Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Camelbak Palos 4l real world views
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anybody got one? I hate wearing a full on back pack, especially in the summer months, don’t wear one at all for night rides, got a small fanny pack 😆 for those duties

but on longer weekend rides the water becomes an issue where a bottle just wont suffice (albeit If I had guaranteed fill up points it would be fine)

so the palos 4 looks decent, holds 2ltr water, along with my 600ml bottle would be enough for me for 5 hours riding

but the weight worries me, tools I’m not so bothered about as I take minial (enough for puncture/multi tool etc etc) but the weight of the water sloshing about is the concern especially on descents, does it stay put?

any real world views appreciated 🙂

wwaswas

I’ve used one for about 6 months. It needs a rain/mud cover in winter as it’s right in the firing line.

Otherwise it’s far more comfortable than a pack and you stay cool on a warm ride.

Weight’s well distributed and around your hips so not really noticeable.

It does move slightly but no more than a pack really and you’d don’;t notice it when you’re riding, only when you stand and jump to see what happens.

orena45

I asked this a few months back but I opted for a Skyline 10R instead.

I just couldn’t go ‘full enduro’ in the end 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers wwaswas – informative and helpful first response to a thread on STW?! nice one, sounds like what i want it for and good to know it doesnt shift, as i dont want keep messing around all day long with and strapping it back up so to speak

oreana – haha, im not arsed what it looks like, no mtb’er ever looks cool regardless so im not fussed by that….how does the skyline compare then? does that shift around? its still a rucksack though to me so its not really any different than current camelbak

i love the freedom of movement without a back pack on, it feels so much better

orena45

Yeah really liking the Skyline. Sits low and is stable and don’t really notice it. Wrote a review of it on my blog recently.

timidwheeler

Couldn’t decide between the Palos and the slightly smaller…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-flashflo-lr-hydration-system/

I am currently waiting for the postman to bring me both so I can have a good look at them.
    I will post my result. I’m hoping to take the winner for a test ride this afternoon.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats a great review orena45 – ill try and see one in the flesh and try it on before making a decision, but sounds a bit like you wanted a palos but didnt want a fanny pack that ultimately put you off 😆 so as im not fussed about looking a tit 😥 its still my main idea, but good to know the other one works well too with the same sort of ideas about being low

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

flashlo only has 1.5litres i think for longer rides in summer id need 2litres minimum really, but if the hyrdation thing suits you then it looks a little smaller and neater than the palos, but please do report back, pref with a pic of each side by side 🙂

orena45

Thanks OW 😀

timidwheeler

Just arrived.

The reservoir is exactly the same in both.
    Its a 1.5ltr.

The Palos weighs 520grams
    The flashflo weighs 420grams
    (Both with labels still attached)

The Flashflo is a bit smaller and more discrete. The Palos is a bit bulkier and enduro bright blue.

I’ve put a 3kg dumbell in them and bounced round the house. Both seemed ok although there was some up/down movement. That said I would expect similar from a rucksack.
    The Palos has a stiffer back which did seem to handle the weight a tad better.

Internal space – the Palos doesn’t seem that much bigger but the Palos has a roll tube on the back which you could use to stash a proper jacket in. I’m not sure I would though as it would stick a long way out and make the pack feel unstable. The Palos also has hip pockets which can be handy.

While the reservoirs are identical they have different clips on the mouth piece. The Palos has a magnetic clip on the waist belt. The flashflo has a clip you can attach to your shirt or the waist belt (it’s more faffy to do that than the Palos one)

I’m probably going to keep the flashflo. I’m looking for something as small and light as possible to carry water in (and is easy to drink out of as I go along). If I need to carry more water I have a small very light bag type water bottle which will sit inside with no bother.

I’m only looking to carry water, possibly a gopro (or camera phone) and a tiny ultra light jacket. I keep all my tools and spares in Mr TW’s back pack.

That said he might end up with the Palos. They look ideal for our holiday. (Uplift in a hot place.)

I’ll do you some photos.

timidwheeler

timidwheeler

With a gopro for scale.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bloodyhell’ timidwheeler = legend!

nice one for that and the write up, daft question if they are same water hydration and roughly the same size what exactly is the difference? is the flashlo an outgoing model perhaps? I know the palos4 is brand new (ish)

great pics, and for the extra space id probs go for the palos as I have something smaller for the shorter rides already, this I’m hoping is big enough for all dayers’ with enough water in the reservoir and a bottle on frame

timidwheeler

Just going to take the flashflo for a ride. I’ll come back to you.

timidwheeler

Back from my test ride.
    As far as I understand it the flashflo is aimed at runners and the Palos at mountain bikers.

The Palos is bigger as it has the roll out and two hip pockets. You could use the roll out to hold your knee pads rather than a jacket.

The main compartment seems the same size on both. Here is a picture of the flashflo with a full bladder, 27.5 tube, Aldi multitool, wiggle windproof, pump and puncture repair kit. It all fits and will do up.

I used the flashflo for a three hour road ride. In this weather 1.5 litres was enough. It didn’t bounce about and at one point a panicked as I thought I had left my rucksack at the shop before realising I was wearing my bumbag. I’m happy with it.

Hope this helps.

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve been using mine now for about 4 months and I think its spot on, now its warmer I put another bottle on the bike. ( if going further distance)

I can fit in all the essentials that i need and its nice and secure and doesn’t bob about.

Cant fault them

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

timidwheeler – many thanks for that! very much appreciated! it looks spot on for me then being aimed at MTB, thanks again for the info and pics, top work!

beano – cheers for that, sounds like its worth a punt, that’s my plan to have bottle on bike for longer rides, and keep it as a spare, that way bottles always easier knock on someones door and ask them fill it up worse case too 🙂

strangey13
    Free Member

I found mine comfy once I got all the straps set up, can adjust them down as the bladder empties too. Just be careful with the magnetic clip, mine popped off the hose somewhere never to be seen again so had to buy a new one.

timidwheeler

I wouldn’t mind adding the magnet bit to my flashflo. Where did you buy your replacement?

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered removing the magnetic clip I find it much easier and quicker just to remove the tube from the clip instead.

Whatever is easier tbh but thats my personal preference

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well I opted for the skyline 10lr instead, the water thing sold it for me being 3litre as opposed to 1.5lr in the in palos

first ride impressions in some serious heat in a 4hr ride and its insanely good, doesn’t shift at all on descent, comfy and just forget you are wearing it 🙂

very impressed cheers for the input

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Palos 4l real world views’ is closed to new replies.