestions:-

Kona Dawg – but pedalling position may not be to your liking.
    Cannondale Prophet or for fast pedalling Rush.

Sounds like you best try a Zesty 140 or Marin though. As you're enjoying the test riding thing, why not see if two of the bikes you dismissed (assuming they hadn't been tried)are as bad as you think eg Orange 5 & Specialized Stumpy or Enduro.

But is more than 5" of travel ever going to pedal well ?

My 6" Enduro SL pedals unbelievably well

clareymorris

TomB based on your requirements you are probably going to like the Treks. Light and responsive (Not too light though) and amazingly sure footed on the descents with the Fox float fork up front 🙂 Just make sure it is not set up too soft for you. Maybe try 1/4 sag rather than a 3rd on the back, as mine can feel overly active with a 1/3 sag. However as you are so used to a hardtail pretty much anything is going to feel sluggish at the back and compared. I notice when I swap from the P7 to a full suss!!

Shame you didn't like the meta. I suppse though GavGAs' meta is a couple of years old now and I think they have changed some since then. His climbs amazingly well, so stable, and just keeps on going and going (mind you , Gav does just keep peddling, the bugger!!!!!)

clareymorris
    Shandy
    Free Member

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I want something that is more forgiving than a hardtail. I've already got a Meta 5 frame sitting around but I want something with less travel that'll still take a hammering.

Are there any 4x bikes out there with a halfway sensible seat angle for somebody who's 6'3" and 14 stone? Are there any short travel xc bikes that can be built to take a thrashing?

Tracey

Yes pic is coming back towards Langsett

Tracey

rolfharris
    Free Member

This came into our bike shop yesterday from one of our other stores. The guy wheeled it in and I fell in love and will be buying one in September.

£2199 and it's a beast. It weighs (on our scales) 32lbs but the tyres are 1kg each so you could lop it down to a more reasonable weight easily.

I can't find a photo of it that does it justice- you just HAVE to see one.

Norco Fluid LT2 by the way. The also do a Fluid 2 with the same geometry but 140mm travel and a Revelation fork that's 29lbs and a more boring colour.

ChrisG1975

TomB…

I know this post is a year or so old… but I’m curious about what you got in the end?

I currently have a Meta 5 and have the same problem as you – I either feel too cramped on it, or feeling like I’m sitting too far over the back wheel. Even tweaking with seatpost, saddle position, stem etc.

I’ve been looking at the Cube Stereo and AMS125 as there are some great deals on 2010 models. Hard to find a dealer to try them out. Similar travel but different geometry. The Stereo is obviously a bit more robust but I’m worried it might be too similar to my Meta. How did your Cube tests go? What did you settle on in the end?

Cheers, Chris

z1ppy

my new chumba and some thank yous thread kinda gives it away..

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help shorten my longlist?’ is closed to new replies.