• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Camera Gurus? quality digi compact recommendations please
  • MussEd
    Free Member

I’ve recently sold my dSLR gear mainly because it was wasting away in a cupboard whilst I reached for a compact to capture family events, biking and skiing trips. Just the sheer bulk of my Nikon and it’s lenses made it a bit of a pain to lug around, except on dedicated photo trips.

The thing is I think I want to go for a top end compact now to allow some of the level of control and functions afforded by dSLRs. I’d like to start taking better action pictures so a fast continuous mode is a consideration. Also the one thing I do miss coming from dSLR is being able to isolate a subject for better portraits etc, something I’ve never been able to do with cheaper compacts in the past.

So far I’ve been looking at the Canon G12 and also S95.

Are there any other cameras out there that may meet that kind of wishlist? Or do any of you experts have any experience of these two models? Any views would be very welcome…

ski
    Free Member

If you looking at the G12, its worth checking out the Nikon P7000 too.

There are not many digi compacts that offer RAW files but that Nikon does 😉

Do any compact digi’s have fast continuous mode for sports photography?

MussEd
    Free Member

I’m asking you! But thanks will check out the Nikon…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyha
    Free Member

I have a G10 great camera can be carried over the neck and attached to a chest strap of the camelback in one of the lowe bags. Suits me well, will take a few knocks not too bulky and you will use it as opposed to stopping to get a dslr out of the camelback.

Good but trying to get action shots are beyond my level of expertise, the s95 buttons may be a bit small if using gloves.

HTTP404
    Free Member

you should also consider the new Olympus XZ-1….
    larger sensor with a superfast lens

DezB
    Free Member

S95 is a great camera. Can’t fault it. I think some people think the shots come from an SLR.
    I’m by no means a photographer (or a “camera guru” for that matter!), but here’s a few examples from the weekend:

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I have a Leica D-Lux 4, its truly excellent

rewski
    Free Member

lumix have leica lenses

rewski
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

Canon Ixus 1000 HS

or any Ixus for that matter.

MussEd
    Free Member

Can’t tease the budget to stretch to a Leica. Had a Lumix a while back, lens went kaput, not keen on another one, though I did like it.

That S95 looks good though DezB, though that wee chap doesn’t seem too happy with his Thomas train set! ps did I sell you Pikes a while back?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Looking at the same thing at the moment, probably going to go with a G12 (although have been wondering about a DSLR and getting the Nikon D3100!)

I have found this website to be very helpful:

http://snapsort.com/compare

e.g.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_PowerShot_G12-vs-Canon_PowerShot_S95

DezB
    Free Member

That S95 looks good though DezB, though that wee chap doesn’t seem too happy with his Thomas train set! ps did I sell you Pikes a while back?

If I knew how to use it properly, it would be even better 🙂
    Yeah, little Oscar always has that look on his face! Funny little fella.
    No, I’ve bought some Fox Vanillas off someone on here, but not Pikes.

BTW, I chose the S95 over the G12 just because it is so small and easy to carry around. The only negatives are the zoom isn’t up to today’s 12X standards and it takes a bit of getting used to not holding it with your finger blocking the flash popping up. A badly constructed sentence there, but I’m sure you get the drift.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am very pleased with my S95, although it seems to have far more functionality than I understand right now. The low light function is particularly good, and it amazes me how it captures handheld pics without much blur, whereas my Ixus would be really blurry.

December 14th by simon ralli, on Flickr

December 3rd by simon ralli, on Flickr

December 7th by simon ralli, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Surely some mistake there Simon… you’re not in any of the photos! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

GX200, accept nothing less.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Surely some mistake there Simon… you’re not in any of the photos!

Oh you’re right! What was I thinking?? Here you go 😀

December24th by simon ralli, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Phew! 🙂

s
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

GX200, accept nothing less.

I am a big Ricoh fan, (own a GRD & GX100/200) but for sports photography & fast continuous mode?

you are taking the **** right? 😯

OP – Have a look at the S95/P7000/G12

imn

I have the Canon S90 (version prior to S95) and it’s pretty good. Ergonomics are ok, but much improved by aftermarket finger grip (search for Richard Franiec, and allow ~£20). Shot to shot speed is slow after SLR, and zoom is a bit short, but the flexibility of shutter, aperture and manual modes compensates. Size is ideal to fit in a pocket (with grip fitted), so it gets taken out more often; this was one of the main reasons I didn’t go for the larger G10/11/12.

LeeW

redthunder
    Free Member

Anyone else got an Ixus 1000 HS.

I just noticed on mine when you hold it to your ear there is a contact rumbling fan type noise.

I thought it was the IS or something like that switched it off and still does it. Now I’m worrying about it 🙁

Does yours ?

thebaker
    Free Member

My girlfriend is a photographer used to a Canon 1Ds and she has just bought the Panasonic GF1, great little camera with interchangeable lenses too. Think we paid about £600 with a case and memory card from Amazon.

Just been to China and it coped well in low light and mixed light conditions. It has good manual function and the 20mm pancake lens it came with produces some great shallow depth of field shots.

Worth a look in my opinion

GEDA
    Free Member

Any good deals on the Canon g12 at the moment. How much of a difference to my now dead g9 will it be?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Warehouse Express have it for £398

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-powershot-g12-black-digital-camera/p1522443

Don’t know if that’s the cheapest but I have used them before.

LeeW

If you’re interested my Leica D Lux 4 is still available, email in profile.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Camera Gurus? quality digi compact recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.