Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Campsite recommendations – Lake District
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Please

Ideally not too far from the coast

zaskarrider
    Free Member

Hi jamesgarbett

this ones not near the coast but defo one for the list of ones to visit.
    Sykeside campsite…it is a great site with a fantastic pub and an even better atmosphere.. plus its just down the road from Glen ridding and the path or cycle route to Helvellyn…..
    i would give the site and the area 10 out of 10…

StuF

you could try fisherground

taka
    Free Member

theres one by ullswater which at peak time cost us (a family of four with 1 tent and 1 car) £85 for 2 days! cant remember the name of it but you can hire out roving boats and canoes etc. from it

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just back from Castlerigg Farm (not manor) nr Keswick. Lots of rules, all enforced. Felt safe and peaceful.

Mind you me and my mate nearly didn't get in as we were technically a "group". So I told them we were lovers and we were let in OK. 😆 I'm not joking.

One of the road signs was amusing: EXTREMELY SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING [no punctuation]. When we saw some kids playing we just assumed they were dim ones.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks buzz

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Wasdale National Trust campsite is closer to the coast than most.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I stayed at the Great Langdale NT site last weekend. Not the best run campsite I have stayed on (by a country mile) and is a bit expensive for what was on offer. Not having stayed on an NT campsite site before, but having many years experience of the NT's heritage sites, I was rather disappointed.

Pieface

Campsite just up from the posh Castlerigg one worth a punt too

Drac

Great Langdale site is great used it for years, proper showers, good drying rooms, clean toilets and don't think the price is out the way. Not very good for the coast though. Still suppose it's down personal opinion.

stevehine

2nd vote for Fisherground; it's our usual choice when we're over that way

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The one over the water from Glenridding, stupidly technical singletrack from the backdoor, i spent the best part of a week just sessioning it untill i had nealry the whole thing without a dab and at speed, not easy given the number of steps!

Its also been free every time ive been as I always seem to find notes/cash on the bridleway!

And…………….

If you look arround the campsite (preferably a quiet day) then there's an absolutely humungous high speed tabletop/step down to session! The take offs about 3ft high, the top bits a gently sloping 15ft or so before the propper landing.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

ive just got back from the lakes and stayed at the wheatsheaf pub camping site in Lorton… very very nice local food and great ales.. site was fine but only one shower in the toilet block.. so could be waiting a while in season

lowey

Another vote for fisherground.

snowslave

fisherground is fab & v handy for the coast. Plus you're allowed fires

tragically1969
    Free Member

Another vote for fisherground.

Cant understand what it is with fisherground, i have never found it to be anything but terribly overcrowded and usually full of chavs, as for fires they are a major headache on campsites, you tent stinks of smoke and is usually covered in ash after one night !!

Only a few miles away try this one, its a 30 second walk to a great pub too:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=3647

snowslave

I'm a chav

tragically1969
    Free Member

snowslave – Member
    I'm a chav

😆 I thought you might be, didnt want to bring that up though !! 😉

snowslave

S'ok. The fires is rubbish innit cos they mean you don't see ther fluroescent lights under mi saxo innit? 🙂

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

We stayed at the farm/camping place a mile aways from Great Langdale – this was fine the toilets and showers were clean, it was quiet at night and we went there at the begining of September. It was fairly cheap for the camping and we could buy free range eggs at the farmhouse which is always nice. If you stay here would definitely recommend eating at the Glasshouse in Ambleside – they were on Ramsey's kitchen nightmares. Can also recommend the pub 5 minutes away.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendations – Lake District’ is closed to new replies.