Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cameras. Ixus versus Lumix etc – recommendations please.
  • wl
    Free Member

I’m after a small, affordable compact that takes decent pictures in most conditions. Ideally it’ll have a 28mm lense, but that’s certainly not vital. Main thing is it needs to be reliable, quick to operate and take great shots (sharp and well exposed), hopefully for around £100-£150 in a sale somewhere. Ixus and Lumix ranges look like the best bet. Any thoughts or recommendations? Ta.

cp

either Ixus or Lumix ranges are excellent! I have an old Ixus 55, and it just keeps on going and going. Very well made, nice to use. Goes in the biking rucksack most rides, comes to work everyday…

the current ranges of both though are very good.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Anyone else?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m no expert on cameras. I just know I like my Lumix. Can’t find it right now or remember the model, but it was about £250 IIRC. It doesn’t really have any fancy features, just takes nice photos.

Edit: Seems it’s probably an FS30 I have.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I have a lumix dmcsomethin or other, only 6mp but takes good pics.

The above and some pics about the highlands in this months mag were all taken with a lumix

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Lumix FMC-FS10. these normally reatil at about 125-135 in most places like curry’s etc but I went to the Panasonic shop and got it for 99. Really pleased with it

rOcKeTdOg

I broke 2 ixus in less than 2 years, take great pics but can’t handle the wet/dusty nature of biking, got a Lumix now, so far so good TZ10 has a 25mm lens and HD video

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ideally it’ll have a 28mm lense

do you mean 35mm film frame equivalent coverage? Without knowing the size of the sensor, specifying the focal length isn’t useful.

antigee

Lumix TZ10 here (this has gps because i thought i needed it for a local history project – there is an identical GPS less model in price range)

25mm lens is impressive for landscape, menus not obvious to me at all and the manual comes on a cd so you can’t stick in yr pocket only look up afterwards why you couldn’t do what you want to do so i’m not using it as much as should be but seems tough enough

vrapan
    Free Member

You should be able to find a second hand/discounted LX3 for less than 300£. If you do get it brilliant camera especially if you like wider lenses.

Sorry, didn’t see the 100-150£ budget… Scrap the LX3 then

dazzlingboy

Lumix FT2 – waterproof – image stabilized – shockproof – small – 28mm wide. Little bit above budget but very good.

Recently used on off road motorbike trip to Sahara – lots of sand and dust and general abuse – all shrugged off. Ideal for biking too.

I am quite into my photography (also have an EP1, G10 and EOS 7D) and this compares very well for a compact camera.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cameras. Ixus versus Lumix etc – recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.