Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Camper van layout.
  • mountainman

Ok just got myself a LDV Convoy ex post office van .
    SWB HI TOP, with side door.
    Has a partial camper conv ,although basic of platform bed rear half,under neath storage.
    Small bunk over cab area,which my 12 year old has claimed.
    Bare middle area ,hole n vents for fridge but units removed prev owner..

Any suggestions for layout, need cooker area, table , storage .

Also intend to upgrade front seats,seen some comfy ones down local breakers from a mitsi crv sport ,with clever rear seat , that folds flat, that i can modify as passenger seats.

Also best rack for bike on back,high up to clear tow kit/tool spare hatch.

Got to repaint too ,as PO RED too boring ,was thinking Emerald Green.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I would check out websites for all the bespoke van converters ’cause they have spent years working on the layouts – save you re-inventing it all.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

In mine, we went slightly different ways.

Had Bed with bike store underneath in the back. Put bench seat down the back wall for sitting & more storage.

Instead of fixed cooking we got a 2 ring gas burner and a gas BBQ. Was working up to the awning too. Made a good combo of space vs use as we had some fold out chairs and table too. Could cook inside if needed or definatley eat and chill out inside.

Check what insulation is in there before you do too much. Kingspan and carpet underlay work well and ended up with hot water tank jackets for the roof.

IHN

Another shout for Amdro (although that’s predominantly VW based).

robh

You need to get yourself spending some time here: http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/
    All ideas and questions imaginable.

Get yourself registered and it may save oyu some money on insurance as well.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We’ve got a T4 Westfalia conversion. It’s lovely but if I was to do a conversion from scratch I’d probably do things slightly differently.

Captain’s seats which swivel around into the van are great – mean you maximize the use of space.

Full width rock and roll bed would give you 3 seats in the back and storage behind. If you go with the VW type, there’s storage underneath too for a table and other bits.

In terms of storage I’d go for a smaller number of large lockers or units which you can easily stuff stuff into so as to leave the interior uncluttered when you’re parked up. Our Westy has loads of little nooks and crannies and a cavernous wardrobe but it’s all a bit hard to access so you only end up using about 60% of the storage space and you end up with gear strewn all over the place. If you’ve a high top, then there’s scope for some overhead storage which saves on floor space.

Go for vinyl, cork or rubber flooring – not carpet, it will get really manky.

Removable kitchen unit is a good idea if you also want to use the van for carrying stuff. Also means you’ve got the option to cook outside if the weather is nice.

Consider fitting a wet locker for drying out stuff when the weather is bad.

Eberspacher (sp?) or similar night heater is a good idea if you want to use the van all year around. With good insulation obviously.

Opening skylight or sunroof a good idea for ventilation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Camper van layout.’ is closed to new replies.