Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Camping on Windemere
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

Me and mrs geminafantasy are looking to go camping in the Lakes in a couple of weeks, ideally we’re looking for a lakeside campsite – does anyone have any suggestions?

It doesn’t have to be Windemere but we’re looking for something lakeside because I’m an old romantic me 😳

Cheers guys

Moonhead
    Free Member

Try Low Wray, national trust campsite on Windermere.

Always had good time there. I think you can make bookings now, didn’t used to be the case but that is going back a few years.

Edit: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-holidays/w-camp/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping-low_wray.htm

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Park Coppice on Coniston is a fantastic site..

nick1962
    Free Member

Prefer Keswick and Derwentwater myself.There are a couple of lakeside sites one a camping and caravan club but I prefer Castlerigg Hall,a quiet family site with good facilities.It’s up on the hill but has some fanatstic views across Derwentwater over to Cats Bells and Skiddaw etc brilliant at sunset

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Googled Low Ray it looks great!

Thanks for the suggestions

rickmeister
    drinkmoreport
    Free Member

The National Trust one in Coniston is good, sorry but i cannot remember the name?! you can stroll right out of your tent and have a morning dip in the Lake, easy.

grum
    Free Member

Side Farm next to Ullswater is nice. Not much flat ground though.

Helios
    Free Member

Low Wray seconded – we spent a week there right by the lake… You have to pay a little bit extra to be by the shore but it is well worth it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Side farm lovely but gets very very busy and there are no marked pitches so can get a bit cramped. Camping and caravan club site at Keswick is great although the staff can be a bit grumpy, their Windermere site isn’t really at Windermere as it’s across the road from staveley.

binners

Another vote for Park Coppice next to Coniston. A lot quieter than Windemere. Don’t forget to take rock pegs though. You’ll need them!

postierich
    Free Member

Low Wray campsite dont think you are alllowed to park your car next to your tent! we did but the campsite was empty1

DSC00376 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

DSC00374 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Camping on Windemere’ is closed to new replies.